Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

1. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

Keep them crossed...That was my build date...I thought I was out of the woods but almost exactly 2 months, after purchase (BAM!).

But, I did a Refresh...not a reinstall but a Refresh....and everything seems fine again (fingers crossed ;-)

2. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2 months,
    yours lasted longer than most.
    Average seems to be 30+ days

3. hades

hades Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello.

Bought this device the first day it was available, early March. It was a Friday, and I received an email from ASUS touting this device. Checked it out and I knew I had to get it (I've been on the lookout for a 7-8" tablet with a *good* pen [not the Dell]). Earlier that week I received an email from Staples with coupons, and the coupon for Friday was "50$ off 300$+ tablet" or something. I immediately ordered the 64gig version. Came to ~400$ after taxes. I love it.

It did however not come with a MicroSD card for recovery. I emailed ASUS tech support but they were useless with this question. "We'll get back to you in 48 hours". It took a week, and the answer was not at all helpful.

How can I recover the device if needed? Where's the recovery information? There's an 8GB recovery partition on the built-in card, but how can I move it off the device onto a MicroSD? It's 8GB I could be using for something useful.

Thanks,

hades

4. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've got mine since February 20th (had to wait 3 weeks before I finally got it...). Stopped working yesterday (May 6th) for the first time. So, that's 76 days after I first unpacked it... (the 01/2014 model). The second one we got at the same time (it was a present for our anniversary for each of us) was still working, last we checked...

But I still love it. I use it on a daily basis, for basic internetting, reading, playing (just love tablet gadgets!). And it's my grocery shopping list (which is why I really want a pen!). I just don't leave home without it.

5. SAM 2013

We are all brainwashed somehow...
    It fails us & we still like it!
    There must be some secret Psych experiment goin on
    (more tim foil please!)

Gotta go, I need to get back to my tablet writing....

6. lemongrabgar

lemongrabgar Pen Pal - Newbie

02/14 64GB owner here. I've been through about 1 and 1/2 months of assorted Comp. Sci, Korean and Linguistics courses with this Tablet, and I am starting my Summer semester now. So far I've had my pen response crash twice - but miraculously never in class. Both times, I was using oneNote and had stuff running in the background as well. Each time that happened I just went to device manager to reset the driver, and things worked out fine. However, one instance of this required reset/loging-off more than once to achieve. (scared me to death)

When most of you talk about the digitizer 'failing' I am assuming that means even the device manager trick will not restore its function?:confused: That is worrying. How many of you have switched to the Wacom Feel driver? I installed it and it seems to be performing slightly better than before - I've also yet to run into a crash since then.

All in all, this is my 2nd tablet ever since the Nexus 7 1G and it has been at least three times more useful. It should remain that way, of course with the caveat that it stays alive past this next 1-infinite months.

7. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Lemongrabgar - yes, eventually that workaround no longer does the trick. There have been a number of ways to kick start including reflashing BIOS, complete reinstall of Windows several times in a row, and uninstalling the Intel video driver. Oddly, all of these seem to work temporarily but nothing consistent - I'm resigned to believing they're all placebos to a real problem.

I hoped I was lucky but after 50 days mine failed too. I discovered that a bios reflash brought the pen back to life - until I performed a reflash for perhaps the third time in a week and during reboot my tablet completely bricked and wouldn't even boot to the Asus logo. Totally dead. So back it has gone at my courier expense. I packed a pleading letter with it directing them to this forum. I would be heartbroken if they revived the tablet without addressing the damned digitizer issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. markkemperman

markkemperman Pen Pal - Newbie

That some are coming back with replaced I/O boards hopefully means the hardware issue is sorted - remains to see if any of these units fail...

[Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro]

9. SAM 2013

My second Asus is performimg well so far,as
    far as the pen goes.
    But, the Wacom Radial menu does not survive reboot.
    I have to go into the Wacom settingsand re-enact the
    Radial Menu under the button settings.
    Is anyone else having this problem?
    (My 32gb Asus holds the Radial Menu settings fine)

10. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a new buyer. I purchased my Asus tablet last week using some income from a freelance job. The unit was almost completely charged when I started it but I kept it plugged in overnight to satisfy the manual suggesting that the tablet charge for 8 hours upon first starting up. I also purchased a keyboard case from Amazon as well as a couple different adapters to get thumb drives and SD cards to mount.

So far, so good. It's a very nice tablet and I'm using it more and more with my art programs. So far I've installed ArtRage 3, Photoshop CS6, PDPro Howler 9.2, as well as a couple of animation programs like Animation-ish by ToonBoom. I hope to install a few more animation programs soon as well as doing a thorough video review for anyone who's on the fence about this device. Of course, I need to see what happens after the 30 day period where many are finding problems with their pen/digitizer.

So far, so good and I'm very happy with the purchase. My only complaint isn't with Asus but with Windows 8 itself. It annoys me to no end that the on-screen keyboard launches when needed in the "Metro" side but needs to be launched manually on the Windows 8 side when needed. Is there a way to configure a button to launch the onscreen keyboard or trick Windows into launching the keyboard whenever the cursor is placed in a text field?

Thanks and I'll be keeping in touch should anything go wrong with this device.
    Pierre