Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Yay! I'm baaack! That was, like, my 10th attempt today to get a post to publish. Think I've discovered the culprit: Tapatalk - and/or my incompetent use thereof (e.g.unfinished open posts on multiple mobile devices). Though, upon further reflection, I can't exclude possibility of a Mod, too genteel (or lacking an applicable bylaw violatio) to outright ban me for a while for writing overly long posts to indulge my need to state the obvious for the apparent pleasure of seeing the world as I believe it should be, in print, ad nauseum, so h/she just used their NSA-inspired power to make my posts vaporize as I hit "Submit!"

Conspiracy theories aside, just a few quick things from past couple days (did have a sick day or 2 for "minor" abdominal surgery - oxymoron?)

1) I take it these Power cover/docks for the SP1 are as yet vaporware? Any word on release date, cost or specs?

2) Has anyone successfully translated the post showing CDM speed tests of AVN8 "ssd" speeds posted a few pages back? Specifically, were the best times shown (noted:10 Mb/s 4k read) for the actual AVN8 64GB and was the next lower (non-zero) run for the 32GB model?

3) Thank you, Mr. Strauss for so often agreeing with me and let it be known the feelings are mutual. I suspect age demographic may be at play here, but gentlemen - even highly irreverent, outspoken and borderline (well, borderline- several things, pour moi, anywaze) anarchistic ones don't divulge. (Spoiler alerts: my first "PC" was an Altair 8800 I assembled from a kit in 1978; I'm no longer part of Any demo. sought after by advertisers, having quietly slipped outside the 25-54 band a few years ago, though I can't remember how many...

I think I have bolstered theory 2, above, as to why I've been unable to publish a post for the past 12 hours :D Seriously, thanks for all the spirited and informed discussion. FWIW I agree with Bronsky that we need an AVN8 owners thread, but I'd hate to lose the energy this one has to such relatively boring stuff like, does it work? Can it run "X"? What's the battery life, etc. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jnjroach, dstrauss and hp2 like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

1) Rumored price is $199

2) We "folks of advanced experience" need to stick together...:D :thumbsup:

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Any sense at all of release date? Hard to get excited about an SP1, even for $500, (considering I bought my first one for $999) if by the time it becomes $700 of good battery life, nice keyboard, more ports (?) and muchos lbs-os, such $ can buy a lighter, more integrated piece of slickware...ya know what I mean?

With "experience" comes...aches:(, discomforts :mad: of unknown origin:confused:, and yet many joys, including liberation from caring what you look like :eek: or what other people think of you :rolleyes::eek: , and even some rare glimpses of true wisdom :thumbsup:

dstrauss, Mesosphere and apinkel like this.
  4. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can confirm that the connected standby mode works great on the VN8. 3% during last night.
    Batterybar after1 day of usage announces 7:51 maximum battery life.
    With battery logger, the maximum battery life vary from 6 to 11 hours depending of my usage. 6 hours for steaming video, 11 hours just for reading some pages on the web. You have to notice that I use the VN8 with a low level of brightness, less than 10%.
    No connectivity issues, wifi and bluetooth work great.
    I am very pleased with the pen. I am using it continuisly without grrrrring. The provided pen is comfortable to use. No need to use one of my other pen, even I can confirm that they work ok too. It is a real Wacom enabled tablet PC. But please Microsoft, give us back back the old tabtip.
    No lag, of course.

I have synchronized my Onenote files. I will tell you how comfortable it is to take notes during areal meeting on monday. But I expect it will be ok.

I think I will buy 2 additional VN8. One for my wife who likes to draw and take notes. And the other for my 15 years old son.

I can confirm that the wacom driver is not installed, I will try later. But I will do a restaur point in case I need to revert.

In the 64 Gb version, the C partition have a size of 49.1 Gb. Office was already installed, but just needed to be activated. After synchronizing my 1 Gb Onenote books, installing Chrome, making my vb6 old apps running, it left 33 Gb. There is 3 other partitions: one of 100 Mb (system), one of 900 Mb (recovery), the 49.1 Gb drive C, then 8 Gb (recovery).
    No microsd card is given with recovery like the 32 Gb VN8.

I did not enter the bios to see if we can boot from the sdcard. And I did not try to move the recovery partition on an sd card.
    I need to buy a miracast dongle. Which one you advice me ?

I have purchased on the Chinese site all the cables to try charging and using usb for devices. I have not tried yet a 2.5" disk because my OTG cable is not yet arrived.

The windows button is not well positioned. Sometimes I hit it by mistake. I will probably deactivate it. And if somebody knows how to make the windows button activates /deactivates auto rotation, please tell me, because this button missed me.

I forgot to tell you that you can buy this device in Germany. At the first boot it let you choose your primary language.

Stay tuned.

Mesosphere likes this.
  5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

First issue: the battery capacity measured by batterybar is decreasing day after day
    I was loosing 3.4% yesterday, and 6.8% now; I hope that it will stabilize, because if not, I will have no battery in less than 2 months.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

No idea on Power Cover - would have thought it got first priority, and now it is like it was never announced...

My "glimpses" are uncommonly rare...

7. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

That's strange. Maybe it's a bad battery.

8. fupatab

fupatab Pen Pal - Newbie

does anyone think that there will be a docking keyboard for the vivo tab note 8 similar to that of the asus t100 and the venue 11 pro or are those just made for 10 inch and larger tablets?

Its much more realistic for the tablet to sit like a laptop instead of being separate from the keyboard and needing a stand and cover.

9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's freaking terrible. With the already small screen real estate who wants to waste that much space. Thanks for the video anyway. I wonder what's up with Samsung and an 8" windows tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

10. testdrive7

testdrive7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to ask people who already got their Asus Note8 - which version of windows is installed on it: 64-bit or 32-bit version of Windows 8.1? Cannot find this info in this thread, sorry if it has been already covered. One shop (computeruniverse Online Shop | Technik und Elektronik günstig kaufen) lists this tablet as "Windows 8 64 bit", but I cannot find confirmation anywhere else. Would greatly appreciate the feedback of actual users. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.