Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sszz

sszz Pen Pal - Newbie

Thx in advance.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

3. alvarez13

alvarez13 Scribbler - Standard Member

I like the overall look of the IVSO. I hate holding it in portrait with the ASUS on the bottom as the cover seems to slide around as uncomfortable. Flipping the tablet 180 and holding it with the ASUS logo upside fees better as I can hold the edge with my left hand and put my thumb on the magnets. Still, that cover is too sharp and thin and only works for the case being closed, not open. I do hate the magnets as it's constantly messing with the digitizer in positions.

I'm looking at these 2 other cases:
    Amazon.com : SUPCASE ASUS VivoTab Note 8 Case - Premium Slim Hard Shell Leather Case Cover M80TA (Black), 3 Year Manufacturer Warranty : Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com : i-Blason Asus VivoTab Note 8 Case - Executive Hard Shell Stand Case Cover for M80T [Life Time Warranty] - Black : Electronics

That first one, the super case will give me the stand function I need and I really like that elastic band that I can work to hold the cover when I'm holding the tablet one hand. Also not magnets anywhere on it. I will probably go for that one.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  4. Waru

Waru 「ホログラム&#

I wish I knew how to fix this. I'm sure everyone else is having the same power drain problem. I had mine on a full charge and with a few uses here and there and shutting down through sleep, I get towards mid 30%. It's so annoying. :(

5. swiftyman

swiftyman Pen Pal - Newbie

Im still losing about 2% per hour on connected standby. Which is absolutely unacceptable.

Coming up on my 30 days so I might have to send it back and order a different one.

6. Satchmo74

Satchmo74 Pen Pal - Newbie

Currently awaiting my AVN8 64gb and have a DV8P. This may or may not apply to you but I had this same power drain problem on my DV8P and updating my displaylink drivers to 7.5M1 fixed the problem. Now only lose 1-2% per night on standby.

DisplayLink: Windows Software

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Bronsky - the second case finally came in - its an identical IVSO, so I will be doing experimental surgery on this one and report back. I think I can excise the magnets, re-glue the liner to the cover and glue on a band to hold like the other case on Amazon -will report when completed.

Waru - I don't think many folks are experiencing battery drain. Some, like me, have it the first day or two, but I've not seen a lot of complaints, although we are a very small sample size.

8. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Agreed. My best Tablet PC inking experiences have always been Wacom, all the way back to the beginning in 2002. I've tried:

Motion Computing 1200
    Motion Computing 1300
    Gateway M305 convertible (Not Wacom)(very poor)
    Toshiba (something?) convertible
    Sahara iTablet
    Fujitsu Lifebook 1610 (no active digitizer)
    HP 2710 (convertible)
    HP 2730 (convertible)
    HP Slate 500 (N-Trig)(very poor)
    Fujitsu Q550 (N-Trig)(poor)
    Samsung Series 7 Slate
    Surface Pro
    Surface Pro 2
    Dell Venue 8 Pro (Synaptics)(poor)
    ASUS VivoTab Note 8.

I've even tried the Samsung Note 8 and Note 10.1 (2014) just because they had Wacom digitizers.

Balancing weight, battery life, inking, etc., this ASUS may be the machine I was really looking for all along, confesses the early adopter.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Plus 1 here to bishop's conclusions - I've had most of those system, and a Samsung Series7 Slate - AVN8 is in the top 2.

10. alvarez13

alvarez13 Scribbler - Standard Member

Please do keep us updated. I've got some ketamine at the office if the case has any problems holding still for you.