Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

1. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Sam 2013, uninstalling both device drivers and restarting did actually do the job for now. Simply uninstalling the defective device driver doesn't seem to work though.

I opted into this product and willingly accepted mediocre and sub-par hardware specs and lower build quality, but I definitely not opted into a product that requires constant maintenance and problem solving, constantly requiring to mess around with device drivers. That is a massive no-go in user experience. So, even if the AVN8 has unique value propositions in its Wacom digitizer -- which it has -- if that doesn't work reliably without hiccups, its benefits are moot and it certainly does not do what it promises. And I'm a computer scientist, who has reached the ends of his problem solving abilities. Imagine non-techie people dealing with this issue.

I just see it as the old bane of Windows coming to show. Imagine yourself in a meeting, superiorly writing great looking handwritten notes on your AVN8 as your stylus quits on you and you start fiddling around in the Windows device manager, as your neighbour with his iPad leans over to ask what you are doing, and all you can return is that you try to fix the driver for your pen. It's a joke.

Also, I received response from the German Asus tech support. Astoundingly, the guy mentioned that this issue was not known to them and all solutions he offered were generic steps to reinstall drivers and restore Windows. Will see if I'll follow through with that the next time my stylus quits. I really don't have the time to waste on stuff like that, especially if the outcome is questionable.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    lovelaptops, Rodney and Dave47 like this.
  2. markkemperman

markkemperman Pen Pal - Newbie

There's a scary inevitability about that statement. Hopefully it doesn't come to pass.

I wonder if the problem hardware vs software - the latter gives hope it can be fixed.

[Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro]

3. nerdteddy

nerdteddy Scribbler - Standard Member

That's an unrealistic assessment. I was going to say the joke is on you but that would be impolite.

Why would a 'driver' need fixing in the middle of pen usage, that has been successful for minutes and hours of use?

A more accurate preliminary assessment would be that it's most likely a 'hardware failure' which can be directly correlated to Asus' own sub par QC, design and technical implementation (temperature and/or power calculation, noise and RFI design rules, etc), not Intel's or other chip manufacturers fault. Or a software's for that matter.

4. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

Astoundingly?

I understand your rant, but I would be astounded if the knew anything; like what the thing does. Also, we are going to have to wait for a while I would think, as this thing went on sale like (yesterday?) and it takes time

5. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

Holding out hope for anything Lenovo is like hoping for an honest politician to be elected. They would have had to announce this a year ago for any hope for it this year or next (or this century for that matter) :D

6. Dave47

Dave47 Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, the Microsoft store has been selling the AVN8 for a couple of weeks now.

7. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, the joke is obviously on me, because I'm one of those stuck with a tablet that has an active digitizer that randomly quits its duty. Also, you are reading way too much into my comment. I just said that the only thing I can do to try (temporarily) fixing it is switching the I2C device on and off and reinstalling its drivers. I'm in no position to accurately assume the true source of this issue.

8. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was able to call Asus and get an RMA with little hassle.
    After I told them what Id done to try to get it to work
    and the intermitantness, they did not hassle me and told me
    to return it for repair.

I thought Id have to load this, try that etc before they would
    believe it was really broke.

Emphasize that it will work for a short time on restore/refresh
    and not to send it back just by doing these simple things.

I have not received my unit back yet, but will report
    if/what they did to fix it.
    Another memeber has noted his replacement unit has been working
    without problems so far.

Dave47 likes this.
  9. markkemperman

markkemperman Pen Pal - Newbie

Out of interest, when you get the replacement, let us know the manufacture date (on the back, near the bottom). Some dated 03/2014 are coming out so issue might only be with 01/2014 and 02/2014 models - hopefully.

[Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro]

10. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep, I got one of the first ones the Microsoft Store offered
    in early Febuary. It worked for about 32 days with no problems,
    then started acting up. It had gotten worse as time progressed.

My unit was Jan 2014.
    I hope they replace the board, as my screen
    had no dead spots as others had reported.

The Wacom pen had been a joy to use
    compared to my Dell.