Asus Vivotab Note 8 Pen failure rate

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I don't think it's a palm rejection issue. I think that, on some units, the display may be defective or unusually fragile. I don't think this is the only problem but Asus has replaced at least 2 displays in RMA'd units and mine clearly needs a new display. I'm just waiting until after the 20th before I trek down to the MS store to return it. I'll probably come home with a replacement M80TA and an I5/4GB/128GB S3 while I'm at it.:D

2. squib

squib Pen Pal - Newbie

Would it not 'overload'* the digitizer if palm rejection was finicky? Either way I'm using a glove. Stylish and leaves barely any streaks.

*like Captain Kirk confusing the hell out of a computer

3. Solitude

Solitude Pen Pal - Newbie

Perhaps naming the tablet "Stella Mudd" made it behave shrewish?

4. Plex

Plex Pen Pal - Newbie

Add me to the list of people who want to toss this thing in the garbage.

I've had this tablet for only a week and the stylus randomly stops working. Sometimes it'll respond again after a few seconds, but most of the time I have to restart the tablet. This happens whether I'm using the default stylus or a Bamboo Feel.

I thought at first it may be the Wacom Feel driver being complete garbage, so I did a factory restore and it seemed like the issue was fixed. A few hours later of sketching in Sketchbook Pro, it's failed again. I'm about ready to send this piece of crap back, which makes me sad since I actually really liked it when it was working.

5. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sooooooo...

Tablet arrived at ASUS May 14. After checking in every day for nearly two weeks now, it still hasn't been registered in their RMA system. I've been told everything from "Trust us, it's being worked on" to "Our RMA reporting system is broken" to "We have no record of your RMA". Unfortunately, in that order.

I told the tech on webchat this morning that I'm now convinced they lost my tablet altogether, and/or as an organization are completely and utterly incompetent.

Expecting a callback today from their management. (Or am I...)

Sigh.

6. chrismariusb

chrismariusb Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got my note8 on May 20. Pen is already broken.

7. squib

squib Pen Pal - Newbie

Ever since I refreshed Windows on Friday it's been running smooth as silk. Time will tell though.

Haven't connected to wifi, no Touchmouse, been mindful of the RAM limitations...and have been actively avoiding putting my palm on the screen.

Still convinced a lot of the pen issues are software-related.

8. chrismariusb

chrismariusb Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried reinstalling all the drivers, refreshing, and then a factory reset and nothing brought it back. I had it less than one week. Pretty effin lame.

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

That certainly is a record holder, not the kind you want but still a record. Considering the fail rate reported here I find it a tad insulting that Asus hasn't addressed this publicly. Own up to reality or risk loosing hard core supporters seems like a no-brainer to this gal.

Dave47 likes this.
  10. Solitude

Solitude Pen Pal - Newbie

I will agree. Although it is possible that the problems are specific to the early production runs, they should still say something to the customer base even if that is the case.

Dave47 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.