Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Walmart is going to carry the Asus Vivotab Note 8
    starting(appx) on Friday, April 25 according to the
    Electronics Manager at the local store.

64GB for $379

Convenient for those who do not have large electronics stores
    near them.

I wonder if the pen problems have been remedied in their models?

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I've been watching the Lounge and Reviews threads, and I have to say it is sad to see the build quality and driver issues with the one device I thought could lead us out of the tunnel. Like many of you here, I have turned my back (again) on an all-in-one solution because of all the compromises (plus my love for the BEAST). So I've gone back to old school and snagged a refurb ThinkPad Tablet 2 until someone comes up with a solidly built, pen quality device of our dreams (please please please put a pen silo in the Surface mini - pretty please). Yes, it did cost as much as a new Asus VivoTab Note 8, but I'll bet my paycheck that even the refurb TPT2 will outlast the 30 day breakdown history of the AVN8.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/lenovo-ibm/62123-thinkpad-tablet-2-best-bet-right-now.html#post388607

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Dave47

Dave47 Pen Pal - Newbie

Amazon (US) has the 64GB model selling for $349. Free shipping too.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

37 days and counting on my second go-round. I really like my M80TA. I haven't been carrying a back up legal pad for notes lately and I've migrated all time keeping onto the tablet.

I can use the Slate 500 keyboard in a pinch but I think the M80TA is powerful enough to set up a small monitor/kb/mouse station at home for serious work on the weekend. I'm waiting for a power/data splitter to come to market.

Shame that reliability is luck of the draw, but c'est la vie. I really don't see the Surface Mini as the solution I'm looking for, if it's not Bay Trail.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

On that note, with a powered hub you can drive an external USB screen as well, that actually makes it a fully functional computer.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

6. edaniels

edaniels Scribbler - Standard Member

im checking this option... seems like a solid alternative

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

7. Cirano994

Cirano994 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi.

I sign up at this site because i would buy a 8.1 Tablet PC and so i'm here for the AVTN8.

Well, I was almost convinced to buy the AVTN8 32GB, but then I see this forum and especially the thread "Vivotab Note 8 pen stopped working" and... :(

So what is the failure rate? 50%? 90%? I've read all the posts and almost everybody have problems. :confused:

The other tablet i considered was the Dell Venue 8 Pro but, you know, issues with the stylus are nearly the same (or even worse :mad:). :(

(sorry for pretty bad english :D)

Thanks.

8. dstrauss

Glad to see it is holding up. No doubt the 8" form factor (plus 16:10) would be handier than 10" and slow old Clover Trail. Why won't the OEM's let US design a perfect tablet for them? :rolleyes:

'Cuzz - we really are a very small band of warriors way out of the midstream - I think I've finally taken that to heart; and I'm WAY TOO HARD to please...;)

It is, but fair warning, a Clover Trail processor will never hold up to a Bay Trail in a foot race - you need to be sure it has the horsepower you need - for Office 2013, Adobe Acrobat, surfing, email, Artrage, it's plenty good, but you won't be opening 20 windows at one time..:eek:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  9. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

I could not disagree more....with respect.

I have a Samsung 500t that uses the same processor as the TPT2...I can barely stand to use my 500t...the delays are so noticeable and annoying.

I only use my 500t when my daughter has command of the AVN8.

Of course...I have not had any build qual problems...so....there's that.

10. dstrauss

That's why they call them Personal Computers; it's all about what works best for you. I would add, however, that I started this whole adventure several years ago with the Samsung 500t, and compared to my TPT2, it was a dog slow experience - and I could never get the keyboard dock to work without constantly disconnecting.

sudermatt likes this.