Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmadan

wmadan Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought Drawboard for PDFs.

2. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

Touchme

Is supercool

3. dlcottin

dlcottin Pen Pal - Newbie

Asus is working fine for me so far after about six weeks - but I already have a usb modem that I have used for a couple of years when traveling (with laptops) and it has available software for Win8 at my provider's website. Virgin Mobile. I am trying to avoid using a mobile hotspot for two reasons - first I already own the usb modem and second, because I already have enough items that require batteries to be charged on a daily basis.

I downloaded the new software for Win8 and unzipped it onto the Asus and it will not "recognize" the modem during the installation process. I have started a dialogue with Virgin Mobile, so will get those answers later on. Is it something in the OTG port that makes the modem un-seen? It has no trouble seeing my thumb drives or a keyboard or a mouse. Previous posters said that anything requiring much in the way of "power out" like an outboard hard drive or a floppy drive would not work, but thought my little usb modem would be enough of a low-power item to work. Any thoughts on this from anyone else?

Details - modem is a U600 and uses the Franklin drivers. And yes, it works fine, as I used it to send this to the group.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

My guess is that it is a power problem. Do you have a powered USB hub you could test it on?

5. squib

squib Pen Pal - Newbie

Made the decision to take it back to the store today. Although the form factor was growing on me, this thing isn't worth the constant worry. Just need something that I know is going to work.

On the plus side, I reset my Galaxy Note and was pleasantly surprised with a much improved Sketchbook Express. It's not the ideal sketching/note taking device, but it's a lot better than it was.

6. dlcottin

dlcottin Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, at the other house, so will try that idea next week. Hoping that it will not work with powered port and there is something I can fix w/o adding another powered device to tote about/ :))

7. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder if I have a faulty power button on mine?

Out of random, when I tap the power button to turn on the tablet, it won't turn on, but blank for a few seconds then show me the "Slide to Power Off" screen.

8. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The power buttons do not seem to be consistant.
    My first tablet would power up with maybe a 2 second
    press & hold.

The second one, you must press & hold until you see the
    (camera?) white light light upm then release. It takes a
    slow count to 3 or 4.

The buttons are definitely mushy compared to the Dell.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  9. ananimus

ananimus Pen Pal - Newbie

This was mentioned before, but waking the device seems more consistent using the Windows button instead of the Power button. Unless it's been asleep for a while, then sometimes Power button is needed to wake it.

Otherwise yea, it's annoying. I have the same issue. Half the time I use the power button it offers to power down. FYI, swiping up instead of down in that case also goes to the unlock/Start screen.

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Noticed that the price in Japan has gone down 20%. Is this consistent over other markets?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4