Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You need to trick Windows into believing the sdCard is a fixed disk. Do that in Disk Management.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

2. CannibalFerox

CannibalFerox Pen Pal - Newbie

Found disk management and the sdCard but dont know how to trick windows into thinking its a fixed disk... Cant find in google a way to do it ...

3. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm curious as to how many Vivotab Note 8 users are still rockin' Windows 8?
    For context: My VTN8 is off under warranty and I'd be pleasantly surprised if they were able to fix it. So I'm wondering what I will replace it with, and I'm debating about how important it is to me to have something running Windows 10. I prefer Windows 10 on the balance, but I still miss some of the functions of Win 8.1 too.

4. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I would personally not buy anything with Windows 8 at this point. Windows 10 is getting better all the time, and Microsoft is committed to keeping windows 10 the last version of Windows, which means all windows 10 devices will get all future updates for free. Windows 8, on the other hand, Microsoft is trying to pretend that never happened and are actively trying to kill it off ASAP. So you are stuck with what you get now unless you want to pay for windows 10 update. At that point it becomes not worth the money.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Virtual desktops. Arranging your apps using virtual desktops makes Windows 10 superior on an 8"device. Admittedly, my resistance to upgrading was strong, the Asus VivoTab Note was the last device to get the upgrade, but once I realize what I could do under 10 there was no going back

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

HJK likes this.
  6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I use it very seldom but I downgraded it from 10 to 8.1 and never looked back. I prefer 8.1 on that small tablet.

HJK likes this.
  7. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

On 8.1 what do you do when you need the touch keyboard in a desktop app? Or do you not let task bar auto hide?

8. HJK

That's a good point. But, on the balance, the touch kb of Windows 8.1 is one of the things I've missed since moving my AVTN8 to Win 10. I like to use the split kb, and the split kb is horrendously tiny in Win 10, especially in portrait mode.
    On the whole, I think Win 10 is better. But it's clearly made with 10''+ devices in mind-it is no coincidence that developers stopped pushing smaller Windows devices at the same time that Win 10 came out.
    I guess, if I have to replace my AVTN8, I'll need to figure out if it's worth it to either a) pinch some pennies and get a device that still runs Win 8.1; or b) spend extra money to get something a bit more current or perhaps to purchase Win 10 and add it onto a Win 8.1 machine.
    If I do end up replacing the AVTN8, I'll let you all know what I replace it with. I'm still waiting to hear back from Square Trade.

9. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

My Asus is still running 8.1. Did my best to remove any traces of Windows 10 on it (especially during that free update period!)

But, I recently got me the Venue 8 Pro (2016 model) from Dell. It runs Windows 10 natively. I must say, I prefer 8.1 on an 8" tablet.

HJK likes this.
  10. HJK

So the guy from Square Trade just told me that I'm getting a $249 check because it will be too expensive for them to fix my AVTN8. I'm not sure what I'll do. Right now there are several Venue 11 Pros on ebay with m5y70 or m5y71 for under $300, which is a pretty amazing price. Granted, I wouldn't get my little 8 inch portable tablet form factor if I go that route. But I would get a penabled tablet (I already have 2 Dell Active styli for my Asus T300 Chi that work well, so I've got that covered) that can double as an actual desktop. Plus, the 8 inch screen was getting to be a bit too small for my old man eyes, anyway.