Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have been debating with myself if I should start using Speech Recognition on the Asus. First off, does the 3.5 mm jack take both speakers and mics? If not, where is the internal mic located? I looked around again and again, and I see no small opening for sound. Hadn't really thought about it Before, but that is just because it is a feature I hadn't been using.

What about BT sets? I know, it looks sooo 90's, but if it works better than holding the tablet up to my mouth (also kind of dorkey) I can live with the stares and the head shaking.
    Is anyone using the Asus for serious speech recognition/dictation?

I have Dragon but haven't installed it on the ASUS (resource hog) but if it is significantly better then WSR I'm all for it.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Some devices will handle speech recognition via BT headsets while others only work when you speak into the mics, which will generally pick up your voice even if you can't find the tiny holes where they are. Personally, I've always felt silly talking to a device except alone in my car while driving! Fwiw, the latest versions of Dragon are extraordinarily accurate.

3. AnnAAyms

AnnAAyms Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't tested it myself but according to TabletPCreview's review of the Asus Note it has "one audio headphone/microphone jack" listed as do a few other sites.
    http://www.tabletpcreview.com/tabletreview/asus-vivotab-note-8-review/

As far as the built in microphone according to the manual it is:
    asus note.jpg
    Checking the side of my note I can see a small hole above the power button as well.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I probably need glasses. Vanity won't permit it though.
    Did a little testing using two different BT sets, the older worked better, think the power management in the newer turns it off as soon as it is quiet. I think the problem is the Atom processor and the eMMC, voice data's it's perhaps a little too much to handle together with other background processes running as well. This should be available in the Event Viewer, right?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It appeared to me that I wasn't getting the same amount of battery life from my M80TA as I had recalled when it was newer. Wondering how much capacity my battery may have lost in a year, I dl'd HW monitor and ran it. 8% loss in only a year?:vbeek:

[​IMG]

Kumabjorn and WillAdams like this.
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Bronsk, just curious, if your AVN8 were to implode, would you give the Toshiba Encode Write a serious look? Put another way, my wife is finding here SP1 excellent in all respects (kickstand and battery life not important for her use case) except weight and bulk. Giving price it's due, but not making it a key decision variable, from what you know of the Toshiba would you recommend she get it, or go for the AVN8. Her uses are primarily One Note, Excel and Word. It's for Elementary Ed apps she created/adapted and uses in the classroom and has shared with quote a few other teachers and researchers.
    Thanx,
    Jeff

7. 1454

1454 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can I ask a semi unrelated question. Does anyone know of a better onscreen keyboard to match that of some of the andriod offerings? I find the built-in one horrendous when not using the pen.

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Not that I've found. The third party keyboards are even worse IMO.

1454 likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I would clearly give the Encore 2 Write a serious look. It has a more powerful 1.83 ghz Atom (vs 1.3 ghz). You can dock the Toshiba and use it while it is charging. http://www.toshiba.com/us/detailpopup?seg=HHO&poid=2000134438&mainpoid=2000134537&allowcart=true It looks like Toshiba intends to make a cover for the Encore 2 and a keyboard folio. All good stuff. As a tablet, standing alone, it has the edge on the M80TA. I do like the Color of the M80TA better. I think the black is more professional (but that is clearly subjective). The Supcase for my M80TA is great and I love typing with my old Slate 500 KB. Probably most of all, the pen is where it belongs, in the silo. I have not used the pen on the Toshiba yet, but I will be moseying around BB soon to check it out next to my M80TA. So, yea, I would give it a serious once over.

Bay Trail is already a year old. If she can wait, I expect that we will see Cherry Trial devices in six months or so, since the Atom SOC was announced at CES earlier this month.

Those of us who had the Slate 500, running W7 Pro used an aftermarket KB. There's a thread for it in the Slate 500 area. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/my-slate-use.45029/

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    1454 likes this.
  10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Both SoCs have the same turbo (1.83 ghz) and base clock (1.33 ghz). I expect the performance is nearly identical, and the benchmarks I've seen so far seem to reflect that.