Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Many devices these days can actually boot from the SD slot. I believe that actually even the Surface line can do it, but I've never actually tried it myself.

Still, it's ridiculous that Asus can throw in an 8GB microSD card (which let's be real, probably cost them less than $2 at the volumes they're buying at), and Microsoft didn't do the same on their $500 Surface RT/ 2 that still has the same 32GB SSD that the Asus has.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

One thing I'm wondering about though is the reliability of these cards. In my anecdotal experience, SD cards seem to have a relatively high failure rate. Have I just been unlucky, or is this generally true? I guess DVDs aren't necessarily very reliable either =P

3. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder if a restore from sd will actually work, doesn't seem like any OEM actually tested restoring from USB on these single port devices yet that is what they push, I wouldn't assume Asus's solution will work either.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

4. jhoff80

Maybe, but if it's a part that they're producing, it also makes it drastically easier for the possibility of having them send you a new one too.

5. reg21

reg21 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello guys, I'm thinking in buy a new tablet with windows and the choosen was Dell Venue 8 pro, because Asus vivotab 8 was showed in the CES and I though that it will be longer to be avaliable, but reading this thread I'm confused, is now released? if not, any idea when will be avaliable?

Thanks in advance!

6. Mesosphere

Good point.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm excited about the SD option, but it does beg the question of WHY do they still build 32GB devices. 64/128GB should be the baseline options. If you have to cut corners that bad to make a margin, your long term survivability is really questionable (AND YES, I do know they all include mSDXC while iFad does not - it's still ridiculous).

8. Mesosphere

Dunno, It isn't enough space for me, but I could see people who have smaller notebooks, don't have a bloated email data file, don't install any big games/desktop apps, and are fine with keeping their stuff on SkyDrive being satisfied with the 32 GB option. Several V8P owners have gone for the 32 GB option and seem to happy with it.

And they aren't necessarily needing to cut that corner to make a margin. Maybe they just want a bigger margin =P

9. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, 32 gb isn't a lot, but it's enough for a lot of people. Most people fill their tablets with pictures, music, and movies, all of which can be put on micro SD cards. Even when using it solely as a productivity device, the documents and files you create can be put on the SD card. So the 32 gb limitation really only limits how many programs you can put on the machine, and how many do you really need?

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

I realize this crowd won't particularly like the reason, but the use case for the 32GB machines is SkyDrive Integration, it is why the Surface Team included the 200GB of free space with the Gen 2 devices...

Xbox Music Cloud Sync - I don't need music locally
    SkyDrive and SkyDrive Pro - I don't need all of my data locally

11. dstrauss

I guess people could be satisfied with 32GB, but it just seems to smack of Apple-like "We know what's best for you." Amazing that in 1984, Apple won unending accolades for the Super Bowl ad bashing monolithic conformity, and yet now who demands the same with its walled gardens around its users...

I just don't like being told (or given no options) to use the cloud...just because you're paranoid doesn't me they aren't watching you...:eek:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  12. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

You mean.....

paranoid.jpg

dstrauss, lovelaptops and Mesosphere like this.
  13. dstrauss

Is that what that thing in my back yard is...:eek::eek:

14. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Okay ... the Mix 2 is 5.2" x 8.5" x .3" ... the Dell 8 is 5.12" x 8.5" x .35" ... the Asus is 5.1" x 8.5" x .35". So, it looks like the Dell accessories and cases will work with the Asus. The Mix 2 (I like the Lenovo keyboard case best) looks like it won't fit the Asus. Those of you who have the Dell case and keyboard, what do you think? Will it fit the Asus? Can that ugly pen loop be cut off without too much damage to the case? I like the Asus case but want an option to carry a KB. The Dell KB is perfect size it appears.

BTW Asus ... WILL YOU GET THIS FREAKING THING HERE ALREADY?:mad:

15. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I'm not sure why this post needed to be countered - other than for the fun of stirring things up which, I agree, is reason enough.

No offense, all, but unless you need to have a movie library with you at all times - in which case you probably need a whole lot more than 128GB - why doesn't 32GB internal and 64GB SD - and the cloud, for all but Strauss :D - take care of needs for an 8" companion device? I hear-tell that soon the plain vanilla SD slots will address 128GB SXDC - or some other acronym-type card. (I just wish the W8 tablets would but 2 more g.d. GBs or DDR3 RAM in there! I'll pay $50 or $75 for that, not for more eMMc storage.)

EDIT: NVM, I understand. WuBoy is a newbie; can't have someone who's never owned a 5 lb. pre D2D Tablet PC have the right answer when all us know-it-alls know better. Tee-hee.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  16. nicopizza

nicopizza Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, you could use a cheap NAS (I use 2TB WD MyBookLive plus a 4TB thing I am beta-testing) to store yourself your data and access it wherever you are...
    Placing files on a location different than your computer is good also for sharing that data with other people (doesn't need your PC always on)... and so on and so forth...
    BUT, the bottom line for all this cloud mania is only one: to get to know you better...

17. jhoff80

The big problem here is for apps. Desktop stuff you can install to any drive, including usually an SD card if you really care to, but usually that'll be a ton slower. And Metro stuff can't be installed anywhere other than the C drive without a hacky workaround. If one has a bunch of apps to install, especially one of the most common types of apps which is games, that'll fill up really fast.

Just to throw out some sizes:

Asphalt 8: 2.80GB
    Halo Spartan Assault: 1.60GB
    Project Spark: 921MB
    Where's My Water 2: 777 MB
    Mail, Calendar, People: 566 MB (presumably that's with all of my email messages/attachments)
    Remote Desktop: 320MB

Even as a consumption device, and even with Skydrive storage of files and Xbox Music streaming, it definitely is possible to fill up a 32GB device very quickly. That being said, I do agree that for some people, 32GB is definitely still workable on this type of device.

18. Mesosphere

Well for starters the free space in a 32 GB windows tablet is ~12 GB before installing anything. Just installing my basic programs and my OneNote notebooks pretty much fills it up. But like I said, for some people it works out. And there are ways to create extra free space like removing recovery partition, but many may not want to do that.

19. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My Fuji Q552 with work apps only on the "C" drive takes up 41.4 GB. I use a 64GB mSD card for storage. I have that half full. A 32GB tablet just wont work for me. 64 is minimal. As far as cloud storage, we are cautioned by our licensing bodies that cloud storage of client files or information is not sanctioned. I am sure to use the cloud for photos, music and videos as it will be nice to have this personal information available at my fingertips.

20. Avenger

Avenger Pen Pal - Newbie

Keep the impressions coming!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk