Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. wytn

wytn Pen Pal - Newbie

I just remembered... I don't think i ever posted about this

but i didn't continue further tests / tweaks for the system, customized UI, onscreen keyboard and so on..

Attached Files:

2. justpick1

justpick1 Pen Pal - Newbie

/ Cue "Taps" / Looks like my pen input died after the last round of Win10 1903 updates. I think I was the last of the original digitizers left. Bought in 2014 and never changed the flex cable!
    I would reinstall the Soc package after each upgrade (I think this started after 1703) and the pen would always come back. Then about a week ago, nothing after a reinstall (or 2 or 3) :( I even reinstalled the Wacom drivers - nada.

3. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

My original is still going strong. It's currently my roaming emulation machine. :)

[​IMG][​IMG]

hiramkey and djas like this.
  4. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

My touch cable self destructed last year, but it's just recently that I found compatible cable for it locally (otherwise I would have to import). The cable is 10mm long though, I added some padding at the fold, hopefully it won't self destruct again. My pen cable going off from time to time, but the only available cable locally is 150 mm, so I might as well wait until it die for sure then change :p

5. justpick1

So jealous! Are you on the latest Win 10 1903 update? Based on the time, I think mine failed after KB4512508. Interestingly, there was one failed install before it successfully completed. According to the Msft support site -
    Highlights: Updates to improve security when using Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Bluetooth, networking technologies, and input devices such as a mouse, keyboard or stylus. (emphasis mine) :(

6. justpick1

Where are you purchasing from? do they do online sales? can you provide a link?

can you tell I'm desperate - LOL!

7. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Uhm I live in Vietnam and bought from local shops so my source might not be useful for you.
    You could look up google
    Touch cable: FFC cable 0.5mm pitch 10 pin type B
    Pen cable: FFC cable 0.5mm pitch 8 pin type B

For example here is an Amazon link of cable that should works as pen cable (it's 150mm long though so folding could be a problem): https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Flexi...rds=ffc+8+pin&qid=1566495220&s=gateway&sr=8-2

You could try looking for something of a more compatible length

alaskajoel likes this.
  8. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep! All up to date. I feel very fortunate. :) The old beast runs Retroarch very well, only failing to run Dreamcast and PSX games.

9. justpick1

Thanks! looking into the link now - hopefully this will work to give me some more use out of the tablet.

10. the_whiterabbit

the_whiterabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

To follow up on the new BIOS bricking my AVTN8, I let the battery completely die (not easy to do when the only thing you can see is the power light turning on or blinking when you press/hold it) and recharged it, my old 32gb Asus Vivotab Note 8 has *almost* come back to life. When I try to turn it on, the camera light turns on, the Asus splash screen comes up, aaaand then it shuts off. :(

However, I had been stalking ebay and bidding here and there when I saw a Vivotab Note 8...a cell phone store posted 3, so I put low bids in on all 3, assuming I might get one. I won all 3. 2 32gbs (one on 8.1, one on 10) and a 64gb one (on 10)! So I'm going to start experimenting with them! It seems the 64gb may need a new pen digitizer cable (the stylus will randomly stop working and start working again after some fiddling), but the other two are still going strong.

I guess I'll see about turning one into an emulation/steam streaming tablet, use one as a nightstand tablet, and carry the 64gb one with me (once I fix the pen digitizer cable).