Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Check your hardware listing when it happens. There's probably one that has faulted. Disable and Enable should do it (don't know the name of it from the top of my head, but it's in the same listing as where you can find the pen driver). I've had it happen at times, since the first week I had my device.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Are you still using yours Bronsky? I just ordered a factory refurb 64gb for note taking (hoping refurb fixed pen/screen issues). With my wife's ankle surgery I have been home bound a lot lately, so switched back to a 15" laptop with full keyboard for more firepower (and to please old eyes), so needed a note taking device and jumped back to Wacom.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

He is still using it. The pen issue has been solved, but not by Asus. Have you seen my DIY fix thread (it is stickied in the Asus forum)?

Also, welcome back =)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  4. dstrauss

Yes sir - saw your handiwork and have three cables coming from Digi-Key.

I hope this is taken the right way, but I am thinking I should snag a spare VivoTab Note 8 (Asus refurbished - 90 day warranty) for $199, and hoping they likewise fixed the cables. The reason for the spare, besides the obvious, is that I don't see ANYONE making a Wacom-enabled tablet with built in stylus - and that is a gold standard in and to itself.

From what I've been reading up on the Asus forum, it still looks like the great note taker as originally envisioned, now that you have found the fix!

PS - feels good to be back!

2.0™ likes this.
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, I've been thinking along similar lines. Who knows if/when anyone will make another one, so spare parts might come in handy. Asus also sells many of the internal parts, but only through a UK site from what I've seen, and who knows how long they will continue to be available there.

6. dstrauss

Well, it is expensive insurance, but since I only plan to use it with OneNote and as a web browser, I threw caution to the wind and picked up a spare. With my luck, Asus will announce the VivoTab Note Pro at CES with CherryTrail and full HD screen, all with Wacom goodness - yeah, right....:rolleyes:

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You just guaranteed it! Thanks.

To your previous question, I use the AVN8 all the time. It is exactly the device I was searching for when I bought the Slate 500 a few years ago. Pen and touch have worked fine on my tablet. I love writing with the Wacom pen. I do all my timekeeping with Drawbaord and a PDF timeslips form. I take all my notes in OneNote. I particularly like using Lexis on the M80TA, as the cases are easy to read on the tablet. I use Tether x to tether to my Nokia 928. My favorite thing is using the tablet to remotely sign PDF's in Drawboard. I also DL cases from Lexis and highlight them like I would do with a highlighter, using the digitizer.

I thought my display was delaminating for awhile but it was the SP that was delaminating causing a weird striation on the display. The charging USB port has been the only real weak spot on my tablet and I was able to fix that with a needle nose pliers. I'm actually surprised at how well the tablet has held up given the amount of use it has gotten. I've nearly destroyed the original Supcase. It's cracked in two spots but the M80TA is still in great shape.

Glad to see you back. I'll be keeping my eye out for that Vivotab Note Pro.:newpalm:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  8. dstrauss

The saddest thing of all is after catching up on all of the Asus VTN8 threads (including the excellent "Alternatives" thread), the Asus is still the best (and only) Wacom 8" tablet with a silo (heck, it's almost the only 8" active pen tablet out there). I remember doing backflips about it this time last year, only to abandon when digitizer went out. Now with Meso's fix, I'm back in the 8" saddle again...

Bronsky likes this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Sooo, back to a three device lifestyle?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

10. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Yep, I bought two but gave the other to my brother as an early Christmas gift. Best little device I've owned. Both used daily.

As Bronsky said, it's the device I've been waiting for.