Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree, another one is about to bite the dust
    KABOOM!

2. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

That's a bit scary...I love TouchMe

3. zh221

zh221 Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried to connect this note 8 tablet /Windows 8.1 Update to Hitachi wifi projectors using LiveViewer 6.21?
    It’s frustrating, the projector can be detected but failed to connect.
    LiveViewer 6.21 can connect my Lenovo Z400 laptop /Windows 8.1 update to the same projector(s) with no problem at all.
    Any workaround ?

4. justpick1

justpick1 Pen Pal - Newbie

As of 05/05 - I'm the proud, paranoid owner of an Amazon February build AVN8 :hi2:

I have disabled automatic Windows Updates; I have an Ativ 500t that I will use to do side by side comparisons before installing. One thing struck me though, Update History shows Hotfix KB 2906972 installed 28/02 (How/by whom was this update installed? Is this effectively a March build?) I could not find anything online about what this addresses (perhaps it relates to Asus as it does not show up in installed or available updates on the Ativ).

Anyway, checked out Device Manager and everything is in order (praying that it stays that way - no hope of returns as I'm using outside the US)

Bronsky likes this.
  5. lordu

lordu Pen Pal - Newbie

grats on your new tablet! I'm enjoying it immensly. Its a great device to draw with. Although, it you read enough posts here on the forums, it might depress you since many regulars are reporting a high failure rate. So far mine is great, lol.

- U

6. justpick1

justpick1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't even claim that I did not know - I've read every page of the VTN8 threads and the Venue Pro threads before that. Possibility of failures aside, (par for the course with first generation devices) I'm still awestruck by so much capability in a <1lb 8-inch device!

7. thatdude90210

thatdude90210 Pen Pal - Newbie

I know some people are paranoid about the Windows update breaking the digitizer. It's not the updates. I'm on my second AVN8, I did all the updates on both, one had pen issues, the other doesn't.

It's a hardware issue. That's why people getting RMA's back now are reporting parts getting replaced.

Most of the Windows update are for the dictionary anyway.

8. lordu

lordu Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't believe it is the updates either. I believe some of the digitizer issues (note that i didnt say all, lol) is the process of updating. That in turn leads to some people believing that the digitizer is going bonkers. I suspect that once the cpu loads goes high from the updating, example that the cpu load hits 100%, the digitizer thread goes below on the priority list than say the windows update thread.

The computer has to decide which is more important, update or a working digitizer. Windows for all of its intelligence says, updating is more important. So hence the digitizer goes lower in the thread list. So when that happens, it seems like the pen stops working. Once the update is complete, windows puts back the digitizer thread on the higher priority list, and it works again.

It very well possibly be that a lot of people also installed a lot of bloatware that eats lots of memory and its hard to tell from the standard user perspective.

- U

9. alexb2611

alexb2611 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, I don't think so. When testing out various games from my Steam library to see what the tablet can do (and it's surprisingly capable), I've encountered low memory situations plenty of times and the digitizer has never become unresponsive. When it did stop it was a device failure plain and simple, shown by an error in Device Manager.

I agree about it not being updates too though. I installed all updates and one unit failed, the other has been fine since late March.

10. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I never installed any updates and mine failed...
    there goes that theory and many others.

At first I thought it was software related
    & stuburnly used more & more complex
    "fixes" to keep it running, until it
    finally quit.

Once the digitizer fails the first time,
    the ASUS AUTO-SELF DESTRUCT mode is started,
    no matter what you do to remedy it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.