Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I have several DisplayLink based displays and devices and they work fine. However you need the recently released DisplayLink driver 7.5M1 from DisplayLink: Windows Software, not the earlier one that Windows Update will offer. Earlier versions don't play well with Connected Standby and will drain your battery by 30% overnight. The issue seems fixed with 7.5M1 and I lose only 3% or so overnight

As the AVN8 can only supply a limited amount of power you may need to use a powered hub as a buffer. By doing that I have had my AVN8 driving three external displays simultaneously.

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

So it seems this will be the new darling around here for the next few months....Lots of satisfied customers!

Hopefully that will inspire Asus to make a bunch more Wacom-based devices.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thanks for the tip - just curious - why would the displaylink driver drain the battery at all if nothing is connected?

4. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

A bug! The DisplayLink drivers send the remote displays data in a losslessly compressed form. Where it can the driver seems to hand off some of this processing to the device GPU if it is capable of it. The power drain problem was that the GPU was kept active all the time, wouldn't shut down in Connected Standby and so drained the battery.

5. Rodney

Rodney Pen Pal - Newbie

When I visited the Los Angeles Microsoft store about a week ago, the 32G AVN8 was $299 and the online price was $329. I assume that's the case at all the Microsoft stores.

6. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

You might want to be aware that, at least here in the UK, there seem to be three SKUs of the M80TA/AVN8 available, All with 2GB of RAM. In order of pricing, cheapest first

M80TA-DL001H - 32GB SSD with the recovery image provided on an SD card. Windows 8.1 Standard with Office 2013 Home and Student. This seems to be commonly available.

M80TA-DL004H - 64GB SSD with the recovery image in an 8GB partition on the SSD. Windows 8.1 Standard with Office 2013 Home and Student. This seems to be fairly rare at the moment.

M80TA-DL004P - 64GB SSD with the recovery image in an 8GB partition on the SSD. Windows 8.1 Professional with Office 2013 trial downloader pre-installed. This was rare but seems to be becoming more widely available - particularly via the business channel.

7. dstrauss

Your reply hit my reset button and I remembered this Plugable demo of the similarly configured Dell Venue 8 Pro driving FOUR external monitors from one of their powered hubs...this may be the solution to my problem in that I don't want/need a full time desktop - would just like to not have to drag home the Acer Beast every time I anticipate more than a browsing session - even if it ran for four hours like this I'd be in perfect shape...

Dell Venue 8 Pro with Plugable Products | Plugable

My guess is using the USB mouse and keyboard would also save on Bluetooth drain on the AVN8 battery.

8. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

Turning down the brightness of the device screen should also significantly increase battery life in a powered hub configuration with external displays. The display is a very significant proportion of the total power pull on the battery.

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Or better yet have it turn the tablet display off while docked.

10. dstrauss

OK - I'll bite - how do you do that? That may not work if it won't support mirroring (they seem to have a problem with anything other than extended mode and displaylink).

(PS - Plugable 3.0 powered hub on order - it's $30 more than the USB 2.0 model, but that was what he was using, and a little more future proof with that TPT3 USB 3.0 - right?).