Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

ooh, nice! haha, yeah, I still have a spare battery I've been putting off installing. Hope it hasn't died from disuse... how much was the digitizer? My m80ta isn't getting much use but there are times where it really still comes in useful due to the lightweight and full windows.

2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Very true, but for those with an O365 subscription it does become a viable replacement for office related work. But if you're into the artist realm it is a different story. I wonder how it will work with the new Bubbles multi-window setup.

4. djas

djas Graffiti User

20190605_124533_compress91.jpg

Sister gifted me her old device. Still running original Win 8.1 image. Am thinking of using it as a digital ON notetaker and media entertainment.

Wacom works great with the Note 9 Spen.

the_whiterabbit and Kumabjorn like this.
  5. the_whiterabbit

the_whiterabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

So I noticed there was a new BIOS image out last month, and today I decided to install it--it's supposed to help mitigate the latest Intel security vulnerabilities.

Aaaand it's bricked. :(

The only light that turns on is the power light when it's plugged in. Held down the power button for over a minute--nothing. Held down power + volume up for over a minute--nothing. Held down power + volume down for over a minute--nothing.

My last hope is to let it sit unplugged until the battery dies, then plug it back in and see if I get anywhere--that worked once before when it seemed bricked.

I was like, "ok, I'll just go buy a replacement for $100 on ebay" but nope--one is listed for almost $300, and one for $85 + shipping--but has a crack below the screen (on the bezel), and I just don't want to pay that much for a not-pristine 5-year old tablet that only cost me $200 when I bought it new.

I wish there was a good 8" windows tablet that supports handwriting out there. :(

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Mine keeps going right back to sleep if you do ANYTHING after coming out of sleep/booting.

The dream is now over...

7. Yoyo

Yoyo Scribbler - Standard Member

Both of mine still run, though the one that lived on my person its whole life now has a battery life that isn't useful at all.

I finally gave up and bought an iPad mini and a pencil. So far it is decinitely more a step forward than back, though lack of file system access really sucks. Waiting for iPad OS to become real.

For just over 5 years the Asus lived in my pocket, went nearly everywhere with me. I got my money's worth, and wished the whole way through there were good replacements available.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. djas

djas Graffiti User

Loving this. As a pure tablet, W8.1 is a joy to use. This + Surface (Wacom) Pen = Moleskine replacement.
    Only one issue: Whenever it goes to sleep, it lost touch. Digitiser still works. Gotta restart to get touch back. Weird.

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Have you tried reinstalling the SOC driver?

10. djas

djas Graffiti User

Will try that and report back.

As a former GTA8 user, the portability of the AVN8 is superb. Was using it on my weekly plane ride back to Tokyo, leaving the Surface 3 in my office.

Not going to Win10.