Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

HJK likes this.
  2. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

For what it's worth, of my three Atom devices my little Vivotab Note 8, which is supposed to have the weakest processor, runs by far the most smoothly, not to mention getting the best battery life. My theory is that it's because it is running on 32 bit Windows 10, so I'm thinking about trying to install 32 bit on one or both of my other Atom devices. But in any event, for whatever reason, my AVTN8 is running circles around the others and is still a snappy little device.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Did you ever end up dual booting the Vivotab with Remix or something like it? I'm considering trying Remix on a Baytrail tablet and I'm wondering if it will work. The Remix website recommends 2ghz processor, and there's not way any Atom processor can even approach 2 ghz. I'm curious, though.

4. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried dual booting Android x86 a while ago but I could never get it to boot. I can't remember any of the details at this point. Sorry.

HJK likes this.
  5. ToniCipriani

I would assume the Z3770 is also affected by the Spectre and Meltdown. I wonder if this would finally make our tablets unusuable...

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It did mine. Completely bricked, won't even turn on.

7. ToniCipriani

I don't think that's the cause since the actual fix isn't even out yet.

It needs a Windows patch and a CPU microcode update (i.e. BIOS). Only some browsers have been updated to mitigate.

But now come to think about it... fat chance Asus will give us a BIOS update.

8. Kumabjorn

All I know is that not even the camera lamp lights up, the first indication that it is receiving a current.

9. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And what about the led of the on/off button when you want to charge ? White ? Orange ? Or no light ?

Kumabjorn likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

I just connected the charger and there was a faint light, perhaps orange, hard to judge. Then it says prepare to repair and now it wants my BitLock key, never locked it down (I think) but now it is actually installing itself again. I tried to bypass the BitLock twice I guess that shut it down for 24 hours or something.