Asus Vivotab Note 8 Pen failure rate

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

UPDATE: The failure rate has increased from the numbers posted here. Since the last update below, many of the unfailed devices eventually failed. However, we have found a permanent fix!
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asu...us-vivotab-note-8-pen-failure.html#post410002

ORIGINAL POST
    I thought this should have a dedicated thread. I originally posted it here.

I did some statistics on the failure rate of the pen. I went through the list of top posters (by post count) in the review thread. I compiled a list of people who meet the following criteria,

1) Owned the device a significant amount of time (~ 1 month). This excludes those who returned the device for other reasons.

2) Posted about the device significantly prior to the pen failing (or not failing). People who join specifically to talk about the pen failure would obviously bias the results (not to discount their pain).

3) Didn't drop off of the forums soon after purchasing (maybe it failed but they didn't come back to talk about it).

These criteria are restrictive. I did this to minimize the effect of various possible biases I could think of.

I've added more to the list since its creation which meet all three criteria, but are not necessarily top posters.

Here are the results...

vn8_pen_failure.jpg

The failure rate among this (hopefully random) sampling of 31 owners is 35%. The sampling error is 18%, so assuming I did avoid significant biases the actual failure rates is likely somewhere between 17 and 53 percent.

If you see an error on this list please let me know. A 0 indicates no failure and a 1 indicates failure. Also if you think you fit the criteria for the list let me know and maybe we can improve the sampling error.

Pending Additions:
    (let me know if you should be here)
    none

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. mss_53

mss_53 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think one factor which probably is involved in the pen failure is installing the wacom drivers, if you think that would have a correlation you can stratify the result based on whether they have installed the wacom driver or not. I have AVN8 for a week and it seems to be ok.

3. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have 2 avn8.
    At present time, only the first one has pen issue and will be rmaed

4. Mesosphere

Perhaps, it is hard to know that though. People didn't necessarily report whether they did that or not and even if they did reading through ~30 peoples post history as I did to compile this list was difficult enough =P.

Perhaps, people could volunteer that information though. I for one didn't install any Wacom drivers. I didn't install any drivers other than the ones windows update did for me.

5. Mesosphere

How long have you had your second unit?

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Good job Meso - see what real computer firepower will get you! For the record, my pen didn't fail (but, I was a little short of the 30 days).

7. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nearly one month.
    Exactly the 27th of March.
    Hey, it was my birthday!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Claud likes this.
  8. Mesosphere

Yea, the traitors didn't fit the criteria :mad: =P

thierryb likes this.
  9. Nex01

Nex01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine still works fine. Got it in the beginning of April.

10. greatg

greatg Scribbler - Standard Member

Purchased mine in March (64GB model). Updated all the Asus drivers & MS stuff as well. No Wacom updates...NO issues with touch or stylus (knock on wood!!!)