Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. echoparis

echoparis Pen Pal - Newbie

Also:
    + Its completly noiseless. Always. Very important for me in many situations.
    + Can be charged with any decent USB-Port
    + not the high value target for theft as a surface
    + smaller footprint allows good use even in cramped environment (as economy plane) with BT keyboard in front
    + no fan - no dust, no dirt collects inside, no need to clean internals, which is a mess on many core i tablets
    + very very good price
    + GPS, which is missing on a lot of devices (as surface pro), very helpful outdoor & for navigation
    + pen stays in its own place in the device, no "now where did i put the pen"

I decided against the surface pro - got the Sony Vaio Tap 11 instead (that has mobile 3g, gps, infrared remote, 11.6 screen and is at 750-800 gramm and has a detachable keyboard) and the vaiotab note 8.

The vaiotab i use most of the time - 380 grams are so easy to hold & carry for a long time (800 grams or 1000 are not), the size is perfect for bed & carry on (surface pro and vaio tap are already a bit bulky for that). I switch to the vaiotab 11 if i need the larger screen size, which is rarely the case, or for presentation which more than 2,3 folks.

I disagree, i strongly recommend to buy the Vivotab Note 8.
    a) my unit worked flawlesss from day 1.
    I am aware that we have here a focal point for users which were unlucky and got a defective pen on their unit, but asus would loose a LOT of money if even 1% of the tablets would have the issue. BTW: Here in Europe, Asus sells with 2 years of warranty - you can imagine that they MUST have less than 1% defective units in that time period

b) actually being able to potentially fix & DYI the vivotab note 8 IF wished or necessary is a big advantage
    My ipad (which only collects dust since i got the vivotab) or a surface pro etc cant be simply serviced like the vivotab. They dont have easy snap-on covers, they have glue everywhere. they dont use standard tools like the vivotab etc. Or even if one simply wants to swap the battery after 2 years - complicated on surface pro / ipad etc.

c) There is nothing new coming, which really makes a difference.
    Actually, the newer & upcoming atom cpus arent faster, dont save a lot of power. the baytrail cpu&gpu in the vivotab (and other devices with it) is just fine. Speakers, Cams are fine as well. The display is bright - even for outdoor, has a good quality, good viewing angles, nice contrast. wifi is duaband. 2GB Ram is enough for office, photoshop etc, as long one doent do heavy multitasking. So it has all which is needed.

So, what do we wait for . 1920*1080p display on 8 inch? well, many people (as me) actually prefer 1280 as i can still use windows desktop software without scaling up & with fingers. Additional monitor-output & second usb port for stationary use? Yeah, but any 50-75$ usbdock adds that anyhow, and for stationary work, the surface pro (or the core i7 at home) is better anyhow.

d) less loss on the invest
    And even IF one wishes to buy a newer device some day: with the asus vivotab at 199$, its easy to resell for 150, 100$, so one doesnt loose a lot of money anyhow.

So, why wait. The advantages of the small footprint are the main benefit over a surface pro.

2. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't come from a SP2 to a VTN8, but I do have both. I had the VTN8 before I had the SP2 (8Gb version)

For me, the SP2 stays home, while the VTN8 goes wherever I go. USB chargeable vs dedicated plug chargeable, weight is a lot less (easier to carry in one hand while still writing notes), is smaller (even fits in my coat pocket), and the pen is always available (might not be the best pen in the world, but if it's a pen vs nothing, I prefer the pen).

I don't have a type cover for my Surface, but ordered a bluetooth separate keyboard, so I can use it for all three of my tablets (one Android, two Windows)

The new announcements would have been leaked during the last month. As I've not seen any, I wouldn't hold my breath for any new 8" active digitizer full windows tablet, with 2Gb+ memory.

I even have my SP2 at 150% and that's 1920x1080 on a 10" screen... Besides, I like the fact that the AVTN8 is 16:10 and not 16:9...

3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these little bad boys and play with it over break/test it out during the first few weeks of next semester. Something that size is really intriguing. I realize there are always compromises, but in reality there hasn't yet been a moment where I needed to do heavy multitasking, audio recording, photoshopping, or video editing when I was out and about. It could always wait until I got home on my desktop.

Will update you guys and looking forward to being part of the VTN8 family :cool:

I will do my research, but for those of you with a travel BT keyboard, can you link me with the one you found to be best. If there's one with the same charging port (microSD on the VTN8 ya?) that would be sweet to only have to carry one charger around.

One last question: I haven't used an x86 machine in years. Any weird limitations experienced now-a-days, other than x64 only programs?

4. Largrande

Largrande Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it possibel to cahnge the WiFi Adapter to a faster one ? some things like Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 ? I could really use more than 65 M/bist

HJK likes this.
  5. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I bought the K480 Logitech bluetooth keyboard. It uses standard batteries.

6. snoxu

snoxu Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the battery user replacable?

I'm wondering if the standard warranty would cover a dead battery.

Pondering getting an extended 3 year store warranty for 24 euro bucks.

7. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I just sprang for the Asus Vivotab Note 8. The 32 GB edition was available on Amazon for pre-order for $199! It's for my wife to do art. She's not crazy about me spending the dough right now, but I think she will love it!

8. Caldeio

Caldeio Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you sure you got the note and not the non note version?

She'll like it! My GF loves taking mine lol

HJK likes this.
  9. HJK

This is the Note 8. I have been watching obsessively for the past month or so. There are four listings, 2 for 32gb and 2 for 64gb. About once a week or so Amazon will tuck away a preorder option on the third party vendors listing for really cheap, and it will go away really quickly, so you have to act fast. 2 or 3 weeks ago the 64gb was listed this way for $220. I was hoping that would popup again. It hasn't, but three times since the 32 gb has popped up for $199.

10. HJK

Anyone know of any workarounds that will allow you to install Metro apps ōn a micro sd card? Thanks in advance.