Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coyote

Coyote Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought a 32Gb at the Tysons MS store for $299 a few days after they came in stock. Went in yesterday and there is a price increase to $369. Happy to save the money. For anyone looking for a portfolio style case solution, get the FORAY 8" tablet case. its available at office depot. Get 4 Velcro squares and attach them to the back of the unit and the case on the right side. The front of the case has elastic pockets and can hold a mifi and surface pen

FORAY Pad Tablet Folio 6 x 8 12 Black by Office Depot

Need to figure out what to do with the rubber tablet holder on the left side. A microfiber cloth should do the trick.

Now a good no fingerprint screen protector... any advise ?

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Hmm, honestly I was pretty shocked when they initially reported a $299 US msrp. Wacom has always come with a hefty price premium. I found it hard to believe they could match the price of the penless and Synaptics slates.

3. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well. If the price difference between the 32 and 64 is only $50, at least its not super inflated (although there's still a little).

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

4. finarne

finarne Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,

I've just received my AVTN8 and am loving the OneNote experience. My only small annoyance is the lack of eraser functionality on the stylus - does anyone have any recommendations for a compatible stylus that also has an eraser?

Cheers,

Colin

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I think they are saying 369 for the 32 GB model, so that would be ~419 for the 64 GB model. If this turns out to be true it is roughly a $70 premium for having Wacom. More if you include the fact the Asus seems to have cut corners in other areas compared to the $300 slates like battery and perhaps a lower build quality.

6. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

Considering that the pen is included and an option for Dell the difference is even less. I am on a business trip tomorrow for a week and really wish there was somewhere to pick one up

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

7. Coyote

Coyote Pen Pal - Newbie

For those that have a unit any recommendations on screen protectors? The MS store is not carrying any. We need one that reduces fingerprints sine that is an issue.

8. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems odd to me that nobody, in the press reviews or here, seems to have mentioned that the VivoTab Note 8 comes with a GPS (strinctly GNSS) Broadcom chip,, which together with the Wacom stylus,are the killer features of this device for me.

Unfortunately the GPS is only accessible using the Windows Sensor API so if you want to use it with a desktop app that expects the GPS to send NMEA sentences through a COM port then you will need to use Localizer from Centrafuse Inc. to provide a virtual port.

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Any machine with Wacom will also easily be pushed over the $250 retail mark where Windows 8.1 will now go to full price instead of the cut rate pricing recently announced for the under $250 crowd (which doesn't really exist yet). If manufacturers pursue this $250 target point you will see a flood of cut rate feature deprived Windows based phablets hit the market real soon.

Microsoft just announced the new pricing and the new update to Win 8.1 that will allow installation on machines with 1 GB of RAM and 16 GB of 'storage.' So, watch for a flood of $200 Windows phablets with 1 GB of RAM, 16 GB 'storage', no digitizers (or more Atmel or Synaptics pens), and consumer 'throwaway' build quality. Unless Samsung keeps Wacom rolling the age of the active digitizer may be doomed. The Venue 8 Pro or the Vivotab 8 are going to look like 'professional' models soon.

10. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

The recent interview with Bill Gates said paper is the next thing to go so I think we will continue to see a lot of development in this area but won't be under $250 for a long time

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.