Asus Vivotab Note 8 Pen failure rate

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

These findings are wild, Mesosphere. Great work.

Probably my unit shouldn't qualify for inclusion in the statistics because even though mine did not exhibit problems, I returned it when there was a batch of different users reporting the problem. I use my technology on the road and there is nothing worse for me than when a computer fails while on a business trip. So my AVN8 didn't get the usage that other people here are probably putting theirs through.

I wonder whether the failure rate has something to do with why the device is still not available at big box retailers. I am really surprised that 2+ months after the devices have been in the wild, they still have not popped up at the Best Buys of the world.

Either way, very disappointing. I bought a firesale-priced Surface Pro hoping that this would solve my inking needs and while it's a great machine, the form factor does not lend itself well to quick usage while on phone calls. I need to be more confident in the AV8N or have a Surface Mini actually surface.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

His first post on these forums was about the digitizer failing. I'm not including people who didn't discuss their unit prior to pen failure. I think that subset will be heavily biased towards failure.

People who discussed prior to failure may be biased in the sense that they are enthusiast and not average users, but I don't think that should pose a significant bias one way or the other on their likelihood of pen failure.

3. Mesosphere

Thanks for the clarification. How long did you own it before returning it?

4. connman

I actually had two units. First one had red stuck pixels and returned it after two weeks (and did not have any pen-related issues).

Second unit I did not end up opening. Exchanged the first, took it home, and read enough new posts about problems so decided to take it back without opening.

Based on my short trial, my scenario probably is not worth including in the stats. On the other hand, removing me from the stats increases the failure rate which doesn't bode well for Asus.

5. Mesosphere

Lol, no it doesn't. But I will remove you anyway =P

Edit: Spread sheet reads 28% ± 20% without you =(

I'll wait for more updates before updating the OP though.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  6. connman

Seems like pen failure is starting to pop up more and more "in the wild" (so to speak).

I've seen a few references to this problem now on Twitter.

BTW: If it seems like I am spending an inordinate amount of time looking at this product for a guy who got rid of it already, it is because I am trying to convince myself not to buy another one and slowly losing the battle.

7. Mesosphere

Well if the failure rate is truly 28% it should be showing up all over the place. That is a pretty astronomical failure rate by computing standards. I think HDD have failure rates around the 5% mark and that is extremely high by tech standards. As a result (my interpretation), it is hard to find a HDD that has a user rating above 4/5 stars.

Having said that, I'm still committed to this device. There is no alternative right now for an 8" windows device with a good pen input experience.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    dstrauss and thierryb like this.
  8. Cirano994

Cirano994 Pen Pal - Newbie

30% is huge.

I'll wait, i can't buy a thing that 1 on 3 is faulty.

That's a shame because this is exactly the tablet i was looking for.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

9. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

OK.
    Thats how you set up your criteria.

I noticed the last few reviews on Amazon,
    a couple of people mentioned digitizer problems.

I wonder what the build dates are on their tablets?
    Amazon has not been carrying them very long.

Can you post a review if you did not buy something from them?

10. mitchellmcd

mitchellmcd Pen Pal - Newbie

My pen failed; was at the point of giving up until I reinstalled the wacom drivers, been going for a week strong since!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.