Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Issues like these make me fear that Asus QC is in the decline. I don't know if anyone here has seen the 2009 Square Trade laptop failure rate report, but Asus was #1 in lowest laptop failure rate over 2-3 years. I bought my T100 in part because Asus seemed to have a good reputation as a reliable brand--unless I was misinformed. It's too bad if they are starting to get careless and lowering the quality of their products as they increase the volume of their sales.

2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It was my first symptom before the pen stopped to work.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

:vbeek::vbeek::vbeek:

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

This has happened to me as well. In particular it happened a couple times early on, so before we diagnosed the pen problem I suspected there might be some link as well. However, now that we know it is the cable that goes specifically to the digitizer/touch boards, I seriously doubt they are linked. I think it is two separate problems.

In my case though it happens very infrequently and doesn't seem to be something that gets worse with time. I had it happen a couple times early as I said, but now it is very infrequent. Maybe once every couple months.

5. HJK

I picked up this little Penabled tablet for the youngest one in our family for Christmas:
    The good: There is a built in slot for the stylus; the price is amazingly low; the battery literally never runs out; it is the pro edition (whatever that means).
    The bad: The OS doesn't support Legacy Windows applications; the resolution is incredibly low (about 4 ppi); There is no way you can fit this thing in your coat pocket.
    http://www.target.com/p/fisher-pric...#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=fisher+price+doodle

Bronsky likes this.
  6. HJK

Is there anyone out there with much experience using the VTN8 with Here Maps for offline navigation? Can you use it for voice navigation, as, if I understand correctly, can be done on Windows Phone? Can anyone point me to a tutorial that might help?

7. HJK

On a related note, whilst kicking around the internet in vain trying to find such a tutorial, I bumped into some news to the effect that Nokia has turned over their Here Maps for Windows to M$, and they are now turning their efforts towards fine tuning Here Maps for Android and, eventually, iOS.

As someone who has developed an affection for Windows tablets, who is frustrated with their shortcomings, and who wants to see Windows tablets succeed, I find this to be disconcerting, particularly the quote from Szabo to the effect that Nokia is turning now to developing apps for "realistic markets." That's a translation from Finnish, and I'm not certain what it means in this context. But it doesn't sound good.

8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Reader. It's a Metro app which is listed in Apps.

You can adjust screen brightness, or install a utility such as f.lux.

9. Bamboori

Bamboori Pen Pal - Newbie

10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, it should work. The pen from my X61t works on mine.