Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a new buyer. I purchased my Asus tablet last week using some income from a freelance job. The unit was almost completely charged when I started it but I kept it plugged in overnight to satisfy the manual suggesting that the tablet charge for 8 hours upon first starting up. I also purchased a keyboard case from Amazon as well as a couple different adapters to get thumb drives and SD cards to mount.

So far, so good. It's a very nice tablet and I'm using it more and more with my art programs. So far I've installed ArtRage 3, Photoshop CS6, PDPro Howler 9.2, as well as a couple of animation programs like Animation-ish by ToonBoom. I hope to install a few more animation programs soon as well as doing a thorough video review for anyone who's on the fence about this device. Of course, I need to see what happens after the 30 day period where many are finding problems with their pen/digitizer.

So far, so good and I'm very happy with the purchase. My only complaint isn't with Asus but with Windows 8 itself. It annoys me to no end that the on-screen keyboard launches when needed in the "Metro" side but needs to be launched manually on the Windows 8 side when needed. Is there a way to configure a button to launch the onscreen keyboard or trick Windows into launching the keyboard whenever the cursor is placed in a text field?

Thanks and I'll be keeping in touch should anything go wrong with this device.
    Pierre

2. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

I wanted to give you all some hope. I bought my 65gb model 3 months ago. I had all the pen issues that have been described, started after two months I've tried all the remedies that have been tried. My pen has died twice. The last remedy was simply to reinstall Windows .. twice. I am using a standard 8.1 enterprise install, not the factory for this tablet.

I haven't had any pen problems for at least 3 weeks. I'm not sure why. But it seems solid. I've stayed away from the Wacom driver. I am just using the standard driver and any any updates that windows throws my way and, God willing, I've been good for a while.

My message to everyone is.....YOU DON'T HAVE TO GIVE UP YOUR DEVICE!....

try the windows install...a couple times if necessary. Yeah, the drivers need to be installed in some random order while you stand on your left foot and wave a dead chicken over your head. yes.... but, I believe it will eventually come back...and you don't have to wait 2 months for Asus to (probably) do the same thing.

3. Dave47

Dave47 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've read most all the posts related to the AVN8. Here's the image that comes to mind when I read this stuff:

jump-through-hoop-of-fire.jpg

SAM 2013 likes this.
  4. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

There are only two devices like this....and the AVN8 is the best ...so...if you want to jump thru hoops...you might get burned.

5. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The ASUS AUTO-SELF DESTRUCT sequence has begun...

PS
    Squirrels work better

6. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

How often do you intend to repost this joke?

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Probably as long as each new person who start experiencing symptoms withdrawals into a state of denial.

dceggert and Bronsky like this.
  8. IsLNdbOi

IsLNdbOi Scribbler - Standard Member

Disappointed w/ the MS Surface event. No Surface Mini means I'm getting a VivoTab Note 8.

9. thatdude90210

thatdude90210 Pen Pal - Newbie

This Bloomberg report said that MS backed off plans to introduce the Surface mini. Doesn't sound like there is going to be a Surface mini anytime soon.

"Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella and Executive Vice President Stephen Elop decided that the product in development wasn’t different enough from rivals and probably wouldn’t be a hit,..."

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Thanks to that distracting Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owners Lounge thread, we are in danger of being overtaken by the Surface Pro 3 Monstrosity. So... /bump.

I wonder how many posts/views this thread would have had by now if it were not for the QC issues?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.