Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordu

lordu Pen Pal - Newbie

When I use this tablet, instead of thinking just one operating system, I think two. there is the metro OS, and there is the desktop OS.

When I stay on the metro side, with the start screen and tiles, for faster browsing and such, I stick to the app based tile applications. Surprising I like the tile system, but only when launching apps on the tile setup.

Desktop OS is the standard win 7 feel. I go here for programs not available from the windows app store. Which is most of my drawing programs. Windows app store doesn't have many good drawing apps.

- U

2. lordu

lordu Pen Pal - Newbie

I figure I'll post here with a review of the Joto Anti Glare Screen Protector for our Vivo Note Tab 8.

71M8xh5HMSL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm pretty happy with this. Its not an exact fit length wise. There is about a 1mm gap on the long side of the screen. The width is pretty good though almost exact to the edge.
    For the month I had this without the protector, Id notice that dust, skin flakes, and oil on your hand would easily stay on the screen. This protector seems to repel them pretty well.

I picked up the matte because other posts said that it makes it easier to draw and gave that paper feel, so I jumped on that. There is a difference drawing on this versus drawing on the glass.
    Its less slippery. Its does not feel like paper and it does not feel like glass when I draw on it. Its different, cant really explain it much more than that. Out of words.

Oh, and this matte version ( I havent bought the other types) works pretty good for anti glare. It dulls out the look some coming from the screen. Reflections from a light bulb are less too. I like it better than having it naked. There is less glare over all.

I do have a recommendation though if you buy this. I have a one or two pin hole air bubbles under the protector, probably because I didnt use the applicator while laying down the protector on the screen. I recommend that as you lay down the protection, you should remove bubbles at the same time as you lay it down. It would probably work out better. Right hand to lay down protector, left hand to smooth out the bubbles at the same time. Be helpful to have a non-skid table so that the tablet doesnt wiggle around while your applying it.

Still, I just have 1 or 2 pinhole air bubbles. Its not a big deal to me. 99.92% of my screen is air bubble free. Not bad for losing my screen protecting virginity.

Its one of the cheaper screen protectors out on the market, so thats why I bought it. And overall, I am happy. This tablet rocks and I thought Id just post this to break up the posting of my pen stopped working, lol. :D

- U

3. NK0d3R

NK0d3R Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,
    I installed the Wacom Feel drivers but I don't like the fact that the sampling points for the calibration are too far from the edge (and too few). Now accuracy near the edges is really bad. Is there any way to calibrate the digitizer with more than 4 sampling points while having the Wacom Feel drivers installed ?

[EDIT] Also, I'm not sure if it's connected, but lately it seems that, during sleep, the battery drains just like using it normally. I do not recall installing anything but the Feel driver lately. Have you guys ever experienced this ?

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  4. lordu

lordu Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't seen anything that has more than 4 sampling points. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Vampire energy drain? Brrr... No answers here either. My take is to check to see your power management settings to see if anything is set to sleep. Maybe a change in power settings for any onboard devices, maybe?

- U

5. fantomas

fantomas Pen Pal - Newbie

There is a way of doing more calibration points in the Tips & tricks thread. Not sure how well/if it works with the Wacom feel drivers

6. chrismariusb

chrismariusb Pen Pal - Newbie

I am pondering buying a Note 8, but this thread is scaring me a bit. All told, would you all recommend buying one in spite of the numerous issues? I really use my tablets for note taking in class with One Note and occasional Photoshop drawing.

7. edaniels

edaniels Scribbler - Standard Member

pretty sure if you checked every forum for every brand and model.... there are always going to be some people experiencing problems. make sure you have a solid exchange option.....minimize your risk..and see first hand....if this unit is for you....

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

8. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

When I bought my Note in February, the first thing I ordered was a matte screen protector. I do that for every handheld device with a screen. I just can't stand to use a device with a glossy screen. First, the glare is horrible and second, I simply don't like the touch, and third, I'd like to keep my screen undamaged as long as possible. As you also noticed, if you have a good screen protector, the screen is less slippery, and I think works better with the pen.

Another tip when applying a protector: keep some tape nearby. If there's some lint (dust, microscopic particle) between the screen and protector, never ever try to remove it with your fingers. But take a bit of tape, loop it around in a circle (make a ring of it, or use two-sided tape), stick it to the top of your finger and use that to remove the particle. You won't leave fingerprints or fatty residue on your screen (however well you might have washed your hands, there will always be some dust/fat particles on your finger).

And if you only have 1 or 2 pinhole air bubbles after your first try, I think you did rather well!

9. NK0d3R

NK0d3R Pen Pal - Newbie

I removed the Wacom Feel drivers (didn't actually need them, I don't use Photoshop and being able to properly calibrate the pen just seems more important to me) and now battery drain during sleep has returned to normal. There might be several causes : maybe installing the driver somehow removed the 'Allow Windows to turn off this device' check box, maybe this driver doesn't allow Windows to turn it off or maybe it was one of the other things I installed/uninstalled (uninstalled the Asus Cloud storage thing, updated Bluetooth driver, updated Audio driver). My money's on the Feel drivers.

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Signed, sealed and delivered, well it will be a few days before it's delivered. Shall be interesting to see what Asus Japan does with it, at least they wanted me to ship it collect.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.