Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ineffableMF

ineffableMF Pen Pal - Newbie

I am happy with mine. I wish they would compensate for the distortion in the digitizer caused by the speaker magnets a little better, but I have not had wifi, digitizer quitting, overheating, or any other egregious problems. Just commented this and passed my 30 days return window though, so I'm probably due for some :)

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  2. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

I've had two now. The first one had kind of an uneven yellowish screen. The one I have now is rather better, which surprised me bit.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Glad to hear your success, but don't forget...

knockOnWood.jpg

lovelaptops, ineffableMF and Dave47 like this.
  4. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Good luck with the unit, it's heartening to hear that there are some who haven't had any issues, though it does seem like a disproportionate amount of people have had a bunch of problems (even discounting people who signed up to post specifically about the problems). I should probably have phrased my question 'are there any owners who've had the tablet more that thirty days without issues' though, but thanks for everyone's input! I'm torn between taking the plunge on the vivotab and holding out for a potential surface mini.

5. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Edit:
    Sorry I replied to the wrong thread.

For me, the Asus is very small & handy for easy
    transport witout even thinking about
    lugging it around.

The Wacom pen(when it works) is a joy
    to write with.

I would think Asus will get this problem ironed out.

My unit has been out for repair for about 2 weeks. It did not start acting up
    for over 30 days from purchase. At 42 days I
    sent it in for repair as it degraded into
    non-functional.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  6. qualton

qualton Pen Pal - Newbie

My experience has been the same. I am happy with mine (which I got from a brick-and-mortar Microsoft store a month ago)

No wifi or heat issues. However, like most, I also have the annoyance of digitizer distortion near the speakers which is worse when the pen is tilted... but when the pen is perpendicular (straight up and down) the issue is greatly reduced (using stock pen -- haven't had the luxury of trying higher grade wacom pens with mine yet). It doesn't really effect my usage as generally the only thing that close to the edge are tool palettes, etc... if you really need to write something on the edge, you should probably be panning to center-up your view anyway.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but Visio Pro with the pen is excellent for freehand diagrams. I wish OneNote would adopt some of its "Ink Tools" features (auto grouping strokes as shapes which are later movable, resizable, etc). But anyway, Visio has toolbars along the speaker edges in landscape and I don't have any issue using them with the pen. Same with Adobe tool palettes. The pen is easily accurate enough at the edges to quickly select tools, etc but can pull the stroke off path (to the edge) if producing strokes there. Since it is the speakers, the pull is greatest in the center near the ASUS logo and the camera -- see picture (which as drawn with a straight edge down the side in OneNote)

[​IMG]

7. Dave47

Dave47 Pen Pal - Newbie

Not an owner (yet) but could I ask those who had Update 1 of 8.1 installed if they "noticed" anything. Like "seems faster" "seems slower", etc.

I read somewhere that this update has a smaller footprint to ease the crowding on low capacity devices. Wonder if that meant memory footprint, storage or both. Anyone here notice that difference?

TIA

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The Smaller Footprint would only apply if you were to do a fresh install or on a new tablet, BTW - the smaller footprint is a deployment that is very different than traditional deployments, the smaller footprint is achieved by running Windows 8.1/RT Update 1 through the .WIM file (Windows Image File) which is a highly compressed file format, this allows Windows 8.1/RT Update 1 to be installed on tablets that have 16GB Drives...

Dave47 likes this.
  9. Dave47

Dave47 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.

So Microsoft's definition of small is < or = 16GB? Or could it apply to larger (but not too large) capacity devices? Just curious.

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Well back when I made .WIM files for a living doing Enterprise Deployment Projects we could achieve 4GB .wim file for a 20GB final Image...

If you want to do the work you can make it happen on any machine, but you'll need an ISO of Windows 8.1 Update 1 (Full OS) like the ones from MSDN Subscriber benefits and the Windows Automated Deployment Kit (ADK)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn247001.aspx

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.