Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

1. iadagraca

iadagraca Pen Pal - Newbie

how do i access the bios?

2. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Welps my 64gb model stopped having the all 3 of my pens register on the digitizer layer. I've been very careful with the tablet too.

The built in digitizer pen, the surface pro pen, and the samsung s-pen no longer trigger a cursor on my screen. I have shut down my tablet and waited for 30+ seconds before booting it back on.

It's going back to the MSFT store now.

3. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

You can check the device manager for a shut-down I2C device under HID devices. Disabling and enabling it again might (temporarily) fix the digitizer for you.

Edit: Ironically, I just wanted to check the device manager on mine only to realize that my I2C device also malfunctioned again and no dis- / reenabling seems to fix it for now. I love it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  4. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I think I am just going back to the thinkpad tab 2 until the 3rd one comes out. TPT2 along with my Thinkpad Yoga should have me covered for a while.

Might not even get the TPT3 if it does come out since I am quite happy with the wacom on the Thinkpad Yoga. It gives me a lot of space to do a lot of writing.

5. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sometime System Restore will revive it.
    OR
    Go to Device Manager and delete both 12c HID controllers.
    (If just a simple disable/enable doesnt work.)
    You will lose touch screen and have to force shut down by
    holding the power button for 10-15 seconds or until the unit
    powers off. Wait for a couple of minutes and restart.

I dont think this an be good for the computer, but it sometimes works.
    At least it will enable you to get your files transfered before you have to send it in...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    BobWerk likes this.
  6. jennyjen

jennyjen Pen Pal - Newbie

dstrauss, if I purchased more things, you might have some competition ;) I'm very difficult to please, and sadly, the VivoTab Note 8 did not make the cut. I purchased mine online from the Microsoft Store and am preparing to return it. Based on your comment about Microsoft Store returns, is it safe to assume that I needn't worry about the following blurb in Microsoft's return policy?

"Returns and exchanges of computers, computer hardware items (including mice, keyboards, and printers), and other hardware items (including Xbox consoles, controllers and accessories), will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date of purchase, provided the item meets our return criteria and it has not been used, altered or shows wear or damage."

It's kind of hard to know if I want to keep something without using it! Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

7. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

I am Sorry to read that so many are returning this this. I am vary happy with it. I have owned many computers of this type. I look around the room and I see 5 devices with pen computing capabilities. Three tablets and two phones..... wait.... six.

I have been using windows Wacom for 10 years.

So.....i'm a bit of a pen device expert...I say that as humbly as I can while trying to give myself some credibility.

This is the best companion device available today. Period. end of conversation.

It won't replace tour laptop completely. I have used my laptop. But rarely.

I have a little mini Bluetooth mouse and a small Bluetooth keyboard that I carry with me. In my 'go bag'.

Don't turn away from this device.

It does what it promises

Dave47 likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It does that ... when it works. I've had to replace one already in less than two weeks. The failure rate does not speak well of Asus QA/QC and makes we owners nervous about the longevity of our devices. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any option. If one magically appeared before my 30 day return period passed, I would have to seriously consider it. But, I do like the tablet, when it works properly. So, I'm hoping there were just some teething pains and the early issues have been ironed out.

9. vozie

vozie Pen Pal - Newbie

My bluthooth mouse is stuttering, anyone else having this problem? I searched around and generally in W8.1 it seems to be caused by a range of things but mostley related to the WiFi/Blutooth drivers.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The folks at Microsoft store nearly fall all over themselves to make returns as pleasant as possible. The quote you have applies to modifications (so I was told). So if you took it apart (even to peek inside) they could deny a return, but what they are really opposing are modifications - memory upgrades, SSD upgrades, etc. I assume they'd also be rough on dents, scratches, and busted screens...

It's tough, and unfair, to be held hostage to a device with such sketchy QC, but you are right - it is the BEST companion device out there for "inkers" by a big margin. I would say to hold out hope for a ThinkPad Tablet 3, but it is as mythical as a unicorn, and will likely brush close to $1000 (fabled $999) for top of the line with LTE

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014