Asus Vivotab Note 8 Pen failure rate

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'd suggest you go to their help page and send them a link to this thread.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

2. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One of the members, sweatpea8477, posted an email to Asus about the pen failure.

They wrote him/her back "Contact the pen maker...."
    (Hmmm, who's nme is on the computer?)

3. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My original 32gb is bios 206 12/12/2013
    Manufacturer date 01-2014
    The pen first failed @ 32 days
    The pen completely failed after 44 days

My second 64gb bios is 207 1/7/2014
    Manufacterer date 02-2014
    Has not failed yet...but only had since 4/30

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, the sales rep probably is completely unfamiliar with this product, Wacom, and how it works. Unfortunately, I think that is often what it is like in the tablet pc niche. I had hoped this device would make enough of a splash to change things, but it appears it hasn't. It is probably such a minor product in terms of the volume of their sales it isn't showing up on the average support techs radar. Things like this have been a common problem with tablet pc's for the whole decade of their existence.

5. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not averse to contacting senior management if I can figure out how. Will do some research today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

deleted end

7. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

Guy's a real comedian. Ha ha.

As if the stupid pen could ever fail short of being run over. Do they even use their brains at all?

8. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Do we have a sense what the actual number of individuals on this list are having problems with the pen and/or digitizer?
    I'm very seriously considering the purchase of this tablet but these topics regarding the pen/digitizer scare me to death. I'd hate to put down money on a product that will fail after the 30 day return period if I purchase it from the Microsoft retail store. I'd love to know how many people have this device and have had no problem with it.
    There is very little negative comments on Amazon so I wonder if the vast number of units out there are okay or if their units just haven't had the chance to fail yet...
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Pierre

9. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

Microsoft is most likely revealing its Surface Mini with Windows RT on May 20. It is rumoured to ship with a stylus. If you aren't depending on the full Windows 8 x86 desktop experience, I would suggest to wait for the announcement.

The AVN8 is great if you happen to have no more issues with the pen (mine got fixed within 3 days and I didn't have any issues since then). But the build quality is a little lacking, and the screen size and quality is very limiting. The Surface Mini is supposedly in 4:3 format and seems like a very compelling OneNote device if you are into that.

10. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the information BobWerk. At lunch today, I drove over to my local Microsoft Store and took a look at an actual unit. I liked the size and decided to take the plunge on the 64G version.

I'm going to keep track of what's happening with the device and report in any problems. Since my aim is to have a portable drawing device, I'm going to try and do some video reviews showing the upside and downsides of an 8" tablet for just such a purpose.

I've read plenty of rumours concerning the Surface Mini. Unless is runs a full version of Windows 8 and is priced very competitively with other 8" tablets, I'm going to muddle through this and see what happens.