1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

1. PECgem

PECgem Scribbler - Standard Member

Kingskiel likes this.
  2. PECgem

ASUS' VivoTab Note 8 has been one of CES' worst-kept secrets, but we're still glad to see that it's finally official. The 8-inch Windows 8.1 tablet is a direct foil for Dell's Venue 8 Pro, and includes a familiar-sounding 1,280 x 800 IPS display, 2GB of RAM, a 5-megapixel rear camera and an HD-capable front cam. Most of the differences revolve around its namesake pen input; the VivoTab includes a Wacom stylus that can handle 1,000 pressure levels, arguably trumping Dell's less sophisticated (and purely optional) approach. An ever-so-slightly faster 1.86GHz Bay Trail Atom chip doesn't hurt, either. The tablet should ship either late in the first quarter or early in the second, with prices starting at a frugal $299 for a 32GB model and climbing to $349 for a 64GB edition.

ASUS reveals the VivoTab Note 8, an 8-inch Windows tablet with Wacom pen input
  3. PECgem

LAS VEGAS—Asus will join the likes of Dell, Lenovo, and Toshiba when it ships its new 8-inch Windows tablet powered by an Intel Bay Trail-class CPU. But the Asus VivoTab Note 8 has one key differentiator: A Wacom digitizer stylus.

The tablet’s IPS display delivers native resolution of 1280 by 800 pixels and is powered by a quad-core Intel Atom Z3740 processor, 2GB of memory, and up to 64GB of storage. Onboard storage can be supplemented with up to a 64GB microSD card, and Asus is bundling unlimited cloud storage free for one year.

The VivoTab is outfitted with a 5 megapixel rear camera and a high-definition front-facing camera. The tablet does not have HDMI out, so Toshiba’s Encore (and Lenovo’s new business-oriented ThinkPad 8, announced yesterday) will have an advantage on that front—at least with folks who want to connect their tablet to a larger display.

The VivoTab Note 8 will be available late in the first quarter or early in the second at prices starting at $299 for the 32GB model and $349 for the 64GB model.

Asus outs the VivoTab Note 8, an 8-inch, $300 Windows tablet with a Wacom stylus | PCWorld
  4. PECgem

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You've got to love YouTube journalism - when comparing the Asus Wacom to the Dell Pro Synaptics (second video above) he says the Wacom is "a bit more accurate" which is like saying a BMW is a bit more luxurious than a Kia...
    nyb72, demandarin and dellaster like this.
  6. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

ha! I would have rather said it was like comparing a fountain pen to a #4 pencil, but I like your comparison better...

Actually, for me, I think the Synaptics is more accurate compared to the Wacom (could never really get calibration to work well, even with all the tricks and info out there). To Synaptics' credit, the tip seems to be exactly where the ink is being output, wheres the Wacom always had a bit of offset for for me. Having said that, I'd still jump ship for the Wacom just for the feel when the new stuff comes out.
  7. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Bronsky and PECgem like this.
  8. Tor

Tor Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally! A wacom device done right with a nice price tag on top.
    Minor problem: The windows button should be on the bezel and touch (no point having it on the side)

PS:Might pick up the keyboard alone for the surface
  9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Semantics I know, but Synaptics is more accurate, but Wacom is far more precise. As long as the calibration (which effects accuracy) isn't too bad, precision is the more important thing. It is fairly easy to learn to adjust to the small constant offset that results from an imperfect calibration, but you can't do anything to account for the precision. I suppose writing bigger with a zoomed page can account for that but that has rather major draw backs. The offset is simply a matter of practice.
  10. dstrauss

MontBlanc.jpg Crayola.jpg
  11. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

No, this is a good comparison of the sausage style capacitive pen to a good Wacom pen. Synaptics vs. Wacom is like a 7 cent ballpoint pen compared to a fine quality roller ball gel pen.
  12. soh5

soh5 Thinkpad or Bust

I love writing with the Unibal Needle pens. Such a crisp clean feeling.

I would equate that to the Wacom solution where as using a capacitive stylus is like working with oil pastels.
  13. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member

What are some ways to deal with these things?

1. Hooking up tablet to a larger screen like your laptop screen or a computer screen at school or an external monitor?

2. Is the tablet powerful enough for you? How do you make it more powerful?

3. How do you get the best deal on this device?

4. What do you think of Tablet & Mobile Accessories - USB Ethernet Cable ?
  14. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As much as I applaud to the three hit combo of Baytrail, Wacom, & 16:10, I'm really wish Asus or somebody else would make that combination in bigger sized screen. Most of the desktop art apps are crammed enough on the TPT2's 10.1 16:9 screen. And even though the Vivotab 8 is 16:10...the elongated Bezel would make using it in portrait mode feel more like a 16:9 tablet. And honesly because of the bezel in overall size it won't really be that much smaller then the 2014 Note 10.1.

Well, whoever manages to snag a Vivo Note 8 first, please install and test Photoshop. So long as Baytrail is powerful enough to run the brush engine modestly without lag and enable scrubby zoom, I would so buy it....nevermind how ridiculous it may seem to run photoshop on a 8inch screen.
  15. Mesosphere

You could ask some V8P users or maybe someone already tried this (I don't have photoshop, so I can't help), the performance should be the same (just much lower quality pen).
  16. soh5

soh5 Thinkpad or Bust

Meso are you going to get this and replace your DV8P?
  17. Mesosphere

Barring any major issues, yes, I probably will.
  18. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

FWIW, I have a Samsung Note 8/Wacom "S Pen" and it is far more accurate - in Android S Pen apps - than any Wacom TPC I ever owned running in W7(HP 2740, Fujitsu T730, etc.) no matter how many times I tried to do those infernal "+" alignments! There is no alignment adjustment available but it seems to have a self-alignment function, because the first time you touch the pen tip to the screen there is a microsecond delay and it goes from being slightly to the left of where the tip hits the screen, then snaps to an exact alignment and stays that way for as long as you are in the same app. Suggests that it's not inherent in Wacom to be misaligned, but the template it's used on - I guess. Anyone know if the SP or SP 2 have the same issue, and/or if W8.1 makes any improvement. I do agree I would probably still choose Wacom but if the Synaptics keeps improving as it has been, well, never say never!

As for reviews of the VivoTab Note 8, this one in Lilliputling is the longest I've seen (though I haven't seen the other youtubes mentioned above).

It's fun and satisfying to see the mfrs closing in on "the target," relatively quickly now that Baytrail has pretty much proved its muster. Though it's great that you can get a fairly solid, useful device with Wacom active digitized screens for such low prices, I would like to see something between these $350-$399 models and the insanely priced Fujitsu Q584. Truth be told, if it weren't for the gimped Android One Note app, I might still prefer my Samsung Note 8 to the first round of these Bay Trail W8.1 Wacom tablet PCs. Though it may look and feel plasticky (as I these cheap W8s do too) - it is solid, fast, has a great screen, superb Wacom usage and some compelling proprietary and increasing third party "S Pen" apps - all of which may not collectively be worth the OneNote sacrifice, but I will miss a good many of them when I "move up" to a W8 model. If you haven't tried the Note 8 or Note 10.1/2014 you might be surprised how useful an OS Android can be for productivity-centered uses, and of course excellent for content consumption and for its app selection and a blast for "tinkerers," especially when rooted. I'm sure I'll keep mine after getting an 8-10" W8 tablet, and it will be interesting to see which one I gravitate to more, given either are companion devices for my "fleet" of laptops.

Just curious, does anyone think this formula (Bay Trail 8" W8 TPC with or w/o pen could support a higher res. screen without overly taxing the cpu/gpu or significantly worsening battery life? I find it curious that every one of the recent W8 Baytrail models - exception, Q-584 for 4x price - come in at 1280 x 800 (a resolution we gladly accepted on 12" screens going back just a few years!), which isn't at all bad for 8". But with so many 7" Android models with prices as low as $149 have 1080p IPS displays, that it wouldn't add much to cost to use a higher res screen in the W8/8.1 8" models. I'm one who believes that much over 225 ppi on 5-7" screens is overkill at best and detrimental in a number of modes, but at 8" and above, I would think even something way short of 300 ppi but higher than the 189 ppi of all of the 8"/800p Windows tablet PCs would improve the image and text quality for content consumption while not suffering greatly from some scaling when you're in creation mode. My guess: the LCD vendors aren't making any other 8" IPS screens in high quantity/low cost volumes so it will take a bigger fish (Samsung?) to place orders large enough to motivate producers to offer higher resolutions in 8" tablet LCDs. What think?

Whee! This is getting fun - limited somewhat for me, see below*

*Word to the wise : Best Buy has put me on their "very bad human being" list and have removed my return privileges "indefinitly - even the 15 day option everyone gets, much less the 60 days my "Silver Preferred" status allowed me. No, it's not reasonable or even smart - for all I return I still spend, net, over $2,500/yr there - and yes, I could probably bring legal action and win, given that nowhere in the fine print does it say they can do this. But they are a huge company, and very successful of late, and I tried all the internal up-the-chain approaches to no avail and suing them presents too much of a David/Goliath scenario and, besides, it just doesn't meet my "time: benefit to me/benefit for the world" ratio for investing time or even money to fight it. Truth is, even the time I spend buying/demoing/returning/ and the money I ultimately spend on purchases "to keep" had become excessive relative to to better uses of my time and money. Still, I know I am not the only charter member of this forum who knows as much as he knows by "utilizing" (never say "exploiting") the otherwise generous return privileges of BB and the few other brick/mortar retailers that get many new products first and are less than a 30 minute round trip from home - so to all I say; caveat returnor!:p The best way to beat this is probably not to have "Silver" membership status even if I qualify and to set up a new account in my wife's name, new email/credit card and alternate it with a new account in my own name :cool:, also with new email/credit card. Then be happy for even 15 days to buy-and-try and be a bit more restrained with its use. I guess you can see that I really meant it when I said I need to cut back on the time I spend indulging in my obsession with electronic devices! :D

Peace. Jeff
  19. dstrauss

TalkingToMe.jpg

Let's be clear here - I have not been banned at BB or any of the online stores (paranoid a bit heh)...

PS - have I really been hanging around this joint nearly SEVEN YEARS? :eek: :thumbsup: :hi2:
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  20. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At best they might be able to confirm the use of scrubby zoom so long as Photoshop's Open GL settings work with Baytrails new graphics chips. But as far as pen/pressure performance thats a whole different matter. Photoshop is fairly resource heavy compared to the other art programs and with a Wacom digitizer.....the feel it/wintab driver is just as crucial to performance as the hardware itself. I've had old Tablet PCs that would lag in Photoshop using the built in digitizer, but when connected to a USB powered Wacom Bamboo tablet would work fine. Since the Feel it driver is a one size fits all driver...its hard to guess how it will perform on different hardware. With more powerful core i5 and older Core2duo tablet PCs, its less of an issue since they were powerful enough.....but the older Pentium Mobile tablets...as well as Atom in general is a different story. Photoshop randomly lags on the clovertrail atom platform, its not powerful enough to run it properly but it does run but not horrifically enough where the gap is that wide. but since Baytrail is supposed to offer significant performance increases, Baytrail might be powerful enough to make photoshop useable with the Feel it Driver. And with the exception of Fujitsu's Q584 (which is more up my alley, except for the way too high price) the Vivotab Note 8 seems to be the only other Baytrail/Wacom device at the moment.