Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingArthur10

KingArthur10 Pen Pal - Newbie

For those commenting on the yellow hue, have you attempted to calibrate your screen using the Windows Control Panel? If you bump down the red and green, can you get a pretty white screen without decreasing brightness significantly?

Also, any update on the miracast?

2. a042349

a042349 Pen Pal - Newbie

I did adjust the colors just a bit and it helped some. It's not terribly noticeable unless you compare it side to side with another brighter/whiter screen. Maybe my Lenovo x240 laptop, my iPhone 4s and the Miix 2 (what I have for comparison) are running a little cooler and I'm just used to it, but the Asus definitely looked yellower next to them.

Again, very slightly after adjustment.

More worried about battery life, and no charging with data at the same time is too bad. But for someone that isn't a huge stylus guy, I could get used to this. It works really fluidly and it's a nice option to have for sure. I'll still have to swap this one for the 64GB and send the Miix back, but we'll see how it goes as I play with them both over the coming week.

3. ldgw500

ldgw500 Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder if the yellowish hue to white has to do with the "reading feature" Asus has on this tablet. Below is a screen shot from their website showing the feature.

Screenshot (2).jpg

4. llatnik

llatnik Pen Pal - Newbie

anyone know where you could order one from that delivers to Japan?

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Sorry for the delayed response; I seem to have dozed off, er, I mean, gone out and only came-to, er, came back this minute. :eek:- But hey, I promise to stop going for a cheap laugh at the expense of my good friends, who comment in earnest and for the good of the common man. Nothing unreasonable in your expectations nor over-the-top (darn it!) in expressing your outrage.

And yes, Mr. Strauss, I'm feeling bold enough to confront you head-don with the following: you are absolutely right in all respects - except the pricing, which I consider to be about as consistent as, well, the stylus with the Dell VP8! I'm thinking: student (of life, always), teacher (my wife, god bless purchase in Delaware or NH (no tax) and use Bing rewards for the equiv. of a 5% discount. (Does anyone remember the Bing cash back program circa 2010? That was up to 10% discount more often than not (again,my own obsession with consistency, the hob nob of small, insufficiently occupied minds!) So what does that come down to, like, $283.47? :D

Here are my pet peeves in this arena (not saying the AVN8 does or doesn't violate, because others do):

No video out
    No HD audio/video out (I think they call it HDMI)
    No addressing USB3 devices that draw more current than a flashlight - eg, external HDDs -
    No charging and chewing gum at the same time
    SD/micro SD slots that leave 1/4' or more of the card sticking out the side of the device

Launching a highly anticipated new product in the lowest configuration, forcing people like me and Strauss (and quite a few more of you who are reading this, and you know who you are!) to buy the wrong model, knowing we will have to go through the agony of purchasing the godda-havit-now! low config only to have to return it some 14 - 30 days later, living with the bad feelings (of knowing somebody got my unit for 15% off as an "open box," which, except once in my life, never seem to be available when I'm buying!)

Last point(s): too lazy to find it, but I think Mr. S has written in with the shocking news that he may not be able to work with such a small palette as an 8" 1280x800 screen. There is nothing wrong with the logic behind this. What's wrong with it is that until I read it I was perfectly content with the 8-incher-as-chat ompanion (my trusty Galaxy Note 8, for a few more days, or months, until the 64GB AVN8's are stocked here in AmurIka. Speaking of which, referring to another of Mr. S's keen observations, that the use of One Note for Android can be stretched to accommodate the most broadminded definition of a "companion device." You could've sold me on that 2 weeks ago, but now that a real live honest-to-goodness Windows 8 computer is but one upgraded model away from a US order/store pickup, I just can't go back to accepting Android as a long-term workable work tool, anymore than I can consider using a Clover Trail Windows anything, because BT is now "status quo. Actually, I think I remain ok with the 8" form factor, because I have gotten used to it with the GN8, and the size is just sooo verrrry conveniently portable.

Oh, and, everything mentioned in the previous paragraph was meant as a rant//complaint about what I know could be, but isn't, more generally because if it can be done, it should be done - if it's something I want. And I'll exercise my right to complain about a product's shortcomings and my deep disappointment, bordering on rage that I cannot tolerate it!

XXXOOO

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    dstrauss likes this.
  6. a042349

a042349 Pen Pal - Newbie

Boy this would have really embarrassed me if it was the case as I helped quite a few early T100 adopters out with this excact fix a couple times. Unfortunately (or thankfully lol) it doesn't seem to have that Asus app and it doesn't have the same dramatic shift in color that the app did on the T100's. Good thought though, thanks.

7. Proles

Proles Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there any info out there that may indicate when the 64gb model will be released? Considering Microsoft's seemingly hassle free return policy I want to buy this tablet to see if it suits my needs (if not then I go surface pro and deal with battery issues). On a similar note, I noticed that the recovery partition is already on a SD card for the 32gb but for the 64gb, I heard that the recovery is going to be installed in the internal storage. Will there be a significant difference between the 64gb and the 32gb in the end after all?

8. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Update: my battery revived a little bit with time. You remember, I had lost 7%. Since few days, it miss only 1.1%.

I continue to lose sometimes the usage of the pen as if the device was disconnected. And I need to shutdown and start the AVN8, restarting it is not enough to revive the device. It could be linked to memory shortage or to the Asus Web Storage. I will continue to observe. Does some of you have the same issue ?

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here's my first inking effort on the Asus Vivotab Note 8 with Clip Studio Paint. I'm using a Surface Pro pen because I find its nib offers the most consistent results on the tablet screen's coating.

photo 2.jpg

10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here's my first inking effort on the Asus Vivotab Note 8 with Clip Studio Paint. I'm using a Surface Pro pen because I find its nib offers the most consistent results on the tablet screen's coating.

View attachment 5357

Sorry that it's sideways. Blame my iPhone.

Mesosphere likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.