Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Some updates. Restore didn't work. Next step was restore. Didn't work. Then restore from external device. I have a bunch of USB sticks that I create when starting a new machine. I had some order in them, such as size responding to storage on the device. So the ASUS having the least storage is on one of the smallest USB sticks, but Windows is so big that I have made new ones on a bunch of 8 GB sticks. Dumb move, I know. I should probably have put them in envelopes writing down the device name.
    Did get one to be recognized. It started, seemed to work fine and then I got a DOS message box saying "Secure Boot Violation" and then "Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup" and then an Ok button. But touch isn't available so tapping it is useless, and I discovered that I no longer have a USB keyboard. All BT these days.

2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

this is why I keep one usb mouse and keyboard

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I do have a USB mouse, maybe I can try and connect that. See if I can click on the ok button with that.

4. wytn

wytn Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently had to go through a full reinstall of the Note 8 and i can relate...

My case didn't seem so bad i guess, but i hadn't used it a (looong) while because... because... i was locked out of my MS account (even tho the password worked everywhere else and i resetted it, changed it, didn't work - and i usually avoid MS accounts! No more exceptions now ugh). Having a pin on it i could still log in and i could make another user, then disable BitLocker, and i tried a reset/full reset and then it got stuck in a "repair" boot loop of hell, took me a while to try many things without success.

My old USB OTG data+power didn't work anymore so that was annoying for BIOS+booting usb flashdrives etc.
    My ASUS micro SD Card that came with it for restauration didn't work at all, nothing. Nor with a USB-SD reader adapter... I don't remember many other troubles i had but i could in the end reintall a Win 8 32bit. - i wanted a 64 bit for some softwares but ughh... i know the UEFI on this is 32bit whereas the CPU is 64 but didn't want more troubles as a Win 64bit can't be intalled with 32bit UEFI without tweaks from what i recall. (I remember a modified ISO floating around at some point, and many questions i saw on ASUS support forums.)

later after reinstalling all the drivers, i gave up for something stupid/silly, as the auto-rotate didn't work, i thought the sensors might be dead. Turned out the installer of the driver/calibration thing didn't work at all (which i thought was the case before but...) - I didn't realize at first i still had the driver file i could install manually.

i still have one remaining unrecognized device without driver. Now autorotate works. So far the calibration by default and the one i tried to make..... is quite terrible. Or it's just that i forgot how it was initially.. and it's only awfull parallax?

Anyway...

And for the poster above, i had too, to juggle with the volume & other physical buttons (to navigate bios and disable fast/secure boot/etc - it's very awkward and one bios option gets you stuck without being able to go back with only having the hardware buttons, you need to hard reboot it) so/and sometimes i used keyboard & mouse because of that but also for navigating the restore/cmd lines of the Win flashdrives... (Among misc things i tried was solving bootloader problems.. can't remember the name of this thing. I haven't been really a Windows users in many many years)

In the end... Super annoying. And for now i don't know what is this mystery unrecognized device...

5. veekay

veekay Pen Pal - Newbie

Pulled out my machine after not touching it for over a year and updated to the latest Windows 10. Tweaking settings and such and noticed the SD card speed is horrible - I'm talking 22.68 read speed on a very fast card that I get 90mb with on my normal laptop.

Is this just related to the fact that the Vivotab is "slow" or could there be another issue? The dinky 32gb "SSD" still gets 100mb read.

6. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, is there a stylus for this "old" EMR tablet with soft nib like all recent Samsung tablets? I got a Samsung tab A 2016 with s-pen and whenever I revert to the AVN8, I feel the stylus hard nib far too clumsy and noisy, both with the included needle-stylus and a Wacom UP-817E.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The aftermarket SPens you can get for the Asus have interchangeable tips. You can get close but the new tips are incredible and you won't be able to match.

8. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

As a side note, with the latest spring Creator's update, battery runtimes on standby are now stellar. Finally...

fishdavis likes this.
  9. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

if the 817 takes standard sized wacom nibs then the felt (grey or black but named felt) and ‘soft’ nibs (black with a white tip) don’t have the clicky plastic feel especially as they wear in a bit.