Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Since I got mine back from repair with a new mainboard and stock OS, I notice that I haven't had a single occurrence of pause during wake, swipe to shut down, etc. Used to happen regularly.

Lots changed though: mainboard, 210 BIOS, and all Windows updates reapplied. And now that I said so it may happen tomorrow. ;)

Anyone else with an issue try BIOS 210?

Sent from my M80TA using Tapatalk

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

In an earlier post I mentioned that Asus has released the AVTN8 with a white back plate and stylus. I saw it in a store for the first time today and noticed that production date was 2014/05. Perhaps an attempt to separate it from earlier productions runs? Kind of seems like a tacit acknowledgement that the build quality was a real problem. It truly was a QC/QC problem! :hi2:

3. lordu

lordu Pen Pal - Newbie

Can't say I have. I'm still on the original VNT8 bios, whatever that number is. My 01/2014 is still chugging along fine with no problems. Was drawing with it yesterday, no hiccups or anything yet.
    I usually avoid doing any bios changes because its dangerous, lol. Its almost as dangerous as messing with the windows registry. Any screw up with the uploading the bios or accidental memory burps during the file transfer causes unspeakable terror if done incorrectly. I'll probably update it to 210 as soon as (if) my pen fails ;)

Thats sweet, I guess ill wait a few more months before accidentally running over the VTN8 with my car, lol.

- U

4. Solitude

Solitude Pen Pal - Newbie

If you are still in Japan, see if the multicolored case doesn't indicate a model with a built in television tuner. That is sort of common over there.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

White? yuck....White is almost always an ugly color for a tablet.

I hope though the build quality issue was the rational for it though.

Also....I'm still waiting for it to be delivered, but Asus Received my RMA on May 30th, and according to the RMA Status Section of their Website.....my Repair was Completed and fed-ex-ed back to me on June 2nd.

Which is much faster then all the posters who had 2-3 week waits...so either they just gave me a new unit (please no white back) or they found some sort of quick fix for the problem.

6. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

hmm, well my pen still works, but has anyone noticed that the note 8 drains a lot of battery during sleep mode? like say from full to zero in a day. that seems horrible compared to my other devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. lordu

lordu Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't really noticed this. But Ill give it a test run. A lot of times after drawing. I just let the tablet go to sleep. After a few hours, I go back to it and the battery is still around 3/4, maybe half. One time though, I let it sleep. When I went back to it, it wouldn't wake. I suspect the battery drained somehow. If I had to hypothesize, there was an an application in the background running that was still eating cpu cycles during sleep, and hence draining the battery. In a possible "fix", I'd check to see if too many stray apps/programs are running in the background. Kill the rest and run one or two before letting it sleep. Zombie draining power apps are the worst.

- U

8. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

good idea, I had that happen from a fresh boot and only having run photoshop -- it seems a bit silly if I have to close every single program in order to hit the sleep button, hehe. I guess that's the one advantage a non pc tablet has? I'll see I I can pinpoint what the annoying power sucking app is! thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. lordu

lordu Pen Pal - Newbie

ok fishdavis, After our little forum post, I unplugged my VTN8, was at full battery bar. I used it for an hour drawing sketchbook pro. Then didn't use it for 3. During that time, sleep got interrupted twice because of an alarm app started to ring between those 3 hours. I drew around 2 hours between then. Then let it sleep for another 3. I woke it up right about now, the battery level is showing around 60%-70%

Does that sound about right? I have my VTN8 set to sleep ---

On battery power, turn off after
    10 Minutes

When plugged in, turn off after
    1 hour

- U

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Wanseg is mostly on phones, the resolution is too small for tablets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.