Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Since the Vivotab Note has GPS (and is Wifi-only), people might want to download Nokia's "Here Maps" (newly available for all devices) on it. Here Maps has the capability to download maps and use them offline:

HERE Maps app for Windows in the Windows Store

thierryb and Zeelobby like this.
  2. tgv

tgv Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm I cant get it to work. I dont have android onenote app installed currently but ive tried using the default samsung android browser, chrome mobile and Firefox mobile browsers but none of them will open my notes in browser, they all ask me to install the app. I tried requesting the desktop site, which was a good idea for a solution, but no luck! Is it actually working for other people or are you just thinking that it ought to??

3. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just guessing. Is the site listed as m.onenote.com? Sometimes you have to manually replace the m with www in addition to requesting desktop.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

lovelaptops likes this.
  4. tgv

tgv Pen Pal - Newbie

wow I got it to work, not exactly from what you said, but definitely from your prompting.

I checked the address and there was no m. at the beginning it was https://onedrive.live.com/id= lotsof lettersandnumbers BUT I did notice that the string ended with something like openinonenote. so I went back a screen to where I could see my notes on my onedrive, and instead of tapping the note I wanted to open I noticed the options at the top of the screen: create upload open share
    if you tap "open" it drops down a menu and allows you to choose "open in onenote" or "open in web app". I obviously chose web APp and hey presto!

so now I have to play with it to see if it might meet my needs and decide whether to keep or cancel my Asus note 8 on order! while it serves my purpose in that it will allow me to view handwritten notes and add bits to them with Swype, it is rather fiddly to navigate on my smartphone, it's difficult to know how easy it would play out on an 8incher with s pen...that's what I have to weigh up now. but thanks very much ilovelaptops for the original idea and zeelobby for the help.I guess most peoples needs won't be met by this work around but mine MIGHT be. have to decide now!

lovelaptops and Zeelobby like this.
  5. replax

replax Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, theoretically. HERE Maps currently is for ARM devices only, which the AVTN8 is LUCKILY not :D
    have to wait a little longer.. If anybody has a good suggestion for an OSM Based Map app with GPS Support, i am eager to hear it :D

6. a042349

a042349 Pen Pal - Newbie

That's funny, it installed and ran fine on my Asus T100. It must be an x86 version.

Of course my T100 doesn't have GPS so it's sort of a moot point for me. :(

7. jhoff80

Not true, downloaded it to both my Surface Pro 2 and my Vivotab Note 8 this afternoon. The update just might take some time to propagate out to all of the Windows Store servers.

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I think it might work for me too - and I clearly could not possibly have worked it out from the germ of an immature notion I had so....thanks to all of you and pleeze keep us posted. For those who already have a GNx device, this could for now be the very best companion solution until a better W8 tablet is released - eg, by Samsung! :D

9. surt

surt Pen Pal - Newbie

Can Here Maps work with the GPS? Mine seems to be going off of IP position and so is way off.
    EDIT: Nevermind, looks to be working now.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  10. jhoff80

Yeah, I tested it by turning off Wifi. It takes longer to get a GPS fix than it does to get an estimation from IP address though.