Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squib

squib Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not completely sold on the form factor, I'd be fine with 10 inches. It's not like I can fit this into my pocket. I'd also be willing to give N-Trig a shot.

6.5 inches would be ideal(where's my wacom Windows PC phone??)

2. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I forgot my tablet today! I left it laying on the kitchen table... I miss it... (even though I am at work, sitting behind a PC, etc). No way I could miss my little tablet that could if the pen would really stop working...

Bronsky likes this.
  3. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Withdrawl symptoms already, you are hooked...
    :)

4. lordu

lordu Pen Pal - Newbie

I havent got a chance to play with these but they were on the top list to buy for me if I didn't get the VNT8.

Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Note 2014 edition

I drew with it for a few hours. The pen was responsive and for the most part the tip was almost exactly spot on where I went. Pressure sensitive, I was happy with that. The software on the windows 8 tablet though is what pulled me over from buying this and this was a cheaper device. I dont know about any problems with this device so id probably research it first (like any product)

Surface Pro 1

The price certainly has come down cheaper for this device. Under $500 for refurb. If anything happens to my VNT8 after blowing through warranties, Ill probably come grab this one.
    But when I went to the microsoft store, they didnt carry them. I also asked if I could order one online and pick up at their store, but they said they couldnt do that.

- U

5. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There seems to be a big difference to me
    between the 8" Asus & the 10" Surface Pro
    in portability.

My Surface PRo very rarely leaves with me,
    as the Asus goes most everywhere. It is small
    enough I do not think about where to put it.

Mesosphere(i think) posted a photo how he uses
    his as a 'companion' device to his work computer.

But everyone has different uses & needs.

6. ronr9286t

ronr9286t Scribbler - Standard Member

My VivoTab Note 8 just became useful!

I got my 32GB Note when they first became available (in February, if I remember correctly) in the MS B&M store near me. I couldn't wait for the 64GB model (my gadget sickness).

I've had zero/none of the quality problems expressed in this thread. Pen works great!

My main use for the device was inking in OneNote. I use that for taking notes in projects. I loved the form-factor (my last several computers were convertible tablets from the Fujitsu Outlet) for the light weight and Wacom.

One problem, and it had me cursing Microsoft for their arrogance and short-sightedness. Here you have a portable device, and as such, there are going to be many times when you are not connected to the web. The version of OneNote that comes installed will not allow you to create a notebook on the local drive. It could only be created in the cloud (or at least that is all the techs at the MS store could discover). A notebook could not be save locally. The device was worthless as a productivity tool, and as a consumption device was not as good as my Galaxy Note 8.

I happened to be in a mall with an MS store down the road from my local MS store, and I was chatting with one of the tech. I had the thought that the difficulty may be with the version of installed OneNote, and asked if perhaps an earlier version installed as an app might work the good old way.

I had an unused instance of OneNote 2007, and I installed it. Voila! It works as desired, and my little Note is now the productivity tool that I had hoped for.

I still find Windows 8.1 awkward and poorly designed (chiefly the integration of OneDrive into the operating system rather than a standalone app, and the obsession of Microsoft with always defaulting to the cloud). It took several hard-to-identify steps to be able to save any files on my main laptop (Sony Pro 11) directly to the hard drive without waiting for the file to save directly to the cloud. The way One Drive works in Windows 7 is ideal for my working style.

Anyway, rant completed. I'm loving my little VivoTab Note.

And by the way, reaching back into the past to my course work in Epidemiology and Biostatistics, the failure rates quoted earlier in this thread are probably not valid. The sample is extremely biased, and the only valid assessment would be to get a sample of the entire universe of the devices sold and the number with reported problems.

Ron

7. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, for me there's also a huge difference between an 8" and a 10". I think it depends on what you want to do with it and most importantly, where you want to use it.

If I had to chose between the Samsung Notes, for instance, I'd pick the Note 3 and not the Note 10. (or rather, I'd pick both, but that's the gadget lover in me speaking :p)

That's weird, as my OneNote notes are also available when I'm offline... (and I mean the ones I make with the Modern UI app, I don't really use the desktop version which is also installed).

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  8. squib

squib Pen Pal - Newbie

It's the opposite for me. It's just large enough that I want to tote it around in a messenger bag or hold it like a larger tablet. I've been more than comfortable carrying around the 3lb LE1600 for years so a Surface Pro ain't no thang.

I tested my winter coat pockets, cargo shorts and everything. :(

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  9. ronr9286t

ronr9286t Scribbler - Standard Member

The techs at the MS store and I tried everything and we could not create a new note and save it locally. I was able to access my older notes offline.

Ron

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Seems there is an "upgrade" in the pipeline.
    Now with White back plate.

When it appears as a search result it says "with built-in TV tuner" but the spec page doesn't mention it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.