Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. bobor

bobor Pen Pal - Newbie

Just really started using this device recently but I can't seem to find if there is a stock eBook app preinstalled. Is there one?

Also some of the ads I read said that it was possible to chang ether screen settings so reading ebooks would be easier on the eyes. How do I change this setting?

2. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ready Boost?

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Never really used it. It can compensate for inadequate RAM? Now that I think about it, I have a 32 bit OS too, so a full 4GB is not likely. Would hate to have to buy a tablet just to run Lexis for Office.

BTW all, took my AVN8 to BestBuy today with a screen capture of an add for a product I was trying to have them match (they did and saved me a 50 min drive to the local Microcenter:p). The AVN8 was a hit. At least two customers wanted to buy one so I sent them to the Microsoft store. I felt like the Gimbals Santa in the Miracle on 34th Street.

Mesosphere, HJK and fishdavis like this.
  4. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Any suggestions on styli that work well and cost little, preferably with eraser? I know there is a plethora of options, since Wacom has been around for a good while.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

HJK likes this.
  6. dgosho

dgosho Pen Pal - Newbie

My son's M80TA-C1-BK has a crack in the screen. It isn't effecting touch or pen input. But it is concerning.... Does anyone no where I can get a replacement screen or even if it is DIY recommended?

7. Caldeio

Caldeio Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you sign up for the ADP protection thing? It's one year for this type of thing for free. You email them your info within 30 days.

8. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey guys, have been eyeing this tablet over the course of the week and keep coming back to it. Wanted to give you a little background:

I'm a college student and always took notes with pen and paper. I bought a Surface Pro 2 at the beginning of this past semester and it was seriously the best investment I ever made for school; I have the i5, 4GB version. It's all I carry around for notes (OneNote).

At home I have a m-ITX i7-4770k delidded and OC'ed to 4.5GHz, so that's my heavy hitter. I realize I cannot truly compare the VivoTab to the SP2 because they're entirely different machines, but the VTN8 still intrigues me. In all honesty, I BARELY use the SP2's keyboard and have yet to use it at school when taking notes; it's mostly a cover and comes off immediately. At home, I do use the SP2 a little bit but it's usually my desktop or my mobile phone. In bed and stuff, the SP2 is still a bit unwieldy to use (for me) as a media consumption device.

As a nerd and tech geek, it's always nice to have the beefier, more badass machine, but I'm wondering for my use case if the VTN8 would be more useful. Especially if (hopefully) console OS works for the VTN8, it seems like the perfect tablet to dual boot Windows and Android.

I'm leaving for winter break tomorrow and my SP2 will come along with me. It'll be nice to have a powerful hybrid, but I'm wondering if I'd do just fine with the VTN8 too. For those of you with a VTN8 that have traveled for an extended period of time (2+ weeks), did you ever feel hindered with the VTN8?

Regarding my biggest use case if I got this machine, has the 8" screen hindered you for note taking? That's of utmost importance to me: the ability to use this as a university and soon to be medical school note taking device.

I think with one of the slick cases you guys have linked to and a small separate keyboard for the off-chance I need one out and about, I think this machine might be great. If any of you came from an SP2 to a VTN8, please share your experiences.

Thanks!

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Well, it's a lot lighter so that makes it easier to carry around and it gets better battery Life.Having said that, you need to be aware that Asis is having some QC problems. A lot of RMAs and DIYs to get the machine you paid for. We'll soon enter a period with a lot of new announcements, and I Think the smarter thing to do is hold on to your SP2 and see if something better might be in the pipeline.

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I use my avn8 for the bulk of my note taking. I find the size much more comfortable than my SP1. The key for me is to take notes in landscape mode. The added comfort is worth the sacrifice in vertical view area.

Back when I was a student, these small tablets didn't exist, so I took notes on a much larger tablet. I think though that it would have been OK because taking notes in class doesn't usually require looking back at your own notes (while actively taking them). At your desk you can open your notebook on your desktop to increase viewing area. Notes are synced across onedrive in near real time.