Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

Kumabjorn likes this.
  2. w4st

w4st Pen Pal - Newbie

New user here, got my ASUS VivoTab Note 8 tablet and overall I was pretty happy with it for the first week. BUT THEN... (dramatic music)

Then I tried streaming some music with it while I was working, using my Bluetooth headset.

"Nope, nope, no, access denied, go away, no."

Any time sound was being sent to my Bluetooth headset, WiFi would die for a second or two. Streaming music was impossible. I ran an internet speed test and was getting ~20mbps, which would quickly drop to zero if I started clicking on the Windows volume control to make my Bluetooth headset go, "Ding!"

These were dark times, my friends. My super-happy-fun-tablet-O-my-dreams was rapidly turning into an expensive paperweight, since my intent in purchasing it was to have a portable workstation I could use to tune-out and listen to Grooveshark while writing, and being able to use my Bluetooth headset, mouse, and keyboard while doing so was a non-negotiable factor in my purchasing decision.

Anyway, this story has a happy (but somewhat unexpected) ending.

Going to the "Advanced" tab of the "Broadcom 802.11abgn Wireless SDIO Adapter", I started changing all the settings that I thought might help. Nothing seemed to help. I even plugged an external Bluetooth dongle into the VivoTab using a USB2GO adapter and confirmed that that Bluetooth device worked just fine with the built-in WiFi, so I was sure it must be some sort of driver issue with the built-in Bluetooth and WiFi devices.

Finally, I got kind of desperate and started changing things randomly, ignoring any logic or reason. Suddenly, BOOM! WiFi + Bluetooth started working perfectly together!

The "magic" setting turned out to be DISABLING "Bluetooth Collaboration". Um... what? So, like, telling the driver to stop trying to do the one thing I actually need it to do, makes it do what I need it to do? *head spins*

Mesosphere and caheo.captain like this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Soo, I got my matte screen protector today. What a difference a sheet of plastic makes.
    This is my first attempt at using something like this, my Galaxy Note has been nekkid throughout. I got some air bubbles in the middle when attaching, but when it is on I can't see them, only when it is turned off. Yes, they are irritating and I would prfer they were not there, but I care more that I no longer need to deal with reflections outdoors. It also seems like inking is a tad more exact. Perhaps the 0.2 mm aligns the sensor and the nib better?

4. jennyjen

jennyjen Pen Pal - Newbie

Kumabjorn, what did you end up getting for a screen protector? I'm trying to find one that doesn't need to be shipped from overseas. I'm impatient and too paranoid to use it without a screen protector. :p The one I have on it now is a wet application screen protector, and it's pretty terrible.

5. neonnoodle

neonnoodle Pen Pal - Newbie

Which brand of screen protector did you end up getting? I have one on the way but I'm just curious. Can you post photos of what the texture looks like?

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yea. I haven't had the time to put the SP on my replacement unit yet. I was able to get the first one on with almost no air under it. You have to be dead-on with these of they will lift on the edges and let air in to form bubbles. I think Steve had a really good primer on putting on an SP. I was never able to do it as well as I liked until I religiously followed his steps.

7. whyired

whyired Pen Pal - Newbie

I just put a screen protector on as well (illumishields). Got the matte version to. No air bubbles and works great in all environments, Nice quality feel and easy to put on. My biggest concern was how it will effect the stylus.Will see how I like it after a couple days. Right now I'm happy with them.

8. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

Here are some pictures of mine: http://1drv.ms/1fI1qn6
    I got this dipos screen protector: dipos Asus VivoTab Note 8 Schutzfolie - Antireflex: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör
    I got it for about 2 weeks now and it does show some scratches already, but I don't notice them in every day use. The smooth feel and anti-smudge texture is a big plus.

Bronsky likes this.
  9. Ishman

Ishman Pen Pal - Newbie

I second the illumishields screen protector. I have them on several of my devices and they are the easiest to put on, clear and no bubbles. I am using on for my Venue 8 Pro on my device currently. I just ordered a set for the Vivotab from amazon.

10. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone find these in Canada? I'm anxious to get some protection on my VTN8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.