Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you get your tablet back from repair?
    If so, what did they place

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Your far from the only one. Several of us have had failed digitizers, or other hardware problems, and we still love it. I have two.

3. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I bought a 64gb micro sd card, I had 18gb of
    data that I copied to a USB drive from the old
    32gb card.

My upload to the USB pen drive was 32kb-3.5mb
    (sometimes it would go to 0 for abit)
    & it fluctuated wildly. it took most of the afternoon
    to upload the files.

The USB downloaded the files at 14mb-27mb back to the new 64gb card.

Is this usual or is there a setting to speed upload speeds up?

4. deV14nt

deV14nt Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys I saw a lot of attempts here to create a recovery SD card. I've done some of that myself when I was fixing my W8 laptop. Someone posted a list of folders in the recovery partition. The one that holds the recovery files is called sources. In it are a set of .swm files. There is also a txt batch file to recreate the partitions that is run before the restore. This was helpful for my Toshiba, but should apply to any Windows 8 recovery. Note, though that imagex.exe is now dism.exe, but uses most of the same CLI arguments. This technet article on dism might be useful and you can also search msfn and the MS reference libraries for information about dism.

I think it might be best to figure this out on a normal Windows 8 PC unless someone is really comfortable restoring their VTN8 some other way if something were to go wrong. I only did all of it because my PC wouldn't even boot and it was my only option. I think it just failed and didn't do anything the times I screwed up, but it really could just wipe the whole thing when it's recreating the partitions and then you got nothing. Anyway, I made sure to copy the swm files to a different location this time just in case. It's definitely doable, but would take some tinkering to make the SD card bootable with UEFI and everything in the proper place, the partition creating script modified properly, and...well I don't know what else. Maybe that's a start?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

Since a few days, my AVN8 can't boot to windows anymore, it goes directly in "bitlocker recovery", asking to type my recovery key, but the problem is that it doesn't register any input : no touch, no pen, not even an usb-otg attached keyboard. I can't even activate the bios menu (I don't know the keystroke on the usb keyboard).
    Is there something I could try before RMAing (again...).

Regards,

6. vvilmos

vvilmos Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I have created a "recovery drive" on a flash drive (actually on a micro SD inserted in a reader).
    Everything went OK. I tested it on a desktop system: the menues appear and are functional.

The problem is that if I boot the recovery drive on the tablet, when the first screen appears
    (asking for the desired language) I cannot select anything.
    The touch seems to be dead and the keys (Vol +/-, Windows) are not responding.

Do you have any idea why?
    (I have the "209" bios firmware, and no other Asus drivers installed).

I hope that at least the Windows Reset will work if needed
    (for now I had no reason to test it).

7. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

Never mind, I inadvertently deactivated secure boot AND using a crap usb-otg cable. Ordered a good one, plugged a keyboard, hit "f2" for bios menu, activated boot menu and voila, problem solved.

thierryb likes this.
  8. lordu

lordu Pen Pal - Newbie

:D :hi2:

Another VNT8 recovered.

9. squib

squib Pen Pal - Newbie

My unit is running quite cool as well after the factory reset. Last week a couple of games were making the back of the AVN8 somewhat warm; not so any more.

I rarely put it in sleep mode, and never if I'm running multiple applications. Noticed Windows 8 does a pretty poor job of memory allocation for legacy programs, and if I'm opening/closing more than one file I'm better off restarting the program or the system because soon enough it's hovering around 90% of the 2gb used up.

Can't wait to be able to dual boot to a proper Linux on these tablets.

10. lordu

lordu Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been browsing through the windows store, seeing, if there is any app that might be useful for me.
    I haven't found a single app yet worth purchasing.

Anyone found any good ones?

- U

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.