Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waru

Waru 「ホログラム&#

What do you mean by 'doesn't work with it'? Does the cursor show up at all? Or can you not click on anything using Chrome?

Also, to everyone:

I am debating if I should buy one of those folio cases with a Bluetooth keyboard for my VT8. Not sure if the keyboard is actually useful since it is a LOT smaller than you're average keyboard and everything is crammed together. Does anyone know if these kinds of keyboards are about the same size as one on a laptop, perhaps? If that's the case, then I may be able to live with it. :)

Here's the one(s) I'm looking at. I believe they're the same thing. IVSO and VSTN are so confusing...not sure if they're the same company.

Amazon.com : IVSO Asus VivoTab Note 8 M80TA (windows 8.1) Bluetooth Keyboard Portfolio Case - DETACHABLE Bluetooth Keyboard Stand Case / Cover for Asus VivoTab Note 8 M80TA (windows 8.1) Tablet (Black) : Electronics

Amazon.com : VSTN®Asus VivoTab Note 8 M80TA (windows 8.1) Bluetooth Keyboard Portfolio Case - DETACHABLE Bluetooth Keyboard Stand Case / Cover, only fit Asus VivoTab Note 8 (windows 8.1) tablet (Bluetooth Keyboard, Black) : Electronics

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I just wish there was an app in Google Play that would let me connect my phone with the tablet over Bluetooth and then I could use the phone as a keyboard with the tablet. And it should be the user's prefered keyboard (Swype, Swiftkey or some foreign language keyboard) that you used on the phone and the text appeared on the tablet.

3. Tim Q

Tim Q Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I now have of these guys (64 GB, came in at $410 AUD incl. tax and shipping, arrived yesterday). It feels nice and snappy - no build quality issues either.

I do have the gritty feel on the screen when I use the pen - I have 100% alcohol handy though.

There is a problem, though, and it could potentially be a big one. Like thierryb a while back, my battery capacity is shrinking at an alarming rate. Out of the box, BatteryBar reported around 24000 mWh. After the first charge this dropped to 18000 mWh - now only on the second charge and it now reads 16113 mWh as the max capacity. Oddly, it doesn't report any actual wear - it still sits at 0.0.

Should I be concerned or is this just a software glitch?

4. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not worried. I just don't need the majority of Office. Unlike some of you masochists, I don't really plan on using word, excel or PowerPoint on an 8" screen. Mostly just want it for one note and some legacy app support.

That's odd. I was using my pen with chrome last night. I know there's a way to get into advanced settings to turn features on and off, but that was only really an issue when touch Windows 8 first came out. If your using the latest version of Chrome you should be fine.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Some owners have reported unusual discharge from the battery at first but it seems to settle down over time.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  6. gsrfan01

gsrfan01 Pen Pal - Newbie

The changing battery level may also have something to do with the device having connected standby and not working traditionally.

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Interesting. Then the version I got from my institution was definitely not click-to-run then as I had the option of what to install (but chose everything). Thanks for keeping us educated even though you sent yours back =)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  8. Mesosphere

I wouldn't want to write a whole paper in word. But I do enjoy getting out of the desk and sitting in some comfy chair while I edit a draft of a paper.

I wouldn't want to create a large power point presentation, but I used it all the time on my 8" tablet during meetings/teleconferences to follow along with the presentation and mark notes as the speaker goes.

9. Mesosphere

The battery capacity is 15500 mWh. It looks like battery bar is estimating the capacity as it goes and it is narrowing down on the correct answer (but still not there yet).

10. Mesosphere

They are going to be significantly smaller than a laptop keyboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.