Asus Vivotab Note 8 Pen failure rate

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

44 days in with 64gb - no Wacom drivers, no pen issues. Did install latest Wacom yesterday, still no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. thatdude90210

thatdude90210 Pen Pal - Newbie

My first one had intermittent pen issues, and no Wacom drivers, just MS drivers. Returned it within 30 days. 64GB --- 02/2014 build from MS online.

2 weeks into my second one, also 64GB - 02/2014 build, from Newegg. No pen issues so far, just installed latest Wacom driver last night.

3. kmckmc

kmckmc Pen Pal - Newbie

M80TA-C1-CA, 64GB, 2014/01 build
    Did not install any windows update, except for couple of windows defender definition stuff.
    Wacom driver not updated yet.
    Have been using 3 weeks so far, and no problem at all. Still too early to tell though.

4. Azule

Azule Pen Pal - Newbie

You can add me to the failure list. I bought it off eBay, working just fine but after a week of use, the pen died critically and quickly; never to return again. It's RMA'd now.

5. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine is working fine with the original stylus as well as Surface Pro Pen. I was a little disappointed after flashing the leaked firmware update, but the new Wacom feel driver mitigates the downside of the upgrade. So far so good, except for the edge issue.

Haven't been in discussion for a while since I've been dealing with my Dell XPS 12...Exhausted.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Just to make sure. Are some of you impatient to your nature? I'm listed as not failing, and it hasn't, but I do sometimes get "non-recognition" reaction from the screen. This might happen when switching WiFi connection, when checking for mail or perhaps downloading a file. The digitizer won't turn on again until the task at hand is finished, but it does come back, provided you're just patient for a while.
    But I can see how if it doesn't immediately react to touch from the stylus you might get frustrated and start troubleshooting and thus starting new processes so the digitizer won't come back on line. If you look back at what happened and how you reacted, might this possibly be the case in some instances?

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Mine has worked fine for 38 days so far.:eek:. Fingers crossed. Only updated firmware with the one emailed from an Asus rep., W8.1.1 update and defender updates. I've updated nothing else yet. I'll wait another couple of weeks before starting to update the drivers to see if any instability develops.

First unit failed but it wasn't the digitizer. The connected standby part of the CPU was overheating.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

In my case at least, that is not the issue. I have had what you are describing happen, but it is not the problem I am referring to.

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

We live in a time and age where people expect instant gratification, hence my concern.
    I was thinking that in the eagerness to find out what went wrong some user might actually cause further deterioration.

10. chobo

chobo Pen Pal - Newbie

I am on my 3rd VN8 I got from Newegg. It's been 2 weeks and I have no pen problem yet. The only updates I had was Windows 8.1 update 1 and the new Wacom driver I installed last night. I use the stock pen and Fujitsu pen.

My first 2 VN8 was from MS(one of the first 64GB batch). They both developed the pen problem after a couple weeks of use. I had a bunch of Windows patches on the unit including the digitizer firmware from Asus that somebody posted on one of the thread here. I also had a custom pen calibration.

I am keeping the 3rd unit as clean as possible, without any good reasons. Just thinking may be it helps the pen from stop working somehow.