Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gsrfan01

gsrfan01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm curious what anti-virus suites you guys are using on your AVN8's? Do 3rd party scanners seem to impact the performance of the Atom chip?

2. PetetheSwede

PetetheSwede Pen Pal - Newbie

My new Note 8 fails to register the pen for a whole inch on the left side of the screen (when held in portrait with the Asus logo at the bottom). Recalibrating through control panel doesn't help. I am assuming there is nothing to be done from my end and it needs to be returned?

Have also bought and returned a Dell Venue 8 Pro for pen issues, this is all getting a bit tiresome.

Thanks for any advice.

Peter

3. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have already described this issue. If you reboot, the icon and the function will be back.
    There are new drivers on the Asus site, install them. I have less often issues since this update.

4. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If reboot does not work, try a shutdown from Windows+X or Windows menu, not from Charm bar.
    Wait 30 seconds. Then start your AVN8

Mesosphere likes this.
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Are you using a case with magnets on it? Some have reported magnets interfering with the digitizer. If not, it sounds like your device is faulty to me. I'd exchange it.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I agree with Meso - so many folks are having good success on average (save the "normal" Wacom problem of within 1cm around one or more of the edges of he screen), I'd return for another.

It doesn't matter which vendor (except less so with Samsung's implementation), I've had issues in that 1cm zone on Lenovo, HP, Microsoft, Sony, and now Asus with Wacom digitizers. Nearly perfect everywhere else on the screen. My guess is that for perfect edge tracking, they would need to extend the digitizer panel another 1cm beyond the visible screen. These things work by "tracking" the end of the stylus, and I would believe they are missing data that close to the edges - but then again, what the h$#@ do I know - I'm a lawyer, not an engineer.

7. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

What's the best way to get these updates? Does Asus have an app to check for updates?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

It does have one but it reportedly doesn't work reliably. Like the dell it seems the only way is to check them all manually. I wish the OEM's would just conform and distribute through windows update like the surface does.

9. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

I was surprised that there is very little Acer software or bloatwear on this device

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

10. jaylj14

jaylj14 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, IMO, I think it might work. I'm now waiting AVN8 to be available in Taiwan.
    I'm using Miix2 8" right now and it works fine to charge and OTG simultaneously just using a Y-cable(purchased from China).
    »ªË¶ME400C OTG Êý¾ÝÏß ³äµçÏß ÍêÃÀʵÏÖͬʱ³äµçºÍ´«ÊäÊý¾Ý YÏß-ÌÔ±¦Íø
    This cable is originally made for ASUS memopad. I think AVN8 will be able to charge and OTG at the same time by using the simplest Y-OTG-Cable.
    Or you can try using a Lenovo's charger which provides a slightly higher Voltage (5.2V 2A).
    I noticed that DV8P won't work with the Y-cable, which might be the reason for the +port showing up on Kickstarter.