Asus Vivotab Note 8 Pen failure rate

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smellon

smellon Pen Pal - Newbie

i couldn't even find chipset drivers haha. its the um77 board or series 7 i think.

note: my pen still works but its only been 3 weeks..

2. squib

squib Pen Pal - Newbie

Self-destruct sequence activated. Though I waited 10 minutes and scribbled with the pen, and it ressurrected.

So far, all the wonky pen activities include:
    -loss of pressure sensitivity for stretches
    -inconsistent inking, sometimes I'd get blobs - like using actual ink; sometimes writing colons and semicolons results in a big straight line
    -screen stuck in one orientation for a day
    -when the backlight is on, you can just make out a damaged bright spot on the LCD
    -1/6th of the screen(same area as damaged LCD portion) died for a bit
    -oh, and of course, the pen not being recognized at all and requiring a couple of system restarts

No doubt as a result from slight overheating, having to press the power button 30 times or so to get it back from sleep and of course some gentle bumps here and there.

Failure rate must be close to 50% by now(higher if you include the new members from the past few weeks).

3. lordu

lordu Pen Pal - Newbie

Failure rate is over 9000! Theres no way that can be right!
    *couldnt help myself*

- U

squib likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'm interested in your description of a bright damaged spot on your LCD. That is exactly how I would describe the 2 lines on my display. I guess they haven't leaked into the digitizer yet. I am waiting to see the white model made available in the US before I return my M80TA. I want the latest manufacture date I can get.

5. ntrolls

ntrolls Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,

Sorry that my first ever post is somewhat out of blue. I've been eyeing this forum for some time, contemplating whether I should get a VN8 or not. Is there any evidence that the situation is improving with later production runs? Would it be plausible that MS Stores got the earliest batch, as they were one of the first retailers to sell them?

6. squib

squib Pen Pal - Newbie

It's extremely faint and can only be seen when the screen is tilted at a certain angle. I wouldn't have paid it any mind but then I remembered a few weeks ago it wasn't registering any input in that exact area.

I'm going to wait for more options before bringing this one in as well. After a system refresh it works like new. Go figure.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Exactly! (10char)

8. squib

squib Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe. But it might be a very small sample size because I haven't seen too many people around here say theirs is from March or April, and even then it's too soon to say.

Do you rest your palm on the screen when taking notes? The other day when my pen stopped a couple of times, I noticed that my palm was activating the system clock, moving windows etc. when palm rejection should have been preventing this.

I really wonder if it's as simple as that...

9. Solitude

Solitude Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine has an April build date, though it is early to tell.
    I haven't installed a lot because the otg cable I ordered hasn't come in yet, and I want to use a gaming keyboard and trackball with a powered hub at home instead of a bluetooth keyboard.

Not that I am against Bluetooth keyboards, I just want to wait on the Zagg portfolio before deciding on what to buy.

So my machine is two weeks old and is seeing only light use.

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

All the palm rejection does is detect the pens presence and deactivates touch, so if the pen isn't working, palm rejection won't either.