Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Man, just when I think I am about to reach a milestone (as Bronsky said, 22 days is like dog years for strauss), you start throwing out MONTHS - :eek:

2. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone using an spen from note 2 or 3 phone ? I am having calibration issues and wonder what you see. The surface pen and the pen that comes with the Asus are fine

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

3. tanjeraldyne

tanjeraldyne Pen Pal - Newbie

just got mine!!!

quick question:

how do you test if there are no issues with the screen? what software do i need to use?

4. noonoo

noonoo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I have been following this thread for a couple of weeks now and just signed up to say that i picked up my 64GB this morning, at the Microsoft Store in Toronto.

I think they just got them today because i've been calling all week and they didn't have stock.

5. alvarez13

alvarez13 Scribbler - Standard Member

You can use any wacom enabled pen. I've used the samsung slate, axitron, note 2, and included pen on my little guy. You just have to calibrate each one which takes like 10 sec. Just go to control panel and have at it.

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Glad everyone else is enjoying their devices, but I decided for sure that mine is getting returned tomorrow. I realize I've had an issue that only one other member has had with the wobbly ink, but really the situation turned out to be what I thought it would; I just haven't had enough extra utility from an additional 8" device to make it worthwhile. I tried to use it as exclusively as possible for a few weeks, but really the only place I found the form factor to be superior over the SP2 (for my own personal needs, of course) was for reading before bed. It's just not worth it to me to have the extra device for such limited use. It definitely is a really good example of an 8" device though. And I'm convinced more than ever that 90% of the population would be more than satisfied enough with Bay Trail (though disk IO was a factor for me on a few occasions, so eMMC needs to improve, or Intel needs to make SATA available on this chipset).

Also, it really does make me wish I had Connected Standby on the SP2 though... and that it was about half a pound lighter. :D

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Bummer. Your a really useful guy to have following a thread =)

In a way I'm having the opposite problem. My SP1 sits unused occasionally for weeks (but more often days). It is just too important though for when I'm away from my desktop machines and have to do extended desktop tasks, or if I'm doing intensive inking.

edit: I also see the wobbly ink. I have to zoom in to see it though. It doesn't noticeably effect readability at a normal zoom level (at least in my case).

8. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah. I think I'll hold off for now. Already made it through half the semester using pen and paper. Might as well finish. That and I already know the 8" screen was a little cramped on the Galaxy Note. I imagine my the end of spring/summer there may be some 10-13" 64-bit bay trail tablets on the market with 4GB RAM. Something my developer side would appreciate for on the go scripting. But don't worry, I'll be following this closely. I'm glad you've found devices which really hit the mark, still hunting for mine!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Remember when I said the stores will probably have the 64GB in stock before I even get delivery of the 32GB? (I'm too lazy to find the post!). Well, just called my local (Tysons Corner, VA) Microsoft store and they have three 64GB (only!) models and they're holding one for me for pickup tomorrow or Sunday. (Yes, of course I want it tomorrow, in fact, I want it tonight and it's sitting there til 9:30 at the mall waiting for me to come claim it! But recent surgery means not quite as much mobility as I wish, and my wife is dead from a very long night and day - don't think I didn't consider asking if she might have just a little more stamina for a drive to Tysons :eek: but even I am not that selfish ;)

So now we have a 32GB that cost $267 net coming for my wife (thought it was today, but it's Monday :( ) and tomorrow I will have my very own 64GB unit, just like the "big boys!"

So now I have to ask the question I know I've seen discussed on at least 54 of the 7,599 pages of this thread - since last Tuesday :rolleyes: but lazy/unsuccessful finding if there was resolution. Namely, has anyone found a way to get the recovery partition off the 64GB drive and onto an SD card from which the computer can boot, and if so might someone point me to the how-to post. Alternatively, since we'll have a 32GB unit as well, can I copy the SD card that comes with it, wipe out the recovery partition on the 64GB unit and live happily ever after with the 8GB extra?

When I was explaining this all to my wife (who is getting excited like a true TPCR-er!) and told her that this extra 8GB may or may not be recoverable she astutely asked: do you mean you're paying $100 more ($368 after edu discount vs. $267 for 32GB) for as little as 24GB, and that's with a slot for an SD card with up to 128GB additional storage??! That's $4/GB of lousy eMMc storage, right?" (Note to self: don't teach her so much :D) So I ask you all:

1) Since my uses will be modest (Office including ON, Chrome and Firefox, Adobe Acrobat, a few utilities) and it has earlier been estimated that I may have 5-8GB left over on my drive, is this a good use of my $100? Of course, incrementally it gets better depending upon the answer to my earlier query about ways to store the recovery partition off line, and I'm sure I could get it all filled up (to 90%) if I had the space. So...(wait for next question)

2) Can I store and launch programs from the SD card, or just data files? If the former, then I can't see any reason to spend the extra $100, but I asked this before and the few responses said "yeah, well, maybe, sort of, but not really," or words to that highly specific and useful effect. :rolleyes: What say ye?

It seems the day has finally come: it's no longer going to be hard to get one of these. Why is part of me a little wistful about the end of the exclusivity of our club? :thumbsup:

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If you format the SD card with NTFS format, you can load and run programs. A lot of games won't run if they only look on the C drive for data. I think the issue with SD media is its speed. Plus, I don't think you can have data and programs running in the same partition but I could be wrong about that. That would mean multiple partitions if I'm correct. Get the 64 GB.:D

I can see how this device would not be for everyone. For me it's ideal. The 10" tablet is just too big to be the kind of notepad I'm looking for. The 10" tablet is too small to be the kind of ultrabook I'm looking for. 12.5" is as small as I want for a productivity device. Right now, that roll is filled by an X301 but I'm eyeing the Q704 or the T902 as a possible successor.