Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. djas

djas Graffiti User

20190605_124533_compress91.jpg

Sister gifted me her old device. Still running original Win 8.1 image. Am thinking of using it as a digital ON notetaker and media entertainment.

Wacom works great with the Note 9 Spen.

the_whiterabbit and Kumabjorn like this.
  2. the_whiterabbit

the_whiterabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

So I noticed there was a new BIOS image out last month, and today I decided to install it--it's supposed to help mitigate the latest Intel security vulnerabilities.

Aaaand it's bricked. :(

The only light that turns on is the power light when it's plugged in. Held down the power button for over a minute--nothing. Held down power + volume up for over a minute--nothing. Held down power + volume down for over a minute--nothing.

My last hope is to let it sit unplugged until the battery dies, then plug it back in and see if I get anywhere--that worked once before when it seemed bricked.

I was like, "ok, I'll just go buy a replacement for $100 on ebay" but nope--one is listed for almost $300, and one for $85 + shipping--but has a crack below the screen (on the bezel), and I just don't want to pay that much for a not-pristine 5-year old tablet that only cost me $200 when I bought it new.

I wish there was a good 8" windows tablet that supports handwriting out there. :(

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Mine keeps going right back to sleep if you do ANYTHING after coming out of sleep/booting.

The dream is now over...

4. Yoyo

Yoyo Scribbler - Standard Member

Both of mine still run, though the one that lived on my person its whole life now has a battery life that isn't useful at all.

I finally gave up and bought an iPad mini and a pencil. So far it is decinitely more a step forward than back, though lack of file system access really sucks. Waiting for iPad OS to become real.

For just over 5 years the Asus lived in my pocket, went nearly everywhere with me. I got my money's worth, and wished the whole way through there were good replacements available.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. djas

djas Graffiti User

Loving this. As a pure tablet, W8.1 is a joy to use. This + Surface (Wacom) Pen = Moleskine replacement.
    Only one issue: Whenever it goes to sleep, it lost touch. Digitiser still works. Gotta restart to get touch back. Weird.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Have you tried reinstalling the SOC driver?

7. djas

djas Graffiti User

Will try that and report back.

As a former GTA8 user, the portability of the AVN8 is superb. Was using it on my weekly plane ride back to Tokyo, leaving the Surface 3 in my office.

Not going to Win10.

8. wytn

wytn Scribbler - Standard Member

I just remembered... I don't think i ever posted about this

but i didn't continue further tests / tweaks for the system, customized UI, onscreen keyboard and so on..

Attached Files:

9. justpick1

justpick1 Pen Pal - Newbie

/ Cue "Taps" / Looks like my pen input died after the last round of Win10 1903 updates. I think I was the last of the original digitizers left. Bought in 2014 and never changed the flex cable!
    I would reinstall the Soc package after each upgrade (I think this started after 1703) and the pen would always come back. Then about a week ago, nothing after a reinstall (or 2 or 3) :( I even reinstalled the Wacom drivers - nada.

10. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

My original is still going strong. It's currently my roaming emulation machine. :)

[​IMG][​IMG]

hiramkey and djas like this.