Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just got my Unit back from Asus RMA Service.

Since my screen developed quite a few scratches I was hoping they would have just sent me a new unit, but nope they fixed up my old unit....and Pen is working good as new. They also fixed the small problem I had where the Backlight would stay on when putting the device to sleep.

Was also kind of shocked to see my 28GB Harddrive was now 20GB...leaving me with only 6GB of free space.

Despite having the 32GB Model, Asus Decided to Partition 8GB for Recovery. Since the Recovery SD Card gave my unit the whole backlight problem, I took a 16GB thumbdrive to copy this newer backup over to and free up local Diskspace.

Ended up taking less then 2GB? Go figure. ....

However the Repair Summary doesn't give me alot of confidence.

Repair Detail :
    1. Symptom : Touch Pad Error
    Repaair : Replace M80TA Touch FFC 10P,0.5MM,42MM

2. Symptom: Error Message
    Repair : Reload Operating System

2. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

May give this a shot if your sleep drain is so low! task scheduler doesn't affect windrows updates anyway am I right? I tend to do all my defragging manually, if it even matters on solid state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. alexb2611

alexb2611 Pen Pal - Newbie

Solid state drives shouldn't be defragged, it just wears the memory cells out quicker. There is no delay accessing data from non-contiguous areas of the solid state memory like there is with a hdd read head seeking back and forth, so no need.

4. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

I had a scare this past week. I miss-placed my AVN8 for 4 days. :eek:

I was mad at first that I lost it. Then I thought of it as a chance to see just how important is was to me. The answer was...somewhat.

There wasn't a day when I thought, I wish I had that tablet right now. It wasn't as if I had other ways of getting things done. yesterday it was found and returned to me. So my conclusion was...and I suspect this would be similar to many other tech in my life...glad I have it, but it's not a life changer.

Oh...and my pen is still working fine :D:rolleyes:;)

5. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

Please bear with this very neurotic sounding question.

When the pen for my AV8N is in the silo, it has some give. By this, I mean that when the tablet is face up (that is, I'm looking at the screen), if I accidentally tap on the end of the pen, it rattles against the housing directly above it.

Don't get me wrong, the pen is not so loose that it's falling out. But the end of the pen has some give against the housing.

Again, I realize this is a neurotic question, but if somebody could indulge my nutty nature, I'd appreciate if you share with me if there's a little give at the end of your pen/silo or if it's very tight and doesn't move.

Thanks.

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Can't say I ever noticed this, but, yes, mine seems to do that too =)

7. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, Mesosphere. Nutty neurotic episode averted.

8. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

ah thanks, I disabled a lot more stuff/ set to manual. this seems to have dropped the battery drain a lot. the store destroys battery life for some reason it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. rirawin

rirawin Scribbler - Standard Member

Just got my new Note 8 today.

First impressions are the build quality is better than I imagined, its pretty damn nice.

The Windows button is tough to push in, feel like I'm going to break it.

Drawing is kind of wierd, I haven't installed the feel drivers yet as I'm doing the updates but playing in paint and it seems it requires a degree of pressure to draw than I'm used too. This was tested with the asus note stylus which was the worst, sp pen and the bamboo feel which were better.

Still can't believe I can use manga studio or sketchbook on this thing

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Give it time:rolleyes: ... Welcome.

BTW, what is your build date (on the id tag on the back).

Edit: BTW, I'm really starting to appreciate the pen in the silo, since I loose my S10 eraser pen every few days. I keep it in the strap so I lay it down whenever I have to use the tablet and wind up leaving it all over the place. It's lost at the moment. The Silo pen is always there.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.