Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

No, there is no way. Microsoft doesn't offer Windows RT licenses to end consumers.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I know exactly how you feel. I keep coming back to the Surface (like a drowning man?), only this time with SPro 2. Still, it is the same general reaction - Wacom, nearly 11" screen (plus and minus for old eyes) -

ultimate cosmic power, itty bitty living space!

Wait until you try display port with a truly hires monitor (2560x1440) - you will NEVER be able to go back to a regular monitor. Still, it does not have the portability and convenience of the Asus. I really appreciated that, despite sending it back (for many of the same reasons as you). Eventually someone will add Wacom goodness to a high quality 8", even at Apple-like prices, and we will be home free. I keep hoping that might be Samsung because they have excellent quality S-Pens, but with the exception of the ATIV 3, no real Windows winners. Bring us a Galaxy Note 3 size Windows 8.1 phone and you will rule the rest of the universe Samsung!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    Zeelobby likes this.
  3. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Aladdin references for the win! And yeah, I'm really hoping Samsung announces some mobile Windows products at MWC. Definitely one of my favorite manufacturers at the moment, mostly because of their Wacom pushing, but in general I've had less issues/failures with Samsung products compared to Lenovo, Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, etc.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

4. dstrauss

Knew one of you youngsters would get the reference. I've been getting more and more pumped about pairing a GN3 or GN4 with my SPro 2, but I just read today latest Android upgrade (4.4 or something) blocks using the mSDXC slot as true external storage - you now have to save files out to a PC then bring them back to the flash card - if so, that will put an end to my budding affair with Galaxy...

5. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well you could use "the cloud"

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

6. dstrauss

Arggggggggg...why is the answer always "the cloud"? Some of us are pretty paranoid (and the NSA proved us right), and even steady LTE - AT&T is pretty good here, is still not as reliable a having the movie or data on local storage.

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'd prefer the NSA not look at my stuff, but I'm not really worried about it. What are they gonna do with it? I agree though on the LTE aspect of it. Data rates are steep, and the cloud has extremely high latency and low bandwidth compared to local storage. For me cloud storage is just a sync middleman.

dstrauss likes this.
  8. dstrauss

You are right - paranoia is over-rated, but until we have AFFORDABLE near-WiFi quality LTE, its just not the solution.

9. savyzzyz

savyzzyz Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm in Canada and snagged an AVN8 (32gb) from the new MS Store at Square One last week. Loved it but decided I needed 64gb so returned it and have been waiting like many of you for its release.

Well, it appears the widespread Canadian (and presumably US) launch of the AVN8 is indeed imminent. A couple of folks here have already mentioned a March 2 release date. Here's an article that just popped up which seems to corroborate that (minus a day):

New soldiers in the tablet wars (with video)

In particular:

I'm not a big fan of the price hike but considering how the Canadian Dollar has tanked recently I'm not that surprised...if in fact the article is even correct.

10. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

I was at Square One today. $369 pricing for 32GB is confirmed.

I was there exchanging a 32GB that I bought a couple of weeks ago which has very bad stylus calibration issues. I locked in at $329 but anyone buying now will pay the new price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.