Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonioz

antonioz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello! I am searching a touchpad multitouch for Windows 8.1 gesture (I would like it than the touch display during the using desktop). I had a Vaio Fit13a (now returned to Sony) which had a fantastic magic touchpad, until 3-4 fingers imput, and differt options for the 4 corners of the touchpad (I was able to do many things very speedly).
    Is there a bluetooth (or wireless) touchpad multitouch that has got W8.1 gesture & different options (3-4 fingers; actions different for corners)?
    This is fantastic (Natural and fluid trackpad experience - Windows 8 Consumer Preview - YouTube) but I don't undestestand the brand & the model.

2. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Waru, I use the tablet mostly for note taking, pdf reading and lite webpage browsing and video streaming.

Dale, have you applied the anti-fingerprint coating yet? How does it go?
    And, anyone else tested screen protector yet? Heared that iBlason's not quite good. Any feedback or advice on other brands'?

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

No - haven't tried it - been reading some more on it and folks say it is short lived and needs to be reapplied frequently - may wait for better screen protectors

lonaysta likes this.
  4. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll quote myself from the Tips & Tricks thread
    Mind you, I haven't really stress-tested it as I've been using my tablet mostly at home and didn't carry it around in bags. But me being a screen protector opponent, I'm amazed how well it works on the AVN8. The original screen coating is awful and the screen protector is a huge improvement. Especially the matt finish gives the screen a very interesting and smooth texture and feel for touch as well as pen input. The screen does lose some clarity and produces rainbow-y glitter effects due to refraction of subpixel light on the matt coating, but so far, I much prefer this over the original glass surface. (You might as well just go for the clear version.) Even greasy or sweaty fingers glide smoothly over the surface and produce way fewer streaks.

The 3€ pack actually included 2 screen protectors. If you manage to not ruin the first one, you still have a spare. At this little extra, I would definitely recommend to at least try a screen protector if you are as unhappy as I was with the AVN8's screen coating. I was really considering returning the tablet just because of this, but now I'm happy as a mountain goat in the Grand Canyon.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    lonaysta likes this.
  5. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

I had to make some longer than preferable researches for this as well, but the issue is very easily solvable. Just go over the Windows Charms bar: Settings > Change PC Settings > PC and devices > Devices. On this page, on the very bottom is the setting for "Default save locations", with the SD card inserted, click Setup and follow the instructions, tadaah. Windows creates specific Picture, Video and Music folders with the suffix "(YourUsernameHere)" on your card.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  6. sszz

sszz Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I spent many hours trying to mimic the 32GB version's recovery SD on my 64-er with the help of Stavros (thanks again). No success, my AVN8 simply does not see the recovery drive, I cannot set the partition with 'reagentc /setosimage'.

What is even more strange is that Stavros confirmed, that the "Create recovey drive checkbox" (see attached picture) is greyed out on the 32er, so it seems that the recovery file is on the SD, you just cannot use it for recovery. Cool, hah? :)

Can you take a look at your wife's system and see what's the story there? That might help to shed some light on this issue. Thanks. 0601.Create-Recovery-Drive_thumb_76C8C531.jpg

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks for that. Lag on Miracast is same as WIDI - about 1 sec, thus only useful for media playback - which is all it was designed for, I think. I was just impressed by how easy it was to pair and launch - not always a slam dunk with Intel wifi.

Far more importantly, What say you about the problem I am encountering - sadly, not getting any better with use or many screen cleanings - with the screen sensitivity being very spotty, at times I have to tap the screen 2-4 times to get a link to respond. Of more concern, inking is sometimes not very fluid, occasional gaps in the midst of a curve, need to press harder while inking than I'm used to not just with the GN8 but, by memory, with the TPCs of old - HP 2740, Fuji T730. In general I feel more resistance from the screen surface, which could be a good thing - more realistic pen on paper feel - but it is inconsistent and just not a pleasant writing experience.

I have been reading for a week or more that the "old timers" are really smitten by this tablet and I respect your "reviews" more than I trust my experience at this point, but do you think I may have a bad unit? I will get a chance to check that when the 32GB unit I worked so hard to order online and get discounts for arrives tomorrow. I decided it would become my wife's if all went well, but it will give me a chance to compare two examples of the same hardware.

Really love to hear anyone's thoughts on the screen sensitivity, drag feeling of stylus on screen (a little better with S Pen on AVN8 and I can't find my Fuji and HP pens of old.

Thanks, Jeff

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Jeff - I hate to say it, but you may have a bad digitizer. My experience with mine is nearly as good as my TPT2 and SPro's were. I would give the nod to the SPro 2 on overall quality and smoothness, but not that much better than the AVN8. In fact, the AVN8, except for the edge experience we've all dealt with, is second best only to the SPro 2 of any tablets I've used (going back to my HP convertible days, including the HP 2730 and 2740).

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have to agree. I am quite impressed with the inking. I would rank it up there with the SP1 that I had for the 30 day trial period. This is true in spite of the fact that it is hard to put proper pressure on such a flimsy pen. Dale, did you say that the Note 2 pen works on the M80T and fits in the slot? Is it any sturdier? Did Asus just knock off the S-Pen or did they license it?

As much as I like the look and feel of the IVSO cover, it is a PITA. The magnets in the cover do interfere with the overall performance of the digitizer, even touch when they are too close to certain spots on the tablet. I have taken to keeping the cover hanging when I am using the tablet in landscape mode. I'll eventually be replacing the cover if someone makes one like this without the magnets. While I'm wishing, a kickstand cut out of the plastic back would be great. It could probably be done easily if a hinge could be fashioned. I would make it in landscape with a couple of angle settings.

Glare continues to be the only real complaint I have about this tablet. Glare from overhead lights and any serious glare cripple the screen. My matt SP's are somewhere on the high seas in the hull of the S.S. Rotterdam, inching their way toward the East Coast.

My biggest handicap with this tablet (same holds true of my phone) is my lack of familiarity with Windows 8. I'm learning the software at the same time I'm figuring out the device.

Anybody know if the windows button can be changed with another function rerouted to it, or is that fixed by firmware?

I started yesterday with a fully charged unit and was on the road all day. I used the tablet only a few times during the day to show it off or look something up. When I returned home last night at 9:00 p.m. I had 87% of my battery still available. Incredible.

Has anybody seen the Microsoft billboards that are everywhere here in South Jersey all of a sudden. They show a guy with an 8" Dell Venue 8 saying," I can't believe my whole office is on here." On the road into Atlantic City, there are probably 5 signs almost in a row.

Went out for a drive and took my new sidekick along.

WP_20140308_001.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Will do as soon as it arrives tomorrow (Monday)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk