Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I need to go that route. Thanks. Now that XP is finally being allowed to die a natural death, we're going all W7 in our office (woo hoo!). We'll get Office 13 subscriptions then too (we still have 2003 on some of our Thinkpads.:rolleyes: I'll probably up W8 to W8 Pro and put a full version of office on the M80T in conjunction with the upgrade.

@tgv - For a professional who has security concerns about notes containing client information, etc., Evernote is a non-starter. At this point, now that I'm all windows, I am absolutely paranoid about making sure I'm not letting anything sync in the MS cloud except for personal pictures and music.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. jaylj14

jaylj14 Pen Pal - Newbie

Could anyone confirm if the following folio case would work properly like the ipad's smart cover?
    I mean the auto wake /sleep function. I thought auto wake/sleep is the most important advantage of Thinkpad 8 (despite the high resolution).
    If AVN8 does support auto wake/sleep, then there will be no reason for me to get TP8.
    I've contact Minisuit's custom service. They are pretty sure that the auto wake/sleep would work on AVN8. Doubt...........

Classic Case for ASUS VivoTab Note 8 M80TA (Auto Wake Sleep, Wallet, Stylus)
    Amazon.com : VSTN®Asus VivoTab Note 8 M80TA (windows 8.1) ultra-thin Smart Cover Case, Only fit Asus VivoTab Note 8 (windows 8.1) tablet (Smart case, Black) : Computers & Accessories

3. nerdteddy

nerdteddy Scribbler - Standard Member

How many mm from the edge(s) do you see the problem with the pen?

I appreciate the feedback from anybody with similar issue.

Sorry if this has been answered but this thread is growing faster than I can catch up and I'm about ready to pull the trigger. Before the link goes dead link the other ones.

4. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think there is a good link right now. I've been waiting too. It will show up eventually I guess. Or I'll have a ride over the the MS Store.

5. alvarez13

alvarez13 Scribbler - Standard Member

Look how nice it fits in that old purse =)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    Bronsky likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Welcome to the 21st century (although I know that vampire, WordPerfect, still lives an breathes because our oil & gas title lawyers won't give it up).

@tgv - I second Bronsky's thoughts, and it applies to all truly "sacred" materials you have, whether password lists of client documents. The cloud is not a safe environment. And no flame wars out there from you guys who live in the cloud and swear my phone or computer could be lost or stolen at any time. You are RIGHT, but you are also WRONG, because if I lose it, or let it get stolen, that's on me, just like losing my wallet or credit cards. But if I put it up "in the cloud" its on both of us - me for being dumb enough to do it, and the vendor for getting hacked. Ask all us Target victims who had to change debit cards between Christmas and New Years...

lovelaptops likes this.
  7. alvarez13

alvarez13 Scribbler - Standard Member

Jorno keyboard was supposed to be set for April. Looks like they're getting close. One of the nicer portable keyboards I've seen.

Jorno

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That whole keyboard thing...

I know I demonstrated the little beast driving a big monitor with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse in tow, BUT

I would like to encourage everyone to try and break the habit this time around, and resist the urge to grow it up into a netbook. I plan on using that rig strictly at home when I forget Acer Beast and have to do some real power lifting. Otherwise, I am going to try to keep this a companion device, and I think most of you would do well to do likewise. Think of it as a window into your world, not the view from the back porch...

lovelaptops and soh5 like this.
  9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Didn't even realize they were still around after they took people's money two years ago and then never got a product out (I think they gave refunds, but still).

10. edteamslr

edteamslr Pen Pal - Newbie

Couple of things today. Firstly my IVSO case arrived in the post. I checked for the magnets and saw 4 small rectangles on the righthand lip of the case, 2 halfway down and 2 towards the bottom. These are pretty strong and hold the front of the case shut using the metal clasp you can see in the pic. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Cover-VivoTab-Windows-Tablet/dp/B00HLVEY4Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394131395&sr=8-1&keywords=ivso+vivotab+case

I'll come back to them in a minute. Next up was to find the magnets that hold the pyramid stand in the folded shape. This is using magnets in one of the front strips that forms the cover (the one the clasp is attached to). This is a much milder magnet and seems to engage to a hidden metal strip inside the rubber base of the device. This got me thinking - which of these are responsible for the 'reported' pen disturbance. I replicated the effect by holding various parts of the case near the screen with the pen registering but not touching. There is clearly an effect so I then thought - which magnets are near the screen when the pen is in use and it is really the strong ones in the lip of the case. What about the ones in the cover when it's folded back? I couldn't get an effect; so I then set about removing the magnets from the lip and left the ones in the cover that create the stand. The magnets are glued into the lip but I prised them out and I feel happier that they are no longer them. The downside is that the cover doesn't stay latched magnetically but will protect the screen.

The other thing today was getting the PTV3000 working. It usually takes 3 times to get it to attach to the screen and annoyingly if the device goes to lock screen it will kick-off and I have to reset the screen! If the box is close to the AVTN8 then the performance/lag is pretty good really. I found having the tablet below the screen worked will so that any large docs can be literally moved up onto the large screen (try playing the desktop resolution - this will avoid the portrait issue that people complained about. You can select Portrait/Landscape from there).

Overall, still loving it. Much happier with OTG cable to load files from USB rather than via homegroup Wifi. My logitech K810 keyboard is still a joy to behold so I'm now setup for some proper work at my desk or further afield.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.