Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just installed a matte screen protector on this thing; it's such a better writing experience. If Asus develops a new one they should have a factory matte finish on it. Going to bring just this to school tomorrow and see how it fares instead of my Z20t.

Asus should also just scoop up a bunch of Broadwell Core M's once Skylake is out in full force and remake this with a 5Y70 and 4GB RAM. Would be a pretty killer little tablet with those specs. Hell, throw in 8GB RAM :p.

2. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

So what do I do with the unallocated space?

3. HJK

OK, so I tried to resize and move the recovery partition, and now it keeps crashing and sending me to some sort of safe recovery mode. I can't do a system refresh because I don't have a usb keyboard. Can I use the usb recovery stick that I made? If so, how? Is there a tutorial that can help me with that. I'm not a techie, and I really hope I didn't just hopelessly brick my machine.
    Thanks

4. Mr. Boosh

No idea what you did, as deleting the recovery partition and merging the unallocated space with the C: drive does absolutely nothing to cause that.

Please tell me you didn't delete any partitions at the beginning of the disk.

Yea, use the recovery media. Don't worry though, your tablet is fine and not bricked :).

HJK likes this.
  5. HJK

I told the software to resize the partition to just under 6gb, then I told it to move the partition so that the newly created "unallocated space" would be next to the C drive. Then I clicked "apply." Minitool said that it couldn't perform the actions because the drive was in use, and it gave me three options, the first of which was to restart (the second was to close everything out and click retry--I had already closed everything out; the third to cancel). I clicked restart.

I tried to restore it using an external drive, but that didn't work. I think my usb-to-micro-usb dongle conked out, because my T100 could recognize the USB drive when I plugged it in to the USB port but not when I plugged it into the micro-USB port via the dongle. So I guess I need to get a new dongle today.

If I get my AVTN8 back I don't plan to mess with minitool any further.
    Above my pay grade. I will probably just live with constantly having to micro-manage my free space for a bit longer, and then I will update to Windows 10 earlier than I had originally planned. I figure that upgrading to Win 10 and selecting the "don't revert to Windows 8.1" option should result in a smaller partition? I hope?

6. HJK

I told the software to resize the partition to just under 6gb, then I told it to move the partition so that the newly created "unallocated space" would be next to the C drive. Then I clicked "apply." Minitool said that it couldn't perform the actions because the drive was in use, and it gave me three options, the first of which was to restart (the second was to close everything out and click retry--I had already closed everything out; the third to cancel). I clicked restart.

I tried to restore it using an external drive, but that didn't work. I think my usb-to-micro-usb dongle conked out, because my T100 could recognize the USB drive when I plugged it in to the USB port but not when I plugged it into the micro-USB port via the dongle. So I guess I need to get a new dongle today.

If I get my AVTN8 back I don't plan to mess with minitool any further.
    Above my pay grade. I will probably just live with constantly having to micro-manage my free space for a bit longer, and then I will update to Windows 10 earlier than I had originally planned. I figure that upgrading to Win 10 and selecting the "don't revert to Windows 8.1" option should result in a smaller partition? I hope?

7. Mr. Boosh

I've never shrunk the recovery partition, maybe there's a check on size. If you have the recovery media I still don't see the point in keeping that partition on your disk.

Do this: download Gparted Bootable ISO. Make a bootable USB and boot to it. You'll get a similar interface to Minitool. Delete the rest of that recovery partition which will free it all to unallocated and then merge that space with C: drive.

That should do it.

fishdavis likes this.
  8. HJK

Thanks for the advice, but at this point I think I need to admit I'm in over my head and pray I can get my tablet back. Off to Office Depot to get a new micro-USB dongle!

9. Mr. Boosh

There's nothing else that can happen at this point. It would take you 15 min to do and save you the hassle of starting from scratch.

Plus you'll get the enjoyment of fixing and learning!

thierryb likes this.
  10. HJK

If I had more experience or knew someone here who could walk me through it, I might have tried that. As it is, I had to try several recovery options before I could get the thing back up and running. USB recovery did not work. And did not work again. And again. No restore points were left. I was able to finally do a complete reinstall. I'm actually pretty happy with how that turned out; I have a lot of my hard drive space back, of course. One down-side, though: I've lost Here Maps for good. It looks as though that has been discontinued.
    One more reason to move over to Win 10 sooner rather than later.

As it is, I've decided not to touch any partitions, even if it is with a ten foot pole while wearing a hazmat suit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.