Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

2. HJK

To repeat my question from above, I'm reposting this from another thread:
    So, I purchased a broken 64gb via Ebay. I have digitizers from digikey that I'm hoping will bring the dead touchscreen back to life.
    So I'm wondering what anyone knows about the various Win 10 keys you can find on Ebay for anywhere from $10-$30. I hate to pay $100 to put Win 10 on a tablet I payed $65 for. Do these things work, or are they a scam? Can you continue to get Win 10 updates if you use one of these keys? Also, how hard is it to do a fresh install on a AVTN8? A lot of the listings say that you have to do a fresh install of Win 10, which makes me a bit nervous.
    Here's an example:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-WIN...638024?hash=item25cc8dd888:g:8yQAAOSw-0xYbP4Y
    It's not at all reassuring that the seller doesn't know how to spell "worldwide." *sigh*
    And here's another example, where it looks as though a fresh install is not necessary:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-10-...668166?hash=item33c8c4bac6:g:M5sAAOSwA3dYXKj2
    And there are also some similar options with more established sellers.
    Let me know if any of you have any experience with this.
    Thanks!

3. HJK

Can anyone give me advice on fixing a AVTN8 on Win 8.1 that doesn’t have an auto-rotate option? Would it be fixed if I could download the Ivensense G-Sensor driver? I can’t seem to get that driver to install, and I think that’s the problem. Perhaps I’m trying to install it wrong?

The backstory: I bought a AVTN8 32GB that someone else had more or less bricked on Ebay. After many attempts from different angles, I was able to get Win 8.1 reinstalled on it and then I downloaded the SOC from Asus’ website. I still didn’t have any audio or auto rotate, so I downloaded the audio drivers, which fixed the audio problem. I tried several times to download and install the G-Sensor driver, but I could never get it to take, and I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

4. HJK

After trying and trying to get auto-rotation to work on Win 8.1 I pushed the AVTN8 32GB to Windows 10, and the auto-rotation magically appeared. Odd, but I'll take it.

5. HJK

So I’ve tried two EMR pens on my AVTN8 that have had similar issues—when I hold the pen close to the screen but a couple millimeters (or more) away from the screen, it writes as if it is touching the screen. One pen does it all the time, the other does it intermittently. Is there any way to fix this issue? One is a Lifebook pen from Ebay and the other is a generic pen supposed to be compatible with various Thinkpad EMR models from Amazon.

I’ve tried both pens with my Thinkpad 10, and they have the same problem there. It would be great if there is a way to fix this problem. If not, I hope the EBay vendor is willing to do a refund.

Thanks in advice for any advice/fixes!

6. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

Not that I'm an expert, but I'm aware of only one fixable problem w/ emr pens.

If something sticky is causing the nib to not release when not touching the screen you might see what you do. Pull the nibs and clean them of dried soda or beer or whatever.

Otherwise they are defective.

HJK likes this.
  7. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm no expert either, but with some pens, if you take the side buttons off you will see very small dials which you can turn with a razor blade or small screw driver. Turning them one way or the other can increase/decrease sensitivity. I can't give you more details than that. I did it with one a while ago. You will have to Google around a bit.

HJK likes this.
  8. HJK

How did you get the buttons off?

9. HJK

After some Googleing and nibs tinkering I've decided the pens are defective. I'm so bummed but I guess it's time to try yet a third time to get a good pen with eraser for my AVTN8.

10. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

HJK likes this.