Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Right on! PM me if you want me to provide you with a zipped root folder of my Retroarch installation that you can tweak and add your own content to.

2. djas

djas Graffiti User

Loving this little fella running 1903:

AVTN8.259819_compress1.jpg

3. justpick1

justpick1 Pen Pal - Newbie

She's back!!! :D So today, after countless days of wondering how on earth people get by using tablets without writing with a stylus, I checked Windows update, reinstalled the SOC package and restarted (an almost daily routine since pen input died).

I noticed the ISD_DualTouch_7.3.4-47 installer just before the system shut down to restart and figured I would give that a try and reinstall it too - yet again!

Lo and behold, pen input is working! The siloed pen is still crap, but it was what I had on hand since I abandoned carrying my S-pen.

The 10-pin cables are on their way from Amazon (delayed due to Customs), so I will have those on hand if ever I need them :D

Ah 1903...how I misjudged thee!

HJK, djas and Kumabjorn like this.
  4. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been sitting on several pieces of a VTN8 that I could combine together to make one working model for a few months now. I haven't gotten around to it b/c I kinda doubted one could do much with Windows 10 on an Atom chip with 2gb ram. Seeing how many people are still rocking this classic, I think it's time I cobble mine back together.

5. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

All Asus vivotab note 8 devices come with a Windows 8 license out of the box so installing Windows 10 is not necessary. And trust me, a tablet that size is much more usable in Windows 8, and it's much lighter and more stable than W10. Especially now that MS is crippling tablet mode on W10 even more with its newest update.

6. solitaire01

Hi all,

It's finality time for me to retire my 64gb Vivotab. It's in perfect shape with a screen protector its entire life, no stylus issues, great battery life, extra cases and stylus, fully updated Windows Pro...but can't run 64-bit Lightroom so only serving as my portable emulation machine.

Any recommendations on a fair market price? I'll likely throw it up on eBay but there aren't any listings at they moment that would give me a clue of value.

Cheers,
    Doug

7. djas

djas Graffiti User

Yes! After all these years, the battery life still surprises me.

A pity you're retiring it. Have you entertain the idea of repurposing it as a 2nd screen?

8. solitaire01

Oh how I wish it could charge and provide an HDMI output simultaneously - I'd have a thousand more uses for it. Though it is currently an awesome emulation machine and if I don't find a buyer it's likely to stay that for the next ten years. :)

djas likes this.