Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I hear you, Bronsky and other who have weighed in (thanks:)), and sure, I can - thank goodness - afford to blow $100 bucks on something distressingly close to nothing! Here again I am jaded from a couple of years of Android/Samsung (the latter modified> 4.2 so that you can run about 2/3 of programs seamlessly and with no time lag from SD card and it won't let you move an app to SD if it won't perform stably - or at all. I'm still not clear from the comments, if trial/error is the only way to find out which Windows Programs (and data files I'm now hearing?!) or if there is a cataloging of what does/doesn't run via SD. It's never been an issue for me on a lsptop because if I am running low on SSD space I buy a new one - or a new comouter :D.

So, best to think of the SD card as just a place to store media files or to x-fer pictures on a Windows 8 computer/tablet? Begs the question, why so much excitement over the release of fast 128 gb SXDC cards in this thread for this tablet? What in the world would you do with one?

I guess I'm on a bit of a new learning curve and accept that I will be confronting a variety of compromises and costs after learning how to get everything done on hyper-efficient, hyper controllable Android - especially Galaxy Note - products. Maybe I'm a little bummed that I currently have no professional need for anything more powerful than Evernote, if that (see Jeff in self-pity mode; do not try to comfort him, prefer you give him a kick in the rear :D)

[Still and all, Im wondering if I should consider sitting out this round, waiting for a far more powerful and finely made 8-9" Windows tablet/convertible and meanwhile choose among the tastiest "Note x" products (10.1 2014 is rather droolworthy) and keep spinning at warp speed as this platform gets better and better and even more second nature than they already are, and I mean for personal productivity. For more intensive productivity I go straight to one of four awesome laptops cum FHD/QHD IPS 13" awesomely bright and colorful screens with tactile keyboards, great audio...and all Office programs -including ON, just w/o inking - running lighteningly fast with i7 cpus, 800 Mb/s SATA III SSDs running in RAID0.]

In any event, I will be spending lots of quality time with both of my new AVN8s and helping my educator-wife One-Notify her life and developing custom "apps" for her varied and information intensive needs. So I'll be looking to fall in love with the AVN and W8 as a potentially better companion as long as there's a 5.7" Note 3 in my pocket :D.

Still would appreciate any clarification of what you can/can't use an SD card for in a W8 Bay Trail tablet and what, other than storing hi def movies, would a $150 128gb SXDC card be good for in this device. Thanks. And thanks for letting me rant - as if I gave you a choice :)

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Another way to think of it is that you have 15 GB of free drive space on the 32 and about 37 GB on the 64, so you get ~2.5x the free drive space. If we find a way to move the recovery partition off the eMMC, it will be 3x the free space.

3. Mesosphere

You could fill up a 128 GB card pretty fast with HD video.

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Got it. So I guess I can't use the recovery SD from my wife's 32gb model to recover a crash on the 64gb, snd no one has yet developed a hack to lift it from the 64gb drive and make it operational on an SD card? I have read every page on this thread but when I have 150 posts to catch up on the "we can do it" and "if only we could do it" posts tend to blur. ;)

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

5. Mesosphere

Unfortunately it kind of works on a case by case basis. Many programs will run without problems off the SD card.

6. Mesosphere

I don't think we know one way or the other on that.

7. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

i was wondering if i could use the SD card from my other 32gb unit

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

8. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

small world. i was the VP of Sales at Zenith

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Bronsky likes this.
  9. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Even after reboot, my auto-rotate is not working. The lock located in charm is missing as well. Have tried logging in as a different user same results. Very strange.

10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Have you checked device manager to make sure there aren't any errors?