Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Selling almost 1 billion dollars worth of Surfaces between Oct-Dec is exactly missing the boat...

2. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

That's exactly my point. I was saying that I don't think investing in larger more expensive options is a bad route. Microsoft has focused solely on that avenue so far and are doing just fine.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I forgot to add the bay trail qualifier, but I think the volume of sales for the 8" is far out pacing the larger tablets in terms of net profit. I have no data to back that up of course, and I could be completely wrong. MS is investing a huge amount of money in promoting the surface and that plus the first party advantage is giving it success, but my feeling (which is nothing more than that) is that 8 inch bay trail at roughly the same or perhaps a lower price point is the device more people want. I think if MS had created a 8" bay trail surface this time around and promoted it like they are their current devices they would have had a much bigger hit. There may be good reasons (particularly long term) that they don't think this is the best route for them, but I really think they would have sold a lot more of them based on the apparent success of the current crop of 8" devices.

This doesn't mean no one should make the larger devices. I'd consider it a disaster if this happens, but if a companies resources are limited and they can only make one new windows device, I think 8" bay trail may be the most lucrative option right now. Again, totally theorizing here, and I have no practical business experience.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

And I've been blaming my notes on a crappy digitizer - you mean it could just be my handwriting? :eek:

5. WuBoy

Fair enough. You're probably right. But I got to believe that there is a big enough demand for a 10'' Baytrail tablet with a functional digitizer to make it a profitable venture. I still honestly believe that the affordability of the 8'' slates are what has made them so popular. Take those away and then look at the prices of Windows tablets. They are out of control when compared to Android tablets. The introduction of sub $300 Windows tablets of any size is like a dream come true, and the more portable size helps some too. I'm just saying that if they put a good 10'' option out there at a comparably priced amount, it would be successful. Think about it. Right now, your only options for a good 10'' tablet with a digitizer are the SP or SP2. Now look at the price of those as compared to what the Asus Note is coming in at.

All that said, I can't be the only one that thinks its funny that the 128 GB Surface Pro is now priced the same as the 32 GB Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014). I like Android and all but come on. Samsung should have instantly followed suit when they saw Microsoft discount that.

By the way, new review:

http://recombu.com/mobile/reviews/asus/vivotab-note-8/

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  6. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

"Our main issue with the screen is its brightness levels. Even at 100%, we found the display was too dim to effectively use outside, with reflections and glare getting in our way. Whites appear slightly murky, although bolder colours come out well. "

UUUUGHGHG!

So frustrating! Why Why Why?????

The purpose of this device is a "carry everywhere", "my notes are always with me", "let me jot that down real quick".....Device.

If you can't see it outside.....WTFgood is it...fail.

I can deal with the Wacom side screen issue....but if you can't see the screen outside....false...fail...fatal.

crap...I had my money saved and ready to spend too....wife gave me the ok...my money was spent...but I have to wait for something else....crap crap crap

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

You need to remember that the below 10" Tablets are being subsidized by both Intel and Microsoft, that largely is why they are priced so aggressively. Intel likewise is subsidizing Atom on Android to get to their sub-100 dollar Atom device..,

8. WuBoy

Are there any screen protectors out there that help with glare?

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Huh - please point out ONE tablet that is clearly viewable outdoors in full sun? LCD's are inherently poor viewing outdoors (why do you think Kindle's e-ink is so popular poolside?)

Sorry, but that's not a fail.

10. v@gelis

v@gelis Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys, Wacom/n-trig freak here from Greece!
    10 tablet pc owner in the past, all with Wacom/n-trig/synaptics digitizer (ofcourse a few dozens with android and ios before these beautiful machines came up).
    Last buys, dell venue 8 pro, surface pro 2, vaio duo 13.
    All the above said is to support my decision to send my new toy, asus vivotab note 8 back to it's merchandizer (sadly here in Greece these toys are fairly uncommon gadgets).
    The reason for that? 3 specks of dust under the screen (yes, highly noticeable) and ofcourse, yes, you are right: Bad, bad, bad Wacom digitizer accuracy. At least 1 cm off in many occasions, made me crazy and sent the unit back today.
    I will try one more to see what happens with the next device - I have high hopes for an 8 incher with Wacom (yes, I have already tried 3 times Samsung galaxy note 8, but to no avail.
    The only android device that attracts me as of today is my lovely note 3. All the other tablets/ tablet pc's here are windows 8.1 today!

PS 1: Build quality very good, the same level as dell venue 8 pro and a click better than the squeezy Toshiba encore (yes, I have tried this puppy two times - two times already sold)
    PS 2: Yes, whites are not on par with dell venue 8 pro - a little bit on the yellow side. But all in all good screen.
    PS 3: Did I say I am ADDICTED to tablet pc's and most specifically to pen/digitizers of all kind? Helpppp!!!! :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    nnthemperor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.