Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Exactly what I thought of when I read the quote.:thumbsup:

The Microsoft Store minimizes the crapware on their units. Signature service I think it's called.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. SuperiorWitt

SuperiorWitt Pen Pal - Newbie

As mentioned above, US Microsoft store. Its interesting though one store near me Tysons (was selling the 32 for 299 two weeks ago, then 369 last week). The 64 was 379 in store(but oos). Pentagon is selling the 32 for 299 consistently and the 64 is 399.

3. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

Decide to return the 32gb. Had a 32 and a 64. Even with the good price on the 32gb at $269 I was running our of space too quickly. After installing office professional and syncing outlook and onenote as well as some metro apps I was below 7 gb..

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I think others may have subsequently derived this but it went like this:

1) $329 on web using "secret" link
    2) 10% off for educator disocount ($33)
    3) $30 credit to 'price match' in-store price, which has mostly been $299 when in stock, including today when both No. Va. stores (Tysons and Pentagon City) had it in stock.

$329-$33-$30 = $266 + 5% tax.

They really did just change their policy and no longer take payments over the phone at the stores - can still do so via web purchase. My only reason for wanting to pay over the phone was to secure one of three 64GB units until I could get to store the next day. Someone at the Pentagon City (Arlington, Va) location agreed to put it aside with my name on it. Was planning to go to the mall today to claim it, but first had errands at Tysons Corner (also No. VA) and they had 64B units in stock! Bought it for $379-$38 (10% educator discount), net $341 (vs. $266 for the 32GB version after all discounts). I bought the $99 2 yr ADH wtty but may drop it (the wtty, not the tablet!!) because it doesn't extend the service wtty and $50/yr isn't that great for ADH when you can get the same coverage for $11/yr as homeowners insurance rider, and that includes theft coverage. What are others doing?

Weird. See my comments above about my price/availability experience at Tysons Corner store today. Note: I have a 64GB unit being held for me through Sunday night closing (6:00?) so if Tysons is now out of stock and PC is too, perhaps we can arrange for you to enter the PC store moments before I tell them to take it off hold. May even be able to tell them I want to release it to you. PM me if interested.

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I've had my AVN8 64GB for about 3 hrs (only 2 hrs to use it) and have a couple of early reactions and a question or two.

1) Seems to be well made overall - I'm used to plastic, as I have owned many Samsung devices. ;)
    2) It is considerably heavier than I expected. Still haven't checked weight but feels a good bit heavier than my Samsung Gn8. Probably would feel remarkably light if I wasn't so used to the GN8.
    3) Nice to have stylus in silo, but finding it finnicky to pull out, put back. Does it get easier to pull out after you've used it a bunch? The hard part about getting it back in is that it's all black so you can't position it easily by the button location. Minor niggle, but irritating at first.

More important issues:

1) Finding the screen to be far less sensitive than expected. Often I have to click on a link 3 or more times to get it to respond (these are small targets in desktop mode, but still....That said, the problem is a lot worse in, you guessed it, the corners and edges of screen. Same is true for scrolling, but not an edge related issue, Just find I have to press harder with the pen, even my finger, than I was expecting. (Let me say it just once more: I can't help but judge everything in relation to the GN8 because I've been using it nonstop for 5 months. Not sure I know why this should be any less responsive than the GN8 except that the latter has no screen edge issues.)

2) I can't find an adjustment to make the keyboard/handwriting palette come up whenever you put the stylus in a data entry box. Somewhere above I read someone with a similar complaint and gathered from the feedback that perhaps there is no such adjustment or function in this tablet, that you have to tap on the keyboard in the taskbar to bring it up, in which case it comes up in whatever mode it was used in last. I can learn to live with this, but now we're talking about a really diminished user experience. As I think of it, my Windows tablet PCs never had such an option either, even when in tablet mode. Not sure. Help me from going crazy, please! (Beware, I dwell in a place very close to crazy even when I'm happy. :D

3) For some reason it won't install my wireless printer, linked to my router, by "add[ing] a device in either desktop or charms menus, though each respond a bit differently. I never had to think of it before, because both Win 7 and Win 8 machines auto-install by either method. The best I can get is an ad-hoc direct wireless connection between the tablet and the printer, but as yet i haven't been able to actually connect even this way. It wants a "WPS PIN" for my printer, and the only such number I can get from my printer is the wps key to connect the printer to my router, and it doesn't work if I use that number in the box asking for it on a direct connect. My printer is an Epson WF-3540. Any thoughts?

4) This is a + :). Easy sync with PTV-300 for wireless connect of screen. It may be using Miracast technology, but the TV screen calls it an "Intel Widi" connection.

5) Back to the - column, put work and learning needed before I can say it's a problem. Inking is good, but not as good as I expected. Just not as silky smooth as the you-know-which tablet. I did encounter the rough spots much maligned and wiping it down did help that. FYI, there were no fingerprints at all when I first encountered this. Cleaning gets rid of rough surface, but inking is still kind of meh. Seeing the awesome drawings Waru has done i have to assume that I either have a bad screen or pen (not much change with S Pen). Worst of all, when I take notes in One Note, they seem to start off looking quite pixelated - no smooth curves, or even straight lines that aren't parallel with the screen. But a second or so after first inking, the jaggedly lines and curves self-smooth. Haven't heard this reported by others, so I'm wondering if the combination of screen sensitivity and inking issues I've cited suggest I have a bad screen.

6) I knew going into it not to expect much from the screen, but it is dimmer than I expected on full brightness, no way of using it inside near a window during the day though I've only used it post-sundown. Colors also meh. Screen would disappoint me if I was planning to use it for art or watching videos, but I'm not.

I know I am way too early into it to form any judgments; I just wish I was initially pleasantly surprised with more things and disappointed with fewer.

Any thoughts?

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Here is an example of some of my notes where I started the work on my Surface Pro and continued it on my VN8. I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable it was to ink on it. I didn't feel hampered by the smaller screen size nearly as much as I expected; however, it helped that I work with my desktop machine opened up to the same note which makes up for the lack of screen real estate which is useful for referencing earlier lines. I inked in landscape (as I learned was preferable for me on the Dell). While attempting significant inking on the Dell I didn't enjoy that experience nearly as much. I was able to achieve passable results, but it required much greater effort and time spent.

The top image is from the SP1 and the bottom image the VN8.

spro_example.jpg
    vn8_example.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  7. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Which makes me really want a wacom tablet that's paper sized. Still it looks great

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

8. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anybody with a high speed micro SDHC or SDXC tested read/write speed using Crystal Mark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

omg meso... all those sin/cos with alphas... -_-

gives me the shakes, only because i tremble at the sight of math other than 1 + 1 = 11.

10. SuperiorWitt

SuperiorWitt Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried to install Windows 8.1 Pro on this device?