Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

A full size would be too large for the casing. I bought a OTG cable and that works perfectly. It really could do with a splitter so you can charge and use the usb port at the same time.

2. narutoninjakid

narutoninjakid Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I finally ended up installing a fresh version of Windows 8.1 today. I got the usb hub and connected a mouse and keyboard. I used Rufus to make a bootable Windows 8.1 USB and booted into the UEFI Bios. I then started the windows install process. When I got into the installer there were partitions left over. I deleted all of them and made them unallocated space. I wasn’t worried about recovery.

I made sure o download all the drivers beforehand. When I finished installing windows I know had a lot more space. Before I did this I had about 10.25GB free but after the reinstall I had 16GB. I did have few minimal programs installed though. Nothing big like office or anything just the preinstalled software. SO I gained a few gigabytes and no ASUS bloat ware. Under the power menu I do not see hibernate and I didn’t see it before so not sure about the InstantGO you mentioned but if you give me some more specifics ill check it out for you. I’m going to pop in a 64GB SD Card in a few days. I discovered this great android emulator that runs android on the tablet. It’s Called Ami DuOS. You guys should check it out.

Also word of warning I spent about 1 hr 30 minutes trying to get the drivers to install. There is an order to the drivers. You should install the Intel chipset first or windows won’t recognize any of those devices not even the touchscreen. Even if you install the drivers nothing will change. I installed the Wacom drives almost 7 times and the touchscreen still wouldn’t work. Make sure you have a mouse or you won’t be able to interact with the device as touchscreen won’t work. So installing the Intel chipset driver first is a must. Other than that everything is good. Will let you guys know if anything else comes up.

3. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

Started having this weird issue lately, thinking it could be Windows Updates. I have my phone hotspot saved as a Wi-Fi profile on my VivoTab but disconnected it once to disable auto connect, but for some reason whenever I try to search for it, it's never there in the available networks unless I keep cycling the Wi-Fi on and off, or delete the profile and re-enter the key. However I can see the hotspot inside InSSIDer as strong.

Anyone seen this issue? Also I'm not sure if it's due to my Windows account also being used for Windows 10 Technical Preview, been seeing some odd behaviour on that as well, e.g. having trouble with language defaults in the Language Bar, but the TP is not running on my tablet.

4. Deathangel

Deathangel Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey guys and gals!
    Long time lurker here. I've bought the white Asus Note 8 32GB for 182€ from amazon.de WHD (64GB version costs at least 299€) and am quite pleased so far.

No QC issues like were reported a lot here in the earlier posts, but I only had it for 4 weeks so far.

I put a matte screen protector on it and am happy with it. Makes the screen a bit more grainy, but the writing quality and ease of viewing in illuminated rooms makes up for it so far. I use a large Samsung S-Pen most of the time and am happy with the tacking. I come from a Samsung XE700T1C, which is a great laptop, but a poor tablet and because of the weight and size I haven't used it as much as I thought. I am looking forward to selling that one to someone who needs it and am going to keep my Asus Note 8. I will have to see how my Nexus 7 2013 will be used in the future, though. :D Only thing I will miss is being able to run most games from my Steam library because of the Core i5 and the easily attachable keyboard, but that only comes into play when I'm on vacation (so once a year for 2 weeks at most).

I'm not sure if I read about it here already (nearly 150 pages and I have skimmed a lot of them), but I bought this product (not sure if I am allowed to post to a retailer site, if not I will delete it):
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB-...-8-X98-VivoTab-note8-M80ta-WT/2024712630.html
    And it works as described. When on switch 1, I can use it as a 4 way USB-OTG hub and I can plug the provided 2A/5V Asus charger into it and have the tablet not change battery state. Yes, the tablet does not charge and does not go into "charge mode" from the energy profile (kinda messing up some of my standby/display time out settings which are different for battery and charging), but the battery does not decrease in power either. Seems like that is the best we can hope for, because of the way Asus implemented it all. But for the 14€ I paid including shipping, I'm happy. Attach a keyboard, mouse, storage and gamepad and you got yourself a makeshift PC and retro gaming station. It even works when going into standby and waking up again, at least so far. I haven't found something that so explicitly stated it works with the Asus from European retailers / western brands, so I went with the Alibaba one.

€dit: And it seems solidly built as well and is decently small: the cable is 28.5 cm, the unit block 9.8cm long and 2cm x 1.6cm thick. 2,54cm = 1 inch for my US based friends. :D

I also have this type of cover, which I'm sure many have:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/221403597646
    It's bulky, but the swivel is useful and the protection is decent. It does not have magnets but keeps close via a rubber string which can double as a pen holder. I also like that the front bezel is not covered by leather as is the case for many cheap cases.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    fishdavis likes this.
  5. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for this amiduos link, btw (and the info about the win reinstall). amiduos actually runs pretty well even full screened on the avtn8 (though full screening it does seem to make it run more slowly). have been thinking about freeing up more space on the note 8 for a while but avoiding the time investment...

narutoninjakid likes this.
  6. fishdavis

Yoyo likes this.
  7. Yoyo

Yoyo Scribbler - Standard Member

@ fishdavis:

Great find, I can't wait to get home and try this on my backup tablet. The wifi issue isn't that huge a deal but it is annoying.

8. fishdavis

Yeah, really annoying! Everytime I restarted I would have to go into the Broadcom driver settings and switch bandwidth modes until it refreshed the connection and started working again. Sometimes this took a few tries.

So far this is working, but we'll see. Let me know if it works for you.

9. Caldeio

Caldeio Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to add that the usb port can support a Corsair K70 RGB with the full effects with a otg cable. One usb port need only.

10. Yoyo

Yoyo Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I've tried using the wifi with both of the driver versions my VT8's have, and can see no difference in performance.

I waited to try it until I was trying to use wifi that others connected to, but I couldn't, and nothing seemed to change.

Is there some place I should look for older drivers to try?